Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Newbie Question

  • Chris Rempel
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2002

      esteszoo wrote:

       I'm a new member to this group so pardon me if I'm covering old
      ground.

      I live in Saratoga and am trying to get OTA DTV, and have purchased a
      Panasonic TU-HDS20 receiver and a Radio Shack model U-75R UHF
      antenna. I hooked it up on (only a) 10' mast and pointed it towards
      S.F. I seem to be getting only a couple (note: not zero) of stations;
      primarily the Spanish language ones in the 48 - 51 range/. Once I got
      what the receiver said was "5-1", which I assume is a re-
      channelization of the DTV version of KPIX. However, when I tried to
      pull in the CBS HD primetime programming I got nothing. The automatic
      station programming on the receiver seems to ignore the numbers for
      KRON, etc. The few stations I am receiving seem to show up in a
      format that does not fill the screen on my Mistubishi widescreen.

      So, I'm trying to troubleshoot the system but there's a lot of
      variables.

      - Wrong antenna?
      - Mast not high enough?
      - Something I'm not getting about operating the TU-HDS20?
      - Other

      Grateful for any help or input. Thanks.

      Estes

      The Radio Shack U-75 is equivalent to the Winegard 9065.  It is a small UHF corner reflector.  The number 75 comes from it's exaggerated under ideal conditions 75 mile range.  Since you are picking up the spanish channels, you are just getting across the valley to Monument Peak above Fremont.  You should also get KICU on 52.  To Get San Francisco, you need to turn the antenna more towards the west, and you probably need a much larger antenna.  Send me you name, address, phone number, and I can look up exactly where you are, and tell you which hills are in the way.  Selecting the right antenna for HDTV is trick and still experimental.

      Chris aka the antenna doctor

    • Michael Hyman
      Message 2 of 17 , May 8, 2005
        Hi, I have been following the group for a while now, but I still need
        to have a simple question answered.

        I have a Toshiba HDTV (34" wide-screen) and I currently use
        Directv/Tivo unit. I want to add HD service, but I don't know wheter
        to use OTA, Comcast cable or DTV.

        What are the key differences between the three? What are the "right
        questions" to ask to help me make this decision?

        I would love to get the DTV/HD-Tivo, but cost is the gating factor here.

        So, can I please have some guidance and/or a pointer to a good FAQ or
        site that explains all to a newbie.

        Thanks...Michael
      • E Frank Ball
        Message 3 of 17 , May 8, 2005
          On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 11:27:55PM -0000, Michael Hyman wrote:
          }
          } I have a Toshiba HDTV (34" wide-screen) and I currently use
          } Directv/Tivo unit. I want to add HD service, but I don't know wheter
          } to use OTA, Comcast cable or DTV.
          }
          } What are the key differences between the three? What are the "right
          } questions" to ask to help me make this decision?
          }
          } I would love to get the DTV/HD-Tivo, but cost is the gating factor here.

          The Direct TV HD Tivo is not only expensive, but it won't
          work with the new satellites they are putting up for HD
          local channels that will use MPEG4.

          If you want the local networks in HD and over the air isn't
          an option, then Comcast is the way to go. ABC, NBC, CBS,
          PBS, ESPN, Discovery, but no WB or UPN. You don't have to
          up front for the HD DVR box, but the cheapest monthly
          package is over $60/month (it varies a little by city).

          --

          E Frank Ball frankb@...
          Message 4 of 17 , May 8, 2005
            Michael Hyman wrote:

            > I want to add HD service, but I don't know wheter
            > to use OTA, Comcast cable or DTV. What are the
            > key differences between the three? What are the "right
            > questions" to ask to help me make this decision?

            Financially, OTA is best. You pay for an antenna, maybe pay to have it
            installed, and then there's no further charges. You get all of the
            local digital stations including the ten network stations - ABC/KGO,
            CBS/KPIX, FOX/KTVU, NBC/KNTV, PBS/KQED/KCSM/KTEH, WB/KBWB and UPN/KBHK,
            plus Telemundo/KSTS, TeleFutura/KFSF and Univision/KDTV - and the
            independents, too. From here in San Francisco I can get 21 digital
            stations, and if you count sub-channels it's more like 35 channels!

            For a list of the OTA channels, go to my web site:
            http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

            With Comcast you get some of the networks, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and
            PBS/KQED, plus KRON, but none of the other local HD stations. You also
            get the KQED, KGO and KNTV digital sub-channels, as well as a few other
            HD channels. This is probably your best bet for HD after OTA, and they
            have an HD DVR available. The downside is the monthly cost... and it
            ain't cheap.

            DirecTV has a few HD channels now, with local HD channels to be added
            later this year. Dish has some HD channels including 10 new channels
            that were originally on VOOM. Depending on the packages you get, the
            price can vary a lot from about $40 on up to over $100. Both have HD
            DVRs available.

            Personally, I had Dish and dropped it. I was watching everything using
            my antenna and seldom used the Dish reception, so decided to get rid of
            it. I haven't missed it. I haven't tried Comcast or DirecTV.

            I've been very pleased with what I get OTA, but I can't get ESPN or FSN
            that have a lot of games in HD, nor channels like Discovery HD, Bravo
            HD, INHD, etc., so that's something to consider.

            Hope that helps some.

          • Chris Rempel
            Message 5 of 17 , May 8, 2005
              Message 6 of 17 , May 9, 2005

                > If you want the local networks in HD and over the air isn't
                > an option, then Comcast is the way to go. ABC, NBC, CBS,
                > PBS, ESPN, Discovery, but no WB or UPN. You don't have to
                > up front for the HD DVR box, but the cheapest monthly
                > package is over $60/month (it varies a little by city).

                That pricing isn't correct. It is actually much cheaper. I pay $13 a month for broadcast HD
                channels - just now you also get INH1, INHD2 and Discovery HD for no additional charge since they
                are not encrypted but I guess that will change soon.

                All you need is
                1) a digital tuner box (I have the LG 4200a but don't recommend that for the Bay Area - see my
                earlier postings) and plug it in to your basic ($13) cable or
                2) rent a set top box from Comcast ($5/month) and get the service for another $5 a month or
                3) if your HDTV support a cable card have Comcast install it ($15 one time fee I believe) and then
                pay $5 a month for the HD service

                I believe that options 2 and 3 will give you broadcast channel HD.

                I don't know where this myth that HD via Comcast is expensive came from, but I see it in this
                group and AVS Forums all the time ;-(

                Peter

                Discover Yahoo!
                http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
              • Kevin Isacks
                Message 7 of 17 , May 9, 2005

                  Peter

                  It is only expensive if you want the DVR. Then they force you to get standard cable and that pushes the price up to ~$45.99 +$9.95

                  The $60 estimate is not far off for the DVR.

                  Kevin

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                    And the price varies by city. Here in Santa Rosa we pay
                    $8/month in taxes and fees.

                    My bill for standard cable + digital classic + DVR is $72.
                    The minimum for the DVR here is $67/month.

                    /FrankB

                    On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:44:23AM -0700, Kevin Isacks wrote:
                    } Peter
                    }
                    } It is only expensive if you want the DVR. Then they force you to get
                    } standard cable and that pushes the price up to ~$45.99 +$9.95
                    }
                    } The $60 estimate is not far off for the DVR.
                    }
                    } Kevin
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    } > If you want the local networks in HD and over the air isn't
                    } > an option, then Comcast is the way to go. ABC, NBC, CBS,
                    } > PBS, ESPN, Discovery, but no WB or UPN. You don't have to
                    } > up front for the HD DVR box, but the cheapest monthly
                    } > package is over $60/month (it varies a little by city).
                    } >
[...]
                    } Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and more. Check it out!
                    } http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    } _____
                    }
                    } Yahoo! Groups Links
                    }
                    } * To visit your group on the web, go to:
                    }
                    }
                    } * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    }
                    }
                    } * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                    } <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service.
                    }

                    --

                    E Frank Ball frankb@...
                  • pmccolgan
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                      It seems to be the DVR that pushes the price way up since you can't get this with basic HD service
                      and you end up upgrading...

                      peter

                      --- E Frank Ball <frankb@...> wrote:

                      > My bill for standard cable + digital classic + DVR is $72.
                      > The minimum for the DVR here is $67/month.
                      >
                      > /FrankB

                      Discover Yahoo!
                      http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                    • keenan424
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                        $8..? I pay $12.95

                        Franchise Fee 6.59
                        FCC Reg Fee .06
                        Franchis Related Costs/PEG .42
                        Forced Relocate Cost .15
                        City Utility Tax 5.73

                        You're getting a deal Frank..:-)

                        RE: INH1, INHD2 and Discovery HD. You will need a Digital Classic
                        subscription to get these channels. They may free-view them when you
                        first sign up, but they will eventually go dark unless you get a
                        Digital subscription which starts at $55, which is before DVR and
                        Taxes and Fees.

                        <mailto:HDTV-in-SFbay-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
                        > }
                        > }
                        > } * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                        > } <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Service.
                        > }
                        >
                        > --
                        >
                        > E Frank Ball frankb@f...
                      • Michael Skidmore
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 9, 2005
                          >The Direct TV HD Tivo is not only expensive, but it won't
                          >work with the new satellites they are putting up for HD
                          >local channels that will use MPEG4.

                          I may not be totally up to date on the latest news in TV Land but I thought
                          we don't know what is going to be the transition plan for HDTivos to get
                          MPEG4 yet, because D* hasn't volunteered one. But you can say based on their
                          history that they have likely planned this change, especially considering
                          they bought out Tivo and then launched two satellites.

                          As for monthly cost what you pay in extra service fees you make up in
                          customer service. Not having to deal with Comcast's phone un-support is
                          worth paying for. In the race between these two companies D* has always
                          been ahead in number of channels until just lately. I suspect they will go
                          back to being slightly ahead soon.

                          That being said , OTA is the way to go. Now if they come up with a way to
                          carry HD HBO and Showtime OTA I could ditch DTV and save $86/month.

                          I notice they film Fox News Channel in HD and then retransmit segments on
                          OTA HD KTVU Sunday mornings. D* only carries the SD version. I wish they did
                          the full channel in OTA HD.
                        • Jeff Rodrigues
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 10, 2005
                            The program you are referring to is Fox News Sunday.
                            It's presented in SD 480i widescreen on most FOX
                            network affiliates, but not on Fox News Channel. Fox
                            News Channel doesn't have any widescreen or HD
                            programming available.