KRON back to zoomed/stretched broadcast?????

  • davedarche
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2002
      Has anyone else noticed that KRON is back to that lousy
      zoomed/stretched image? They did this back in the summer for about
      4-5 weeks and then went back to 4:1, which was fine with me. Wonder
      what they are up to? I believe we need to start another email
      campaign to encourage them to go back to 4:1 broadcast.

      Any one else?

      Dave D'Arche - Belmont
    • Leo G. Divingracia III
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2002
        davedarche wrote:
        > Has anyone else noticed that KRON is back to that lousy
        > zoomed/stretched image? They did this back in the summer for about
        > 4-5 weeks and then went back to 4:1, which was fine with me. Wonder
        > what they are up to? I believe we need to start another email
        > campaign to encourage them to go back to 4:1 broadcast.

        someone probably screwed up. it was even that way for the informercials...

        --
        Leo G. Divinagracia III
        ldivinag@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2002
          I like it....Better than the black Bars on the sides on my 16x9 tv
          > > Has anyone else noticed that KRON is back to that lousy
          > > zoomed/stretched image? They did this back in the summer for about
          > > 4-5 weeks and then went back to 4:1, which was fine with me. Wonder
          > > what they are up to? I believe we need to start another email
          > > campaign to encourage them to go back to 4:1 broadcast.
          > >

          > someone probably screwed up. it was even that way for the
          informercials...

          > --
          > Leo G. Divinagracia III
          > ldivinag@...

        • Leo G. Divingracia III
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2002
            davidcm wrote:
            > I like it....Better than the black Bars on the sides on my 16x9 tv

            my problem is that they TOOK AWAY the chances of me doing the 16:9
            though. i WANT to be able to do that... not them.

            --
            Leo G. Divinagracia III
            ldivinag@...
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
              The thing I dislike the most about the KRON image is that it is S-T-
              R-E-T-C-H-E-D, which terribly distorts just about everything.

              Furthermore, this a.m., Fox started broadcasting a full screen,
              zoomed image. Everything is in normal perspective (not stretched)
              however graphics and heads are cutoff.

              There doesen't seem to be any middle ground here. I would prefer to
              be in control of how I view the picture, however my Hughes HDTV sat
              box will not allow me to change a 1080i signal, which is how
              everything comes out of it. Not that it is 1080i quality, but I
              assume by using the "component" outputs, it thinks everything is
              1080i and does not allow me to change viewing formats.

              I have my ota's and my Sat coming into the Hughes HDTV Sat box and I
              am not using the HDTV tuner on board my Mit tv. The only option I
              can think of is to put the OTA's into the TV, but then I am at the
              mercy of the formating options of the Mit, plus other issues.

              When I first set it up, I had the OTA's coming into the TV
              directly. Only issue was the OTA was on one input and the Sat was
              on a different input. Changing inputs was problematic, when you
              wanted to switch from an OTA channel to a Sat channel. With both
              coming into the Hughes HDTV Sat box, I can setup channel lists which
              allow combining channels from any source, in the same guide.

              Has anyone else wrestled with this and is doing something different
              with their setup? Comments greatly appreciated.

              > I like it....Better than the black Bars on the sides on my 16x9 tv

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Younghong Cho
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
                >From: "davedarche" <ddarche@...>
                >Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 17:32:13 -0000
                >
                >There doesen't seem to be any middle ground here. I would prefer to
                >be in control of how I view the picture, however my Hughes HDTV sat
                >box will not allow me to change a 1080i signal, which is how
                >everything comes out of it. Not that it is 1080i quality, but I
                >assume by using the "component" outputs, it thinks everything is
                >1080i and does not allow me to change viewing formats.

                The same here with the Toshiba DST-3000. I think the problem is not
                particularly because of 1080i, but because the signal from the stations are
                coming in as 16:9, and some (most?) receivers are forced to keep that aspect
                ratio.

                I don't know how difficult this is for the broadcasters, but the best
                solution, IMHO, is to have a way to switch automatically to 4:3 (not 16:9
                with side bars) when the contents are in 4:3, and switch back to 16:9 when
                the contents change to such. This will give most, if not all, people the
                option to watch it whichever the way they want to watch.

                That said, however, I was quite content with things having side bars for 4:3
                contents so far. Some say that you will get used to the stretched images,
                but it seems to work only for certain (mostly static) contents. If things
                start to move, it feels like you are looking through some warped glasses.
                And the "zoomed" is something the broadcaster should worry about because,
                you know, the advertisers might sue (not that they care that much about the
                DTV broadcast at the moment) because some important information might be cut
                off at the top and bottom.

                Hong.

              • Ted Matsumura
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
                  My personal opinion is to dump the Hughes, and get a DISH 6000 which gives
                  you 720p and 1080i component output, and let's you format your HD in a
                  variety of ways.

                  But there's more, you get a free built-in Echostar tuner...

                  There doesen't seem to be any middle ground here. I would prefer to
                  be in control of how I view the picture, however my Hughes HDTV sat
                  box will not allow me to change a 1080i signal, which is how
                  everything comes out of it. Not that it is 1080i quality, but I
                  assume by using the "component" outputs, it thinks everything is
                  1080i and does not allow me to change viewing formats.
                • Randy Bergen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002

                    > Some say that you will get used to the stretched images,
                    >but it seems to work only for certain (mostly static) contents. If things
                    >start to move, it feels like you are looking through some warped glasses.

                    Never try and get used to stretched images! That is just dumb.
                  • anastrophe2
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Randy Bergen <Randy.Bergen@a...> wrote:

                      > > Some say that you will get used to the stretched images,
                      > >but it seems to work only for certain (mostly static) contents.
                      If things
                      > >start to move, it feels like you are looking through some warped
                      glasses.

                      > Never try and get used to stretched images! That is just dumb.

                      ahem. if one has a 16:9 television, watching unstreched 4:3 content
                      is "dumb", unless you enjoy burned in vertical sidebars.

                      fyi, "dumb" as a pejorative is offensive to those people who are
                      handicapped by an inability to speak. They are not lacking in
                      intelligence. Only 'dumb' people think that dumb people are stupid.
                    • Jeffrey Sanders
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
                        Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KRON back to zoomed/stretched broadcast????? It is always dangerous to use the word “dumb” describing other people.  We should look at our –own- comments before we speak!  As it turns out, the sidebars are NOT the part that gets burned in.  If the screen is black, it is not being used.  The burn in occurs on the part that does get used.  When you see a television that is ruined because of watching 4:3 content, the burn-in actually occurs in the middle, that is why the side bars appear brighter (because they haven’t been warn as much as the middle).  That is why some receivers like the dish 6000 give the option of grey sidebars so that the side bars wear more evenly as compared to the 4:3 content.

                        On 12/3/02 10:29 PM, "anastrophe2" <yhgroups@...> wrote:

                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Randy Bergen <Randy.Bergen@a...> wrote:

                        > >  Some say that you will get used to the stretched images,
                        > >but it seems to work only for certain (mostly static) contents.
                        If things
                        > >start to move, it feels like you are looking through some warped
                        glasses.

                        > Never try and get used to stretched images! That is just dumb.

                        ahem. if one has a 16:9 television, watching unstreched 4:3 content
                        is "dumb", unless you enjoy burned in vertical sidebars.

                        fyi, "dumb" as a pejorative is offensive to those people who are
                        handicapped by an inability to speak. They are not lacking in
                        intelligence. Only 'dumb' people think that dumb people are stupid.

                      • bryn4ne
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2002
                          It's all a matter of personal preference.  Personally I prefer to watch the entire image undistorted.  This means watching black bars at the top and bottom of the image for widescreen material on a normal TV, and black bars on the sides for normal content on a widescreen TV, and sometimes black bars at the top and bottom for cinemascope films like Star Wars.

                          As far as burn in is concerned, if the TV is setup properly with the contrast as a reasonable level there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

                          Bryn4ne

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 4, 2002

                            >>Never try and get used to stretched images! That is just dumb.
                            >>

                            >ahem. if one has a 16:9 television, watching unstreched 4:3 content
                            >is "dumb", unless you enjoy burned in vertical sidebars.

                            Isn't the purpose of all this fancy TV gear so we can watch great video?
                            Why would anyone stretch the image and distort it? And why? TO SAVE THE
                            TV!!! You've got it backwards. The TV is supposed to work for you, not,
                            you work for the TV.

                            I think all the TV's running in the wrong mode(s) in department stores
                            and TV showrooms are very bad for HDTV. People who don't know, think the
                            "stretched look" is what it is supposed to be doing, and they won't buy
                            it. Or worse, some are convinced that "they'll get used to it", and
                            attempt to do so! Always watch the picture in the original aspect ratio.
                            Always.
                          • anastrophe2
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 4, 2002
                              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., "bryn4ne" <bfourney@h...> wrote:
                              > As far as burn in is concerned, if the TV is setup properly with
                              the contrast as a reasonable level there shouldn't be too much of a
                              problem.

                              *If* you are talking about non-CRT televisions, then it's true.
                              Otherwise, you're taking a potentially expensive gamble if you watch
                              a significant amount of tv unstretched on a 16:9 display.

                              Even with properly adjusted contrast, brightness, etc., unstretched
                              images have the potential of leaving behind "burned-in" side-bars
                              (yes, as was pointed out, the bars aren't burned in, the image area
                              is aged more than the blank area, but the effect is the same). Even
                              gray bars can do this. Mitsu' recommends no more than 15% of your
                              viewing time be spent unstretched. While I'm certain they are being
                              conservative - primarily to cover their asses - I wouldn't consider
                              going much above that.

                              bottom line, NTSC looks like crap anyway, stretching it is a barely
                              perceptible additional degradation of the image!
                            • anastrophe2
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 4, 2002
                                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@y..., Randy Bergen <Randy.Bergen@a...> wrote:
                                > Isn't the purpose of all this fancy TV gear so we can watch great
                                video?
                                > Why would anyone stretch the image and distort it? And why? TO
                                SAVE THE
                                > TV!!! You've got it backwards. The TV is supposed to work for
                                you, not,
                                > you work for the TV.

                                Most content is currently not HDTV or SDTV. Most is cruddy old NTSC.
                                as i mentioned in another message, stretching an NTSC image is
                                barely a distortion of the shitty image you start with.

                                You're welcome to ruin your TV if you like. I have $8k invested in
                                mine, and the warranty specifically excludes burn-in. I'd prefer to
                                preserve the tubes until all the content is 16:9 native, thank you
                                very much!

                                > I think all the TV's running in the wrong mode(s) in department
                                stores
                                > and TV showrooms are very bad for HDTV. People who don't know,
                                think the
                                > "stretched look" is what it is supposed to be doing, and they
                                won't buy
                                > it. Or worse, some are convinced that "they'll get used to it",
                                and
                                > attempt to do so! Always watch the picture in the original aspect
                                ratio.
                                > Always.

                                Those TV's running in the wrong modes in TV showrooms are usually
                                showing shitty old NTSC to begin with. That does nothing to
                                help 'the cause'.

                                As far as your imperative, it's a non-sequitur. Any time someone
                                comes over to my place for the first time and sees the tv, if it's
                                showing S-O-NTSC, they sometime notice that the image is stretched
                                (after getting over how big the image is). all i have to do is flip
                                it to 9.1, and we have a new 'convert'. invariably they are blown
                                away. then when i point out i'm getting it over the air - no monthly
                                charge - they're sold!