East Fremont nr Paseo Padre/Grimmer bottom apartment - antenna selection help

  • deborah
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2013
      I have a newer HDTV Vizio. I just bought a Clear Cast digital antenna which people are saying is overpriced. I installed indoor okay but when I tried it outdoor facing north taped to a rafter it seems to pull in about 37 channels! I enjoy channel 65 ION and 66 KFSF but 66 sometimes pixels out. I also just bought a VHF dipole antenna for $5 just to try.
      This is such interesting technology! I'll be damned if I'll ever pay
      for cable again! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      Are there any local Fremont meet-ups for discussions?
      Deb
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2013
        Hi Deborah...

        You should get great reception on lots of channels from Fremont without too much effort.  Several of the local channels transmit from the hills east of you, up on Mt. Allison and Monument Peak, and the others transmit from Mt. San Bruno, just south of San Francisco, from Sutro Tower in the center of San Francisco and a few others further north in Marin and Sonoma Counties.  The only stations that might be a problem for you are the two that transmit from Mt. Diablo.  The hills might be in the way.

        As for an antenna, you need a combination VHF-UHF antenna, since there are stations on both bands.  Something like the Winegard HD7694P   (shown on this page:  http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp?mc=03&m=Winegard&b=Products ) should work well for all the stations, both local and further north.  Point it to maximize the stations from Sutro Tower and you should be in great shape.

        You can see a list of the local stations in my DTV Station Lists linked below.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2013
          Hey Larry,
          You're a life saver! I'm so new at this! Another recommendation from
          Solid Signal website: Xtreme Signal HDB8X Blade 8 Bay Xtreme Antenna
          but I think I'll go with YOUR recommendation instead.
          I'm searching online to verify 'WHERE' and how far in HEIGHT I should mount and place the antenna in my apartment patio area to get best reception? When you say point to Sutro I'm assuming you mean POSITION FACING NORTH?
          Thanks much!!
          Deb

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 13, 2013
            The HDB8X is a UHF only antenna, so it wouldn't be good for channels 7 and 11.  Stick with the HD7694P.  It covers both VHF and UHF.

            Where to mount it and how high?  As high and clear as you can, away from trees and wires.

            The antenna has a front and a back.  The shorter UHF elements are the front, and they should point northwest toward Sutro Tower.  Lock into the position where you get the strongest signals from the stations that transmit from there and you should have no problem with the other locations.

            Good luck with your installation!

            On Jun 13, 2013, at 12:14 PM, deborah wrote:

            Hey Larry,
            You're a life saver! I'm so new at this! Another recommendation from
            Solid Signal website: Xtreme Signal HDB8X Blade 8 Bay Xtreme Antenna
            but I think I'll go with YOUR recommendation instead.
            I'm searching online to verify 'WHERE' and how far in HEIGHT I should mount and place the antenna in my apartment patio area to get best reception? When you say point to Sutro I'm assuming you mean POSITION FACING NORTH?
            Thanks much!!
            Deb

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

            > Hi Deborah...
            >
            > You should get great reception on lots of channels from Fremont without too much effort. Several of the local channels transmit from the hills east of you, up on Mt. Allison and Monument Peak, and the others transmit from Mt. San Bruno, just south of San Francisco, from Sutro Tower in the center of San Francisco and a few others further north in Marin and Sonoma Counties. The only stations that might be a problem for you are the two that transmit from Mt. Diablo. The hills might be in the way.
            >
            > As for an antenna, you need a combination VHF-UHF antenna, since there are stations on both bands. Something like the Winegard HD7694P (shown on this page: http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp?mc=03&m=Winegard&b=Products ) should work well for all the stations, both local and further north. Point it to maximize the stations from Sutro Tower and you should be in great shape.
            >
            > You can see a list of the local stations in my DTV Station Lists linked below.
            >
            > Larry
            > SF
            >
            > - - -
            >
            > On Jun 9, 2013, at 1:47 PM, deborah wrote:
            >
            > > I have a newer HDTV Vizio. I just bought a Clear Cast digital antenna which people are saying is overpriced. I installed indoor okay but when I tried it outdoor facing north taped to a rafter it seems to pull in about 37 channels! I enjoy channel 65 ION and 66 KFSF but 66 sometimes pixels out. I also just bought a VHF dipole antenna for $5 just to try.
            > > This is such interesting technology! I'll be damned if I'll ever pay
            > > for cable again! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
            > > Are there any local Fremont meet-ups for discussions?
            > > Deb

          • Mike Sabin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2013
              KGO-35 is still flaky. The past 2 weeks have been particularly bad, with the station unwatchable at about 11PM on the following dates:

              May 29, May 30, Jun 6, Jun 12, Jun 13.

              The usual symptoms: picture breaks up, pixellates, goes away completely, all the while received signal level is strong and steady. Consistent with the explanation that over-the-air reception of KGO-7 is being lost at Mt Allison.

              This has gone on for well over a year. Different explanations from KGO have been posted here during that time, and I appreciate that, but I wonder -- is it ever going to be fixed? Does the FCC permit a licensed station to operate so unreliably?
            • Stephen H. Fischer
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2013

                For the graph of KGO RF 35 click on this link:

                http://ruka.org/~toast/atscdata/chart.php?c=35&s=2013-05-28T11%3A42%3A53-07%3A00&e=

                For what it looked like with more favorable weather conditions check this
                post, you will need to click on the image.

                http://www.avsforum.com/t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/9300#post_23377814

                KGO RF 7 plot:

                http://ruka.org/~toast/atscdata/chart.php?c=7&s=2013-05-28T11%3A42%3A53-07%3A00&e=

                It's the weather, we had a discussion on AVS as to why they are having so
                many problems including some input from the station engineer.

                > is it ever going to be fixed? Does the FCC permit a licensed station to
                > operate so unreliably?

                Do not expect much effort being put into fixing this until the new RF
                channel assignments are completed.

                For a station (With movies) I like but receive horrible captures see this
                plot:

                http://ruka.org/~toast/atscdata/chart.php?c=14&s=2013-05-28T11%3A42%3A53-07%3A00&e=

                SHF