Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Cozi Sherlock Holmes Postage Stamp aspect continues.

  • Stephen H. Fischer
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 23, 2013

      "Duke And Rat", do you have a link to the user manual for your HDTV? If so
      please make it available.

      Does your HDTV have a menus of "Aspect Ratio's?

      Fusion has
      "Stretched",
      "Original Ratio",
      "16:9 Fixed",
      "4:3 Fixed",
      "4:3 Pan & Scan" and
      "16:10 Fixed".

      "16:9 Fixed" produces a normal display of Sherlock Holmes on my 16:9
      display. Original Ratio is what I normally use for all other of the 105
      streams I receive and has been used in all testing.

      Chuck has reported that his Sony has an option that cures the PS problem
      "I explored the screen settings in the menu and found an option Sony calls
      Auto Full Screen. I turned it on and Cozi TV now displays properly."
      http://www.avsforum.com/t/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/9150#post_22939123

      I have done some testing with VideoReDo and will be looking at "Magnum, P.I"
      on Thursday which I remember was the program you first reported.

      I need to do some number crunching then but it appears that Fusion and the
      other two tuners affected are ignoring the "16:9" stated in the MPEG2 file
      and instead using 704/480 which is 1.4667.

      4/3 = 1.3333 and 16/9 = 1.7778.

      So it may all be about the screen size in the MPEG2 file.

      SHF
    • bill weber
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 24, 2013
        Thank you for the additional info. The problem with the avi forums is the lack of moderation to send threads to archive. This leaves newbie to go through 1000 long threads. All newbies don't know to type "site url question" On sites like calguns this is passed on numerous times.
        It the meantime, I have two diamond ati 650 reference cards in one machine. Only to find most users just want plug an play. And that is why I asked for machines in a sig or the body of the message. I have a LG 4200 digital tuner. I use it to determine if rants like duck&rat's posts are worth responding to. I see now why we normal users are never hearld through the jetsam.

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013

          The AVS long threads are a problem along with IMHO poor search ability.

          Still, if you are subscribed to the threads you want to watch and keep
          reading you can gain a lot of information on things you want to learn more
          about.

          I have 38 subscriptions and seldom post to any others.

          I have 12 that usually have posts and I see the same people on most of them.

          New persons should go to the end and read backward.

          On AVS there are people that are real experts that are subscribed like I am.

          Post are usually answered quickly.

          HDTV-in-SFbay has a few station engineers, one of which sometimes posts.

          Beyond those and Larry, HDTV-in-SFbay is a waste land IMHO.

          The COZI problem gets more interesting, I have found two more streams that
          are 704/480 (4:3).

          Same screen size and marked 4:3 instead of 16:9.

          > I use it to determine if rants like duck&rat's posts are worth responding

          Usually they are not, this one was. Now if he can just find the right button
          on the remote, he will be happy.

          SHF

          > Thank you for the additional info. The problem with the avi forums is the
          > lack of moderation to send threads to archive. This leaves newbie to go
          > through 1000 long threads. All newbies don't know to type "site url
          > question" On sites like calguns this is passed on numerous times.
          > It the meantime, I have two diamond ati 650 reference cards in one
          > machine. Only to find most users just want plug an play. And that is why I
          > asked for machines in a sig or the body of the message. I have a LG 4200
          > digital tuner. I use it to determine if rants like duck&rat's posts are
          > worth responding to. I see now why we normal users are never hearld
          > through the jetsam.

        • Don Hackler
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
            There are actually a few local TV station engineers who read and post
            here on the HDTV-in-SFBay
            yahoo group, but most of them won't actually claim it because they just
            don't need the grief of
            dealing with the problem children. We have enough of those to deal with
            at work.

            A couple of the more active guys retired, so you don't see them anymore.

            I certainly don't have time to deal with AVS.
            - Don

          • Stephen H. Fischer
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013

              Yes, I sometimes post on HDTV-in-SFBay hoping that if some thing IS ACTUALLY
              WRONG, the right people may get a message.

              But not always.

              When one station was literally turning off another stations transmitter it
              took one of my posts to an obscure thread to have someone go into the FCC
              records, find the person's (Station Engineer) phone number and call him to
              alert him to the problem.

              The COZI problem has turned out very strange. 704x480 is stated in the MPEG
              file as 16:9 and other stations say 704x480 is 4:3.

              Both are wrong! See the math at the end.

              How long will COZI last with this odd screen size. That brings up the
              question why are at least two other of the 105 streams I receive using this
              odd screen size. Maybe I should have read the ATSC document that I
              downloaded years ago but did not.

              It took a lot of work on my part to get to that answer, I was hoping for
              some help along the way.

              Thanks for the posts you have made and will make.

              SHF

              > There are actually a few local TV station engineers who read and post
              > here on the HDTV-in-SFBay
              > yahoo group, but most of them won't actually claim it because they just
              > don't need the grief of
              > dealing with the problem children. We have enough of those to deal with
              > at work.
              >
              > A couple of the more active guys retired, so you don't see them anymore.
              >
              > I certainly don't have time to deal with AVS.
              > - Don
              >

              > On 2/25/2013 1:35 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
              >> Hi,
              >>
              >> The AVS long threads are a problem along with IMHO poor search ability.
              >>
              >> Still, if you are subscribed to the threads you want to watch and keep
              >> reading you can gain a lot of information on things you want to learn
              >> more
              >> about.
              >>
              >> I have 38 subscriptions and seldom post to any others.
              >>
              >> I have 12 that usually have posts and I see the same people on most of
              >> them.
              >>
              >> New persons should go to the end and read backward.
              >>
              >> On AVS there are people that are real experts that are subscribed like I
              >> am.
              >>
              >> Post are usually answered quickly.
              >>
              >> HDTV-in-SFbay has a few station engineers, one of which sometimes posts.
              >>
              >> Beyond those and Larry, HDTV-in-SFbay is a waste land IMHO.
              >>
              >> The COZI problem gets more interesting, I have found two more streams
              >> that
              >> are 704/480 (4:3).
              >>
              >> Same screen size and marked 4:3 instead of 16:9.
              >>
              >>> I use it to determine if rants like duck&rat's posts are worth
              >>> responding
              >> Usually they are not, this one was. Now if he can just find the right
              >> button
              >> on the remote, he will be happy.
              >>
              >> SHF

            • Ron Economos
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                The aspect ratio sent in the MPEG-2 video stream is the
                aspect ratio of the intended display, not the aspect ratio
                of the pixels.

                I said it a month ago and I'll say it again, there is nothing
                wrong with the Cozi signal sent by KNTV. In fact, sending
                16:9 is a wonderful feature of Cozi. You get to see 16:9
                movies (such as "The Producers" last weekend) without
                letterbox bars.

                However, this time I'll indicate my credentials. I'm a
                semi-retired engineer in the video compression industry
                since 1993 (20 years). My last high profile project was
                the Motorola DSR-6100 IRD/Transcoder that it used
                by every cable head-end in the country to convert ESPN's
                MPEG-4 satellite feed to MPEG-2 for distribution. Before
                that, I developed the MPEG-2 encoder for analog channels
                in the Motorola DCT-6412 DVR.

                But it's super annoying to have to state credentials for
                folks believe what you post. It makes me (and others
                as Don Hackler suggests) not want to participate.

                Ron

                Hi,

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013

                  I am not complaining about a picture that fills my 16:9 display, in fact I am very glad and wish more streams were sent this way.

                  A lot of my DTV viewing is done using VLC Media Player that allows me to crop the 16:9 picture sent as SD to fill the entire 16:9 screen.

                  I just may have discovered another switch in VLC Media Player to allow 16:9 pictures letterboxed and pilloried and sent as 16:9 to allow the 16:9 program to fill my 16:9 screen. Something that I have wished I could do for a long time. I just have not captured a program lately sent this horrible way.

                  Of the four tuner types I have, only the type that has defective software and aborted when KKPX (ION) sent bad PSIP a while ago showed the Postage Stamp picture problem. It has a switch to fix the problem.

                  The second report OTA has a switch to correct the Postage Stamp problem.

                  It just remains for "Duke and Rat" to report that their tuner also has a switch to fix the Postage Stamp problem. It is a very small number of tuners that do the wrong thing, just "Duke and Rat"'s bad luck to have one.

                  As I said, I did not read the ATSC

                  document when I downloaded it years ago.

                  Today, If I remember correctly, you must pay the cost of printing the document starting with buying the land to grow the trees on for the paper, the cost of bricks used in building the pulp mill, the cost of obtaining the ink, the cost of the building the press is in, the cost of mining the ore for the printing press ... and so on.

                  If it is a free download, please provide a link and perhaps I will skim it for the answer.

                  Sorry but I did not understand your previous post if it was the one with pictures, I am not one of the people that learns everything from youTube.

                  I needed to use my calculator to do 4/3, 704/480 and 16/9 to understand.

                  I do not know where my slide rule is so I could not use it.

                  Pictures, no help, simply showing "4/3, 704/480 and 16/9" would have done the trick.

                  SHF

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                    All the ATSC specifications are free to download. A/53 is the
                    main specification.

                    http://www.atsc.org/cms/index.php/standards/standards?layout=default

                    A/54A is also useful.

                    http://www.atsc.org/cms/index.php/standards/recommended-practices

                    However, the MPEG-2 specification is more useful in regards to
                    aspect ratio. You can download an older version here which is
                    entirely adequate for aspect ratio research.

                    http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.262-199507-S/en

                    For some reason, the aspect ratio of non-square pixel
                    formats like 704x480 is very difficult for folks to understand.
                    The use of pictures was an attempt to make it easier
                    ("seeing is believing"), but it's difficult to know what's
                    going to help for everyone.

                    Ron

                    Hi,

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 25, 2013
                      For the record, I am a retired radio engineer.

                      I have been cursed with an ear that automatically locates defects in audio.

                      Therefore, when most people watch ... say, the Tonight Show with Leno ... if they hear the mouth move, they conclude there is nothing wrong with the audio. Unfortunately, people like me and Ron Estes, who was the audio engineer when Carson was hosting the show, both held our fingers over our ears at what the show had become. A few years ago before he died. "Duke," Ron wrote me once, "TV is a vast wasteland of bad audio." Mostly, he was referring to Leno's audio, which is about as good as an AT&T dial up phone.

                      Neither of us knew or know anything about what you guys do. I suppose you could call us dirt. The low man on the totem pole.

                      But back when we were working, there were real human beings, that would respond to problems. You could actually talk to an engineer in charge. Now there's computers that don't even realize that they're airing a movie without sound. And they apparently can do so for 45 minutes and not know it. And they also apparently can mess us the aspect ratio. And industry executives raking in millions.

                      But all in all, I would appreciate a little more respect from everybody here.

                      To answer your question, there are no settings. This is apparently another comcast problem.

                      BD

                    • Stephen H. Fischer
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 26, 2013
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 26, 2013
                          On 2/25/2013 11:30 PM, Duke And Rat wrote:
                          > For the record, I am a retired radio engineer.
                          >
                          > I have been cursed with an ear that automatically locates defects in audio.
                          >
                          > Therefore, when most people watch ... say, the Tonight Show with Leno ... if they hear the mouth move, they conclude there is nothing wrong with the audio.

                          I'm both a radio engineer and a TV engineer.

                          In most TV control rooms these days, as long as the LED bar graph VU
                          meter is moving, the audio is considered working. The audio monitors
                          are often not even turned up.

                          That's assuming there's even anybody in the control room at all.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 26, 2013
                            Thank you for being civil.

                            I have a engineer friend at a NETWORK station in the central valley. He says their audio monitor (as of last year, when he was hired) consisted of a 60's era radio shack stereo amp with germanium transistors, and ONE 8" radio shack speaker in the original cardboard box, with holes punched in the cardboard for the audio to come out, connected to the left channel.

                            BD

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 26, 2013
                              That was probably a better sound system than most of the the TV sets on the market.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 26, 2013
                                Well, I use a homemade amp and speakers. It goes boom-boom and tweet-tweet.

                                My engineer friend says the cardboard enclosure(?) from his station cut off all the lows, and the midrange was squishy.

                                But if you really wanna talk about bad audio ... how about those table top metal TV's from the early 60's? They had a 3-4" speaker that acted more like a tweeter than a midrange, and if actually managed to find any bass, it would jar a tube in the IF strip or Horizontal Osc and make the picture vibrate with the sound.

                                I hated those things!

                                BD

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 28, 2013

                                  I was able to download the documents. There is not sufficient time remaining in my life to understand much.

                                  Thanks.

                                  I am wondering if this guess is ~ correct,

                                  That the pixel shapes for the following resolutions is about the same:

                                  1920x1080 (16:9 program on 16:9 display)

                                  1280x720 (16:9 program on 16:9 display)

                                  704x480 (16:9 program on 16:9 display)

                                  704x480 (4:3 program on 4:3 display)

                                  > For some reason, the aspect ratio of non-square pixel

                                  > formats like 704x480 is very difficult for folks to understand.

                                  I think I am in that class, but then "string theory" is just as far beyond me.

                                  You do say non square, does that mean that the first two are square?

                                  I do have an idea of the "big bang" down very hot.

                                  Looking at your pictures I think that they were not helpful to me was because they did not show the additional black bands I am seeing.

                                  I was looking at a screen that is fixed in size with an additional black band and your pictures were wider than each other with out the additional black band.

                                  The document parts I scanned clearly show 704x480 in places. So that was not just stations guessing at a V and H.

                                  Finding two streams marked 704x480 (4:3) in addition to COZI's 704x480 (16:9) was a surprise.

                                  ------------------------------

                                  I now have a Magnum, P.I. Which the OP first complained about.

                                  It looks exactly like Sherlock Holmes does on Fusion with original ratio selected, an additional BLACK band on both sides. Selecting 16:9 Fixed produces a normal picture. MyHD and VLC Media Player also show a normal picture.

                                  So this problem is understood, an programming error in the tuner!

                                  SHF

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 1, 2013
                                    The pixel (sample) aspect ratio can be calculated like this (from
                                    section 6.3.3 of the MPEG-2 specification I linked to):

                                    sample aspect ratio = display aspect ratio * horizontal size / vertical size

                                    So for 1920x1080 at 16:9 it would be:

                                    (9/16) * (1920/1080) = 1 (square pixels)

                                    For 704x480 at 16:9 it would be:

                                    (9/16) * (704/480) = 0.825 (non-square pixels).

                                    The typical way to test aspect ratios is to use a test pattern
                                    with circles. Any distortion can be easily seen. Here's a
                                    few bitstreams I created with a hardware MPEG-2 encoder.

                                    1) 720x480 at 16:9, just like Cozi is sending except 720 wide instead of 704

                                    http://www.w6rz.net/aspect16x9.ts

                                    2) 544x480 at 16:9, just to see how the decoder handles it. 544 wide is a
                                    valid MPEG-2 resolution.

                                    http://www.w6rz.net/aspect16x9_544.ts

                                    3) 720x480 at 4:3 with a display extension for 16:9. Again, just to see
                                    how the decoder handles it. A compliant decoder should display a
                                    16:9 image even though the aspect ratio is signaled as 4:3. Most
                                    (but not all) versions of VLC will do the correct thing.

                                    http://www.w6rz.net/aspect16x9_ext.ts

                                    All clips are about a minute long and about 144 Megabytes. Audio
                                    is silent. Have fun!

                                    Ron

                                    Hi,

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 1, 2013

                                      Fusion with "16:9 Fixed" showed all three clips at full width on my 16:9 screen

                                      When I switched to "Original Ratio" 3) had the BLACK bands added to each side and the circles were not round.

                                      My new 6 - Million Dollar Man Eyes could not really tell any difference with "16:9 Fixed" between the three.

                                      If you have a FTP for uploads, send me a PM with password, I captured an interesting KGO test pattern long ago. (3/6/2006) It's 39 MB in size.