Re: Antenna recommendation for north Fremont

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
      I cut the comcast cord for OTA just this past weekend even though I have been testing it for about two weeks. My home is in Newark just south of Hwy 84 and I use the indoor Leaf antenna and I get great reception.

      I get all the basic channels... still getting used to this new numbering format. Its no longer just ch 2, 4, 5, 7 and so fourth..

      Anthony
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
        Hi J-C...

        You'll probably need two antennas, but you might be close enough to the South Bay site that just one pointed toward Sutro Tower/Mt. San Bruno will work.  You can't be sure until you try it.

        Sutro Tower/Mt. San Bruno are close enough together that one antenna pointed in the 290 to 299 degree direction will work fine.  Since there are stations transmitting on both VHF and UHF you'll need a combination antenna that's designed for both bands.  KGO and KNTV are VHF, the rest are UHF.    See my DTV Station List for the transmitter channel and location for all of the stations:  http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

        You'll note that most stations no longer transmit on their designated channel.  For example, KTVU 2 transmits on channel 44, KRON 4 transmits on channel 38, KPIX 5 transmits on channel 29, etc.  KGO 7, KICU 36 and a few others transmit on the same channel as their designated channel.

        Try one antenna and see if you receive the channels from the hills above Fremont.  If you don't, then you'll need to add a second UHF antenna pointed in the 121 to 124 degree direction.  You can't connect the two antennas together, as the signal from one will fight the signal from the other and you'll get poor results and weaker signal strengths.  You'll need to get an antenna switch at a place like Radio Shack or on the web where you connect both antennas to the switch where you select the one you want.

        Attic or roof mounted?  I think that signals should be strong enough at your location that an attic mounted antenna will work, but putting one in the attic does cut down on signal strength.  The amount that it's cut down depends on the material in your roof and side walls.  For best reception, a roof mounted antenna is always best.

        No amplifier will be necessary for where you are.

        There are few places locally to buy antennas, but lots of places on line to buy them.  Locally you might find something at Fyes or Walmart, but check the Antenna section on my Broadcasting page for links to many different stores and manufacturers that sell them on line:  http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

        Let me know if you have any questions.

        On Jan 29, 2013, at 9:59 PM, J-C Sheen wrote:

        Hello,

        I'm in Brookvale (basically next to Union City) and plan on ditching Directv for OTA HDTV and Netflix/Hulu+.

        Questions:
        - to receive San Bruno/San Francisco/Fremont channels, do I need 1 or 2 antennas? Antenna web gives the towers at 299, 290, 124 and 121 degrees. So, basically, I'm right in the middle of all 4.
        - attic or roof mounted?
        - if I use 2 antennas, what kind of coupler do I need?
        - will I need an amplifier?

        Thanks.

      • deane_gardner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2013
          Aim your main antenna at San Bruno/SF. Aim a secondary antenna at Fremont. Use a Tinlee AC7 to couple the secondary antenna to the first. If you want more than one RF channel from your secondary antenna, use a splitter on the secondary antenna, then feed each split leg into one of two cascaded AC7 units.