Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Retro TV 42.4

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2012
      On Dec 29, 2012, at 1:58 PM, tvrolyk wrote:

      I try to tune in RetroTV 42.4 and my TV tunes 42.4 for a second then shows 01.4 which is "Bounce" network. does anyone else get this.
      I have re-scanned already. Channel 01.1 is channel guide with 01.2-15 various sub channels
      Antenna pointed at Sutro Tower from Bolinas, west Marin coast location. Thanks Tom
      ps: I get 38.5 which shows splash banner to tune 42.4

      It sounds like your tuner is not finding KTNC, the channel that has RetroTV now.  It transmits from Mt. Diablo on channel 14.  Channel 42 is its virtual channel.

      KAXT, with the channel guide and many other sub-channels, is virtual channel 1, but it transmits on channel 42.

      Since your tuner isn't finding KTNC and it is finding KAXT on 42 it briefly shows you 42 but then changes to the virtual channel, giving you 1.1 through 1.20.

      This is one of the problems with this virtual channel situation where the virtual channel is on a channel that another station uses for transmitting.  There are several instances of this:
      KTVU 2 transmits on 44, KBCW's virtual channel
      KRON 4 transmits on 38, KCNS's virtual channel
      KVIE 6 transmits on 9 KQED's virtual channel
      KEMO 50 transmits on 32 KMTP's virtual channel
      and the list goes on.  Some tuners can get very confused by this duplication of channel numbers.