Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] CALM Question

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2012
      It may be different today, but a few years ago before digital, I called KTVU to complain about an audio problem they were having. I never got to talk to the chief engineer, but was routed to a lesser engineer, who poo-pooed my complaint and uttered: "Audio? This is a TV station. We do video."

      BD

      On Dec 23, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Don Hackler wrote:

      > Nonsense..
      > Call and ask for the chief engineer.
      > If they are having a problem with CALM compliance, they will want to know about it.
      >

      > On Dec 23, 2012, at 12:02 AM, Duke And Rat <dukenrat@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I haven't been to the FCC site, but I believe they would prefer some documentation in the form of a tape, mp3 or video.
      >>
      >> And, in fact, if you make a recording, I'd be very thankful if you shared it with me as well. I can change the audio into a graphic, and tell the world about these lawbreaking heathens!
      >> http://dukeandbanner.com/DTV.html
      >>
      >> Calling the station will most likely be futile. They could care less about you.
      >>

      >> BD
      >>

      >> On Dec 22, 2012, at 11:21 AM, Otto wrote:
      >>
      >>> Last night we were watching ABC. Sound (5.1) seemed balanced with no apparent issues. We switched to Fox (2.1 OTA) at 10 for the news, which was fine until a commercial came on. It sounded like someone had switched the channels around because the side speakers were so loud we almost jumped out of our seats. When the news came back on, the sound was a nice and balanced 5.1. On the next commercial, it was the same thing, the sides were really loud and the fronts were, normal? However, not all commercials were like this so I'm not sure what's going on.

    • Don Hackler
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2012
        Not an unusual attitude for TV guys 15 or 20 years ago.
        Most of the stations are pretty worried about compliance issues now. They just spent a bunch of money for CALM compliance gear, but it's tricky to set up.

        On the other hand, the FCC doesn't have a bunch of time or money to enforce anything that's not homeland security related

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 23, 2012
          Actually, it was about 5 years ago, and the FCC makes surprise visits most of our Sonoma county radio stations, an average of once or twice a year, as the seek ways to make money for the guv'ment. Does that mean they like us better?

          BD

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 23, 2012
            They probably just needed an excuse to go to lunch in the wine country.

            A few years ago the FCC had orders to inspect a lot of stations for EAS and public file compliance once, but that was the last time they did a lot of routine inspections.