Acquiring San Francisco Channels

  • fdx1174
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2012
      I am in 95831/Sacramento.
      Just got MY 20' Mast up on a single level ranch home.
      Attached is an RCA 751 Antenna.
      I have been tweaking it for weeks.
      At first I was getting all the local channels and the following San Francisco:

      KQED/KTVU/KRON/KPIX/KOFY/KBHK

      But for some reason, I have since lost all the SF. Channels.
      TVFOOL and AntennaWeb tells me to point SSW.
      But in that direction I lose my locals.
      I also have a Winegard AP8275 at the top of the mast.
      My local channels seem to come in when the antenna is pointed WNW.
      Any other Sacramento, CA viewers getting the above channels?

      Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2012
        Hi Mark...

        You received the channels from San Francisco when conditions were above average, probably due to inversion layer enhancing the signals.  Under normal conditions you won't get the stations from Sutro Tower or Mt. San Bruno with a small antenna like the RCA 751.  You'd need something with more gain, like the Channel Master CM4228.

        I have the 4228 here in San Francisco and am able to get some of the Sacramento/Stockton UHF stations from Walnut Grove, but not all of them.  A few of the stations don't send a signal in this direction.  I get 3 (RF35), 13 (RF25), 31 (RF21) and 58 (RF46) and I used to 40 (RF40) until a low power station came on the air locally on 40.

        For the VHF stations, 6 (RF9) and 10 (RF10) I had to add a VHF 10 element antenna.

        If you want a combination VHF-UHF antenna with gain I recommend the Winegard HD7084P.

        Besides the better antenna, you'll need a rotor to turn the antenna since the direction for the Sacramento stations is different than for the SF stations, as you noted.

        On Oct 25, 2012, at 5:59 PM, fdx1174 wrote:

        I am in 95831/Sacramento.
        Just got MY 20' Mast up on a single level ranch home.
        Attached is an RCA 751 Antenna.
        I have been tweaking it for weeks.
        At first I was getting all the local channels and the following San Francisco:

        KQED/KTVU/KRON/KPIX/KOFY/KBHK

        But for some reason, I have since lost all the SF. Channels.
        TVFOOL and AntennaWeb tells me to point SSW.
        But in that direction I lose my locals.
        I also have a Winegard AP8275 at the top of the mast.
        My local channels seem to come in when the antenna is pointed WNW.
        Any other Sacramento, CA viewers getting the above channels?

        Mark

      • George Perrin
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2012
          I live in Gold River, a neighborhood just east of Rancho Cordova (zip 95670).  I have a Radio Shack Antennacraft HDX1000 mounted on the roof of my two story.  As Larry notes, my ability to pull in the SF stations varies.  Generally in the early evenings about 6 pm I can get 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 32, 38, 54, and 65.  But after 9 or 9:30 it's a no go;  I kind of assumed it was atmospheric.  I went with the RS antenna because it looks like a dish antenna and I live in a HOA driven community.  While legally we can now put up any antenna we want, visually this is a lot less intrusive.  Even without the SF stations, I still get 25 locals.  I sure do enjoy NOT paying Dish bills monthly.

          George

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
            We are in Sausalito at the north end of town, lots of hills between us and the various antennas in the San Francisco Bay Area.  With our present 30 year old antenna (a Mini-State 5MS-750), we could pull in some stations sometimes and other stations sometimes, but never all the network stations we wanted at the same time.  Did I mention we live on our boat?

            So based on this conversation in this group, I went to Radio Shack yesterday and purchased the Antennacraft HDX1000 ($92 out the door).  It comes in a large box, was not on display, and the clerk didn't even know they carried it.  It was raining when I got home, so we just plugged it in to the back of our TV and set the round dish antenna in the window, did a scan on the TV, and it reported back 62 channels!  Everything we wanted and then some, except it did not get channel 11 NBC.  I bet when the rain stops this weekend and we get it properly mounted outside and up higher we'll get ch. 11 and probably some others.

            Thank you.
            Susie