Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] KGO loss

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012
      Hong, something must have changed on your antenna system.  Has the wind blown it out of alignment by any chance?

      KGO is transmitting at their full authorized power on both channels 7 and 35.

      VHF stations cannot have the high power of UHF stations, so that's why KGO is lower than the others on Sutro Tower.  It has the same coverage as the UHF stations, though, and since it's VHF actually reaches out farther than many of the UHF stations.   By the way,  KNTV at 103 kW is one of the highest powered VHF stations in the country.  Are you able to receive it okay?

      Translators are allowed a maximum of 15 kW.  KGO on channel 35 is transmitting with 12.1 kW ERP from Mt Allison, the same location as KAXT 1 (RF 42).  Can you receive that channel?  You should get both from where you're located.

      On Jun 5, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Hong wrote:

      Since the regular season is over some weeks ago, I haven't been paying too much on TV, and I didn't realize that I have completely lost KGO on 7.1.

      I looked at the messages on this group, and it seems KGO is supposed to be on 35.1. I tried that and it seems I can't get that either. I also noticed that on Larry's page, it seems KGO from both Sutro and Mt. Allison have fairly low power. Is there some work going on?

      Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I am located in 95124 (San Jose / Campbell), close to the intersection of freeway 85 & 17.

      Hong.

      __
    • Stephen H. Fischer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2012

        Hi,

        It's simple, No VHF antenna when one is needed.

        Trees grew taller, another building went up nearby, leaves returned to the trees, ...

        I have a CM4228HD UHF antenna which is wide enough for RF 7 and have no problems in Sunnyvale.

        But, I have a low noise pre amp and a distribution amp feeding my eight tuners, so YMMV.

        Try disconnecting the antenna, then do a full scan which should give no channels.

        Then with the antenna connected, do another full scan.

        That helps sometimes if you cannot add individual RF channels.

        SHF

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2012
          In our area, it's more likely you are currently receiving KGO 7.1 from Mt Allison (UHF-35), which is the stronger signal (if you recently scanned with a smaller and/or non-directional antenna).

          Lately, the 'programming' on this repeater, 35-UHF, has been frequently going off and on (at least it has on my tuner/system: black screen, but still a 90-100% signal strength???).

          I'm nearby at 95129 (Lawrence & 280). Since KGO 7.1 started also transmitting on the nearby Mt. Allison RF channel 35 repeater a year or so ago, my KGO signal strength has gone from ~10-35% to 90-100% here just using an indoor UHF antennas....

          However lately, the problem with the channel 35 repeater is the programming will suddenly quit (black screen), but the signal strength indicator will still be close to 100% (this happens during prime time, news time, etc, - usually for an hour to a few hours - next day, 7 programming is back).

          In the past (before the mount allison repeater was turned on), we were able to receive KGO from Sutro on VHF 7 (which was do-able, but required a lot of antenna repositioning).

          Unfortunately, my tuner automatically picks up the stronger signal when rescanning. In the past, when 35UHF was down (no signal or carrier), I could rescan and go back to receiving the 7-VHF at Sutro.

          Maybe it's a format-software thing... I'm using a CM7000 converter box.

          ....Brian

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Hong" <hongcho@...> wrote:

          > Since the regular season is over some weeks ago, I haven't been paying too much on TV, and I didn't realize that I have completely lost KGO on 7.1.
          >
          > I looked at the messages on this group, and it seems KGO is supposed to be on 35.1. I tried that and it seems I can't get that either. I also noticed that on Larry's page, it seems KGO from both Sutro and Mt. Allison have fairly low power. Is there some work going on?
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I am located in 95124 (San Jose / Campbell), close to the intersection of freeway 85 & 17.
          >
          > Hong.

        • Hong
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2012
            Hmm... This seems to be similar to my problem. My tuner is reporting good signal level on KGO, but no video...

            Anyway, I am going to try adding a VHF antenna soon.

            Hong.

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "le_deuce" <brian_999@...> wrote:

            > In our area, it's more likely you are currently receiving KGO 7.1 from Mt Allison (UHF-35), which is the stronger signal (if you recently scanned with a smaller and/or non-directional antenna).
            >
            > Lately, the 'programming' on this repeater, 35-UHF, has been frequently going off and on (at least it has on my tuner/system: black screen, but still a 90-100% signal strength???).
            >
            > I'm nearby at 95129 (Lawrence & 280). Since KGO 7.1 started also transmitting on the nearby Mt. Allison RF channel 35 repeater a year or so ago, my KGO signal strength has gone from ~10-35% to 90-100% here just using an indoor UHF antennas....
            >
            > However lately, the problem with the channel 35 repeater is the programming will suddenly quit (black screen), but the signal strength indicator will still be close to 100% (this happens during prime time, news time, etc, - usually for an hour to a few hours - next day, 7 programming is back).
            >
            > In the past (before the mount allison repeater was turned on), we were able to receive KGO from Sutro on VHF 7 (which was do-able, but required a lot of antenna repositioning).
            >
            > Unfortunately, my tuner automatically picks up the stronger signal when rescanning. In the past, when 35UHF was down (no signal or carrier), I could rescan and go back to receiving the 7-VHF at Sutro.
            >
            > Maybe it's a format-software thing... I'm using a CM7000 converter box.
            >
            > ....Brian
            >
            > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Hong" <hongcho@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Since the regular season is over some weeks ago, I haven't been paying too much on TV, and I didn't realize that I have completely lost KGO on 7.1.
            > >
            > > I looked at the messages on this group, and it seems KGO is supposed to be on 35.1. I tried that and it seems I can't get that either. I also noticed that on Larry's page, it seems KGO from both Sutro and Mt. Allison have fairly low power. Is there some work going on?
            > >
            > > Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I am located in 95124 (San Jose / Campbell), close to the intersection of freeway 85 & 17.
            > >
            > > Hong.

          • Mike Sabin
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2012
              Similar symptoms here on KGO-35 for several weeks.  I'm in Sunnyvale near El Camino and Hwy 85 and get a strong signal from KGO-35 on an indoor UHF bowtie.  But several times a week, during prime time, it appears as if the program stream is messed up -- the picture winks out every few seconds, eventually going dark and displaying a "program has no content" message.  This despite a strong, stable signal-meter display.  The next day it's fine.  Identical behavior on two receivers:  Panasonic Viera TC-L32C3; and Zinwell ZAT-970A converter box.

              I've always assumed KGO would not have persistent program-stream issues, but I'm coming up empty for other explanations.  Maybe some 600 MHz interferer?

              I'm about to give up on KGO-35 and figure out a VHF solution.  Disappointing, since KGO-35 has a great signal here and all other Mt. Alison / Monument Peak stations are rock solid.

              At 6/7/2012 11:16 AM, Hong wrote:

              Hmm... This seems to be similar to my problem. My tuner is reporting good signal level on KGO, but no video...

              Anyway, I am going to try adding a VHF antenna soon.

              Hong.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "le_deuce" <brian_999@...> wrote:

              > In our area, it's more likely you are currently receiving KGO 7.1 from Mt Allison (UHF-35), which is the stronger signal (if you recently scanned with a smaller and/or non-directional antenna).
              >
              > Lately, the 'programming' on this repeater, 35-UHF, has been frequently going off and on (at least it has on my tuner/system: black screen, but still a 90-100% signal strength???).
              >
              > I'm nearby at 95129 (Lawrence & 280). Since KGO 7.1 started also transmitting on the nearby Mt. Allison RF channel 35 repeater a year or so ago, my KGO signal strength has gone from ~10-35% to 90-100% here just using an indoor UHF antennas....
              >
              > However lately, the problem with the channel 35 repeater is the programming will suddenly quit (black screen), but the signal strength indicator will still be close to 100% (this happens during prime time, news time, etc, - usually for an hour to a few hours - next day, 7 programming is back).
              >
              > In the past (before the mount allison repeater was turned on), we were able to receive KGO from Sutro on VHF 7 (which was do-able, but required a lot of antenna repositioning).
              >
              > Unfortunately, my tuner automatically picks up the stronger signal when rescanning. In the past, when 35UHF was down (no signal or carrier), I could rescan and go back to receiving the 7-VHF at Sutro.
              >
              > Maybe it's a format-software thing... I'm using a CM7000 converter box.
              >
              > ....Brian
              >
              > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Hong" <hongcho@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Since the regular season is over some weeks ago, I haven't been paying too much on TV, and I didn't realize that I have completely lost KGO on 7.1.
              > >
              > > I looked at the messages on this group, and it seems KGO is supposed to be on 35.1. I tried that and it seems I can't get that either. I also noticed that on Larry's page, it seems KGO from both Sutro and Mt. Allison have fairly low power. Is there some work going on?
              > >
              > > Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I am located in 95124 (San Jose / Campbell), close to the intersection of freeway 85 & 17.
              > >
              > > Hong.

            • Hong
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                Update...

                I was about to install a VHF antenna (with Dick's), but I managed to find another ATSC tuner (CM-7000) and tried it.

                Voila! KGO-7 is coming in clear through it. I didn't have a remote for CM-7000 to rescan for KGO-35, so I couldn't verify its reception, but being where I am, I shouldn't have a problem picking it up as well.

                So, the problem seems to Windows Media Center getting confused about two physical channels (7 & 35) having the same virtual channel (7). This makes sense because I started having the problem around the time KGO-35 came on.

                I've tried manually adding KGO-35 to WMC hoping to separate them out, but it's not working.

                Any ideas what I should try with WMC? Any third-party program suggestions with finer conrol over WMC / PC tuners?

                Hong.

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Hong" <hongcho@...> wrote:

                > Since the regular season is over some weeks ago, I haven't been paying too much on TV, and I didn't realize that I have completely lost KGO on 7.1.
                >
                > I looked at the messages on this group, and it seems KGO is supposed to be on 35.1. I tried that and it seems I can't get that either. I also noticed that on Larry's page, it seems KGO from both Sutro and Mt. Allison have fairly low power. Is there some work going on?
                >
                > Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I am located in 95124 (San Jose / Campbell), close to the intersection of freeway 85 & 17.
                >
                > Hong.

              • Stephen H. Fischer
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
                  Hi,

                  There IS a file to handle this problem. I read and looked at this so long ago you will have to do a search.

                  It appears that GUI tools have been created for fixing various WMC TV Channel problems.

                  So editing the raw XML file I learned about years ago may not be necessary today.

                  SHF

                  was my search.

                  I was about to install a VHF antenna (with Dick's), but I managed to find another ATSC tuner (CM-7000) and tried it.

                  Voila! KGO-7 is coming in clear through it. I didn't have a remote for CM-7000 to rescan for KGO-35, so I couldn't verify its reception, but being where I am, I shouldn't have a problem picking it up as well.

                  So, the problem seems to Windows Media Center getting confused about two physical channels (7 & 35) having the same virtual channel (7). This makes sense because I started having the problem around the time KGO-35 came on.

                  I've tried manually adding KGO-35 to WMC hoping to separate them out, but it's not working.

                  Any ideas what I should try with WMC? Any third-party program suggestions with finer conrol over WMC / PC tuners?

                  Hong.

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Hong" <hongcho@...> wrote:

                  > Since the regular season is over some weeks ago, I haven't been paying too much on TV, and I didn't realize that I have completely lost KGO on 7.1.
                  >
                  > I looked at the messages on this group, and it seems KGO is supposed to be on 35.1. I tried that and it seems I can't get that either. I also noticed that on Larry's page, it seems KGO from both Sutro and Mt. Allison have fairly low power. Is there some work going on?
                  >
                  > Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I am located in 95124 (San Jose / Campbell), close to the intersection of freeway 85 & 17.
                  >
                  > Hong.

                • Hong
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 4 9:23 AM
                    Thanks for the info. Guide Tool seems to be a bit more detailed, but Windows 7 Media Center does have a menu to add a channel, and it doesn't seem to be that different.

                    So, I just went out and bought an HDHomerume to try it. And what do you know, KGO 7 comes through it fine. So, it seems to be something with the AVerTVHD Duet I had that doesn't work with KGO 7. I wonder what's in the KGO 7 symbols that make it incompatible...

                    Hong.

                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen H. Fischer" <SFischer1@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > There IS a file to handle this problem. I read and looked at this so long ago you will have to do a search.
                    >
                    > http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/07/managing-tv-listings-with-guide-tool.html
                    >
                    > It appears that GUI tools have been created for fixing various WMC TV Channel problems.
                    >
                    > So editing the raw XML file I learned about years ago may not be necessary today.
                    >
                    > SHF
                    >
                    > http://www.search.com/search?q=Windows+Media+Center+manually+adding+channels
                    >
                    > was my search.

                  • Stephen H. Fischer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4 10:08 AM

                      Hi,

                      The HDHomeRun is a great addition, I have two with four tuners in all.

                      Look at Cliff Watson EPG add-on for MyHD, FusionHDTV, and HD Homerun - AVS Forum

                      http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/659993/cliff-watson-epg-add-on-for-myhd-fusionhdtv-and-hd-homerun/60

                      That program is my main one on my HTPC, it downloads listings once a day ($25/Year) and schedules all the programs I told it to watch and have not seen before.

                      I have seven tuners for it to schedule. The HTPC turns on and off when it needs to do a capture. I watch the captures with VLC, Fusion and MyHD. WMC can be made to play .tp files.

                      I have a wireless router so I can watch DTV anywhere on my laptops using my great antenna system.

                      The problem with KGO is that both RF 7 and RF 35 say that they both are 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3.

                      Sometimes that is a serious problem for a tuner. It has been discussed a lot on San Francisco, CA - OTA - AVS Forum

                      http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newestpost/369015/san-francisco-ca-ota/60

                      SHF

                      Thanks for the info. Guide Tool seems to be a bit more detailed, but Windows 7 Media Center does have a menu to add a channel, and it doesn't seem to be that different.

                      So, I just went out and bought an HDHomerume to try it. And what do you know, KGO 7 comes through it fine. So, it seems to be something with the AVerTVHD Duet I had that doesn't work with KGO 7. I wonder what's in the KGO 7 symbols that make it incompatible...

                      Hong.

                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen H. Fischer" <SFischer1@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > There IS a file to handle this problem. I read and looked at this so long ago you will have to do a search.
                      >
                      > http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/07/managing-tv-listings-with-guide-tool.html
                      >
                      > It appears that GUI tools have been created for fixing various WMC TV Channel problems.
                      >
                      > So editing the raw XML file I learned about years ago may not be necessary today.
                      >
                      > SHF
                      >
                      > http://www.search.com/search?q=Windows+Media+Center+manually+adding+channels
                      >
                      > was my search.

                    • jguilhamet
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 16 12:01 AM
                        If you have lost KGO and/or KTVU on Windows Media Center due to PSIP issues with the channels being broadcast on multiple frequencies, I was able to resolve the issue as follows.

                        1) From the Media Center Menus, select Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> Guide -> Edit Channels

                        2) To fix the problem with KGO 7.1, scroll down the list of channel descriptions and select "KGODT (KGO-DT)-ABC Affiliate)

                        3) on the "SETTINGS FOR 7.1 KGO" screen, choose the "Edit Sources" option

                        4) when the screen refreshes, you should see at least 2 entries (two entries per tuner) for KGODT. One set is for KGO on 7.1' The second set is for KGO on 35.1. If your antenna picks up the SF transmitter best, uncheck the boxes for Channel number 35.1 and leave checked the boxes for Channel number 7.1

                        5) Select save, and save again on the next screen. (Repeat for 7.2 and 7.3 as well)

                        I was also having problems with KTVU 2.1, and was able to resolve the problem using the same process. Media Center had picked up that KTVU is broadcasting on both 44.1 and 48.1. I deselected 48.1 and everything is ok now.

                        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Hong" <hongcho@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the info. Guide Tool seems to be a bit more detailed, but Windows 7 Media Center does have a menu to add a channel, and it doesn't seem to be that different.
                        >
                        > So, I just went out and bought an HDHomerume to try it. And what do you know, KGO 7 comes through it fine. So, it seems to be something with the AVerTVHD Duet I had that doesn't work with KGO 7. I wonder what's in the KGO 7 symbols that make it incompatible...
                        >
                        > Hong.

                      • Hong
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 17 3:23 PM
                          Thanks for the suggestion.

                          I did something similar, once I got the HDHomerun (to only allow KGO on it, and not on AVerTVHD Duet). This is how I am keeping KGO reliably tuned.

                          Hong.