Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: EAS ... KGO ... KTVU

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2012
      Yes, it was loud, but having 2 people talking at the same time can be confusing.

      Over here at KBBF we have a relay that kills entire program audio while the EAS is running. I believe that is the law?

      BD

      On Apr 13, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Otto wrote:

      > I don't get your point about squelching audio. Aren't the EAS alerts supposed to be loud and annoying to get your attention? I forget who we were watching last night but there was a red crawler across the screen with the warning and then someone from the NWS I think mentioned the tornado warning. Must of been KGO that we were watching now that I think about it because Sandhya Patel came on about 8:50 and updated the weather and corrected the tornado warning. TV for us is OTA only and we had very little reception issues (pixelation for about 2 seconds during some lightening)but those of you north of us probably had it worse. All in all, an exciting night!
      >
      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Duke And Rat <dukenrat@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> NO EAS ALERT?!
      >>
      >> Gee, nice to know KTVU is watching out for us!
      >>

      >> So we got one station that failed to squelch program audio; and another that totally failed, period!!! Jeez, dId anybody get it right?
      >>

      >> BD
      >>

      >> On Apr 12, 2012, at 11:36 PM, Larry Kenney wrote:
      >>

      >>> We were watching "American Idol" on KTVU. There was no EAS alert on that station between 8 and 9 pm.
      >>>
      >>> We saw video break up from the lightning and we're only 3/4 mile from the KTVU transmitter on Sutro Tower.
      >>>
      >>> KNTV on Mt. San Bruno was knocked off the air by the storm.
      >>>
      >>> Larry
      >>>
      >>> - - -

    • Otto
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2012
        Ok. I suppose it depends on how closely you listen to the broadcast. We got the message without being confused or bothered by the volume. Have no control on whether they are complying with the law or not.