Blonder-Tongue?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2012
      My first UHF converter, way back in 1966, was made by Blonder-Tongue. It had a 6AF4 oscillator, and a 1/2 wave selenium rectifier. The cabinet was missing, making it seem like it was made some 10 years hence, and it outputted the UHF signal on VHF channel 6, if I remember correctly.

      Imagine my amazement when I discovered that BT is still alive:
      http://www.multichannel.com/article/480025-Blonder_Tongue_Buys_R_L_Drake.php

      BD
    • Don Hackler
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012
        Blonder-Tongue has been a big name in the CATV and MATV industries for decades.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012
          The last I heard of them, they were making tuners for various US-made TV's, like RCA and such. They were even making FM radios.

          But I had no idea they were in CATV. I figured that they died when US TV manufacturers died.

          BD

          On Feb 3, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Don Hackler wrote:

          > Blonder-Tongue has been a big name in the CATV and MATV industries for decades.
          >
          > On Feb 2, 2012, at 11:00 PM, Duke And Rat wrote:
          >
          >> My first UHF converter, way back in 1966, was made by Blonder-Tongue. It had a 6AF4 oscillator, and a 1/2 wave selenium rectifier. The cabinet was missing, making it seem like it was made some 10 years hence, and it outputted the UHF signal on VHF channel 6, if I remember correctly.
          >>
          >> Imagine my amazement when I discovered that BT is still alive:
          >> http://www.multichannel.com/article/480025-Blonder_Tongue_Buys_R_L_Drake.php
          >>

          >> BD

        • Harry Birmingham
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012
            Their US manufacturing is dead....I'll bet all their equipment has "Made in China" labels.

            The last I heard of them, they were making tuners for various US-made TV's, like RCA and such. They were even making FM radios.

            But I had no idea they were in CATV. I figured that they died when US TV manufacturers died.

            BD

            On Feb 3, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Don Hackler wrote:

            > Blonder-Tongue has been a big name in the CATV and MATV industries for decades.
            >
            > On Feb 2, 2012, at 11:00 PM, Duke And Rat wrote:
            >
            >> My first UHF converter, way back in 1966, was made by Blonder-Tongue. It had a 6AF4 oscillator, and a 1/2 wave selenium rectifier. The cabinet was missing, making it seem like it was made some 10 years hence, and it outputted the UHF signal on VHF channel 6, if I remember correctly.
            >>
            >> Imagine my amazement when I discovered that BT is still alive:
            >> http://www.multichannel.com/article/480025-Blonder_Tongue_Buys_R_L_Drake.php
            >>

            >> BD

          • Don Hackler
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2012

              I see a lot of "made in USA" labels on their pro equipment featured on their home page.

              I suspect a lot of their consumer gear is made in Mexico or Asia...