Re: Signals from Sutro Aux Antenna

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2012
      Here, in the North Bay,the signals dropped significantly but were still strong enough to hold the picture, mostly. After they turned the signal back to the main antennae the signals boomed. In general they were higher than I have ever seen them. This morning I notice that most channels are back to normal except KGO which is a little bit stronger than normal.

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

      > I did a signal check of all the stations transmitting from Sutro Tower this morning while they were using the Auxiliary antenna. I'm just three quarters of a mile from Sutro and the signals of all but two of the stations went up to 100% when on the Auxiliary antenna. KGO was at 98% and KMTP was 90%. Normally only KPIX and KOFY are at 100% here and the rest are in the 80's and low 90's, so I actually saw improvement.
      >
      > I think the signals from the main antennas go right over us instead of right at us, plus there's probably more multipath, where the signals from the aux antenna provide a more direct signal and have less multipath. They are also half the power so they don't overload my receiver as much.
      >
      > Did anyone else check to see how much of a difference there was in signal strength?
      >
      > Larry

    • highb8a
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2012
        Here in Fremont, I still don't get 7 and 11. I have two different TVs powered by two indoor antennas and used to pull these channels on both of them without problem unless the weather was extremely bad. Now, nada.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2012
          You're not receiving the two VHF stations in the market, so that indicates to me that the antennas you're using are for UHF only.  You need to get an antenna that's made for BOTH VHF and UHF to get all of the stations.  For an indoor antenna for VHF you'll usually find two rods, often called rabbit ears, that you can adjust for best reception, so make sure you have that feature if you want to receive 7 and 11.

          KGO now has a translator transmitter on channel 35 on Monument Peak in the hills above Fremont, so you might want to re-scan to get that into your channel list.  It'll show up on your TV as channels 7-1, 7-2 and 7-3.

          On Feb 3, 2012, at 8:39 PM, highb8a wrote:

          Here in Fremont, I still don't get 7 and 11. I have two different TVs powered by two indoor antennas and used to pull these channels on both of them without problem unless the weather was extremely bad. Now, nada.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@...> wrote:

          > Here, in the North Bay,the signals dropped significantly but were still strong enough to hold the picture, mostly. After they turned the signal back to the main antennae the signals boomed. In general they were higher than I have ever seen them. This morning I notice that most channels are back to normal except KGO which is a little bit stronger than normal.
          >
          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I did a signal check of all the stations transmitting from Sutro Tower this morning while they were using the Auxiliary antenna. I'm just three quarters of a mile from Sutro and the signals of all but two of the stations went up to 100% when on the Auxiliary antenna. KGO was at 98% and KMTP was 90%. Normally only KPIX and KOFY are at 100% here and the rest are in the 80's and low 90's, so I actually saw improvement.
          > >
          > > I think the signals from the main antennas go right over us instead of right at us, plus there's probably more multipath, where the signals from the aux antenna provide a more direct signal and have less multipath. They are also half the power so they don't overload my receiver as much.
          > >
          > > Did anyone else check to see how much of a difference there was in signal strength?
          > >
          > > Larry

        • highb8a
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2012
            That did it. I got a new antenna which is now pulling in both 7 and 11. One of the two older antennae did have the extendable arms, but wasn't able to capture the signal for some reason.

            Thank you.

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

            > You're not receiving the two VHF stations in the market, so that indicates to me that the antennas you're using are for UHF only. You need to get an antenna that's made for BOTH VHF and UHF to get all of the stations. For an indoor antenna for VHF you'll usually find two rods, often called rabbit ears, that you can adjust for best reception, so make sure you have that feature if you want to receive 7 and 11.
            >
            > KGO now has a translator transmitter on channel 35 on Monument Peak in the hills above Fremont, so you might want to re-scan to get that into your channel list. It'll show up on your TV as channels 7-1, 7-2 and 7-3.
            >
            > Larry
            > SF
            >
            > - - -
            >
            > On Feb 3, 2012, at 8:39 PM, highb8a wrote:
            >
            > > Here in Fremont, I still don't get 7 and 11. I have two different TVs powered by two indoor antennas and used to pull these channels on both of them without problem unless the weather was extremely bad. Now, nada.
            > >
            > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Here, in the North Bay,the signals dropped significantly but were still strong enough to hold the picture, mostly. After they turned the signal back to the main antennae the signals boomed. In general they were higher than I have ever seen them. This morning I notice that most channels are back to normal except KGO which is a little bit stronger than normal.

          • JohnB
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2012
              I had the same problem and could not get 7 and 11 until I changed out my antenna to the Winegard 7694P VHF/UHF Model.The picture quality is unbelievable compared to my previous Comcast cable carrier. Dumped them a while back with no love lost. I Live in the east bay in the dublin hills with challenging terrain. The only channel I cannot get from Sutro is channel 2 (KTVU Fox) .If any one has suggestions on how to pick this signal up at my location I would like to get your input. Thinking of combining with another antenna or whatever ??
              Rgds
              John B

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2012

                On Feb 8, 2012, at 4:41 PM, JohnB wrote:

                ... I Live in the east bay in the dublin hills with challenging terrain. The only channel I cannot get from Sutro is channel 2 (KTVU Fox) .If any one has suggestions on how to pick this signal up at my location I would like to get your input. Thinking of combining with another antenna or whatever ??
                Rgds
                John B

                Seeing that KTVU, KRON and KPIX all come from the same antenna (they're combined together), it must have something to do with the frequency of KTVU.  They transmit on channel 44, while KRON transmits on channel 38 and KPIX transmits on channel 29.  Multipath, a reflection of the signal off of something in your area, could be canceling the signal or decreasing it enough so that you don't receive it.

                Have you tried turning the antenna slightly one way or the other to see if that helps?  Be careful that you don't turn it enough so that you lose the other signals!  Also, changing the height slightly could make a difference.  Hopefully the antenna is in a location that you can reach easily so that you can play with it to see what happens.

                Good luck!