Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Say Goodbye To Loud Commercials!

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
      I remember him! He was on many channels. What needs to be pointed out though, is that the whole audio track has no squeaks or loud noises. And you can hear the limiter working well. Even though he's literally yelling or talking very loud, the limiters installed at the various stations kept HIS audio relatively even with PROGRAM audio.

      I'm still fuming at a TV Technology editorial, that basically said TV stations should be able to broadcast commercials as loud as they want to.

      Bye Kids!

      BD

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
        From what I can tell, KGO-7 is totally non-compliant and breaking the law. I noted at 9:38 tonite, the commercial levels are all over the place, with the "War Horse" commercial making me reach for the volume.

        That same commercial on KTVU-2 at 10:08, is in total compliance.

        BD

        On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:03 AM, Duke And Rat wrote:

        > I remember him! He was on many channels. What needs to be pointed out though, is that the whole audio track has no squeaks or loud noises. And you can hear the limiter working well. Even though he's literally yelling or talking very loud, the limiters installed at the various stations kept HIS audio relatively even with PROGRAM audio.
        >
        > I'm still fuming at a TV Technology editorial, that basically said TV stations should be able to broadcast commercials as loud as they want to.
        >

        > Bye Kids!
        >

        > BD
        >

        > On Dec 14, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Ron Economos wrote:
        >
        >> For some bizarre reason that I can't explain, this reminds
        >> me of Ed Barbara.
        >>
        >> Hi kids!
        >>
        >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpvFTPC1is
        >>
        >> Bye kids!
        >>
        >> Ron
        >>
        >> On 12/13/2011 11:41 PM, Duke And Rat wrote:
        >>> A good tests case would be KNTV-11's airing of a local car dealership commercial. I hate to take issue, because 99.9% of the commercial is in total compliance. But where it goes haywire is the loud, shrill bell at the end that commercial. It just drives me bananas, and it airs constantly. If you have a dog, you've probably seen him jump. You could easily use this commercial at a secret US military prison. That bell could easily bust windows ... or eardrums.

      • Otto
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2011
          I can certainly appreciate your frustration with the commercial noise but we just really don't notice it anymore. I just tune out commercials when they come on and leave the volume where it's at.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Duke And Rat <dukenrat@...> wrote:

          > From what I can tell, KGO-7 is totally non-compliant and breaking the law. I noted at 9:38 tonite, the commercial levels are all over the place, with the "War Horse" commercial making me reach for the volume.
          >
          > That same commercial on KTVU-2 at 10:08, is in total compliance.
          >

          > BD
          >

          > On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:03 AM, Duke And Rat wrote:
          >
          > > I remember him! He was on many channels. What needs to be pointed out though, is that the whole audio track has no squeaks or loud noises. And you can hear the limiter working well. Even though he's literally yelling or talking very loud, the limiters installed at the various stations kept HIS audio relatively even with PROGRAM audio.
          > >
          > > I'm still fuming at a TV Technology editorial, that basically said TV stations should be able to broadcast commercials as loud as they want to.
          > >

          > > Bye Kids!
          > >

          > > BD
          > >

          > > On Dec 14, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Ron Economos wrote:
          > >
          > >> For some bizarre reason that I can't explain, this reminds
          > >> me of Ed Barbara.
          > >>
          > >> Hi kids!
          > >>
          > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpvFTPC1is
          > >>
          > >> Bye kids!
          > >>
          > >> Ron

        • bill weber
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 18, 2011
            This could be a union caused issue....Can anyone post the broadcasters union by-laws?