Say Goodbye To Loud Commercials!

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2011
      Despite a whirlwind of lobbyists, the CALM act passed the FCC today, with a 100% "YES!" vote. The FCC cited that loud commercials account for most of the complaints that it receives.

      For locally inserted commercials, TV stations and cable operators will have to demonstrate they’ve installed the proper equipment and software. For national ads embedded by a network, the network itself must certify that it is within CALM compliance.

      CBS is the lone network cited that they have already complied, although I might take issue with KPIX-5.1 news audio levels.

      Programmers must conduct annual 24-hour audits of their content. Broadcasters and larger cable systems must check 100 percent of programming for a period of two years.

      A good tests case would be KNTV-11's airing of a local car dealership commercial. I hate to take issue, because 99.9% of the commercial is in total compliance. But where it goes haywire is the loud, shrill bell at the end that commercial. It just drives me bananas, and it airs constantly. If you have a dog, you've probably seen him jump. You could easily use this commercial at a secret US military prison. That bell could easily bust windows ... or eardrums.

      Whole story is here:
      http://tvtechnology.com/article/126890

      BD
    • Ron Economos
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
        For some bizarre reason that I can't explain, this reminds
        me of Ed Barbara.

        Hi kids!

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpvFTPC1is

        Bye kids!

        Ron

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
          I remember him! He was on many channels. What needs to be pointed out though, is that the whole audio track has no squeaks or loud noises. And you can hear the limiter working well. Even though he's literally yelling or talking very loud, the limiters installed at the various stations kept HIS audio relatively even with PROGRAM audio.

          I'm still fuming at a TV Technology editorial, that basically said TV stations should be able to broadcast commercials as loud as they want to.

          Bye Kids!

          BD

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
            From what I can tell, KGO-7 is totally non-compliant and breaking the law. I noted at 9:38 tonite, the commercial levels are all over the place, with the "War Horse" commercial making me reach for the volume.

            That same commercial on KTVU-2 at 10:08, is in total compliance.

            BD

            On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:03 AM, Duke And Rat wrote:

            > I remember him! He was on many channels. What needs to be pointed out though, is that the whole audio track has no squeaks or loud noises. And you can hear the limiter working well. Even though he's literally yelling or talking very loud, the limiters installed at the various stations kept HIS audio relatively even with PROGRAM audio.
            >
            > I'm still fuming at a TV Technology editorial, that basically said TV stations should be able to broadcast commercials as loud as they want to.
            >

            > Bye Kids!
            >

            > BD
            >

            > On Dec 14, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Ron Economos wrote:
            >
            >> For some bizarre reason that I can't explain, this reminds
            >> me of Ed Barbara.
            >>
            >> Hi kids!
            >>
            >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpvFTPC1is
            >>
            >> Bye kids!
            >>
            >> Ron
            >>
            >> On 12/13/2011 11:41 PM, Duke And Rat wrote:
            >>> A good tests case would be KNTV-11's airing of a local car dealership commercial. I hate to take issue, because 99.9% of the commercial is in total compliance. But where it goes haywire is the loud, shrill bell at the end that commercial. It just drives me bananas, and it airs constantly. If you have a dog, you've probably seen him jump. You could easily use this commercial at a secret US military prison. That bell could easily bust windows ... or eardrums.

          • Otto
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2011
              I can certainly appreciate your frustration with the commercial noise but we just really don't notice it anymore. I just tune out commercials when they come on and leave the volume where it's at.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Duke And Rat <dukenrat@...> wrote:

              > From what I can tell, KGO-7 is totally non-compliant and breaking the law. I noted at 9:38 tonite, the commercial levels are all over the place, with the "War Horse" commercial making me reach for the volume.
              >
              > That same commercial on KTVU-2 at 10:08, is in total compliance.
              >

              > BD
              >

              > On Dec 14, 2011, at 1:03 AM, Duke And Rat wrote:
              >
              > > I remember him! He was on many channels. What needs to be pointed out though, is that the whole audio track has no squeaks or loud noises. And you can hear the limiter working well. Even though he's literally yelling or talking very loud, the limiters installed at the various stations kept HIS audio relatively even with PROGRAM audio.
              > >
              > > I'm still fuming at a TV Technology editorial, that basically said TV stations should be able to broadcast commercials as loud as they want to.
              > >

              > > Bye Kids!
              > >

              > > BD
              > >

              > > On Dec 14, 2011, at 12:51 AM, Ron Economos wrote:
              > >
              > >> For some bizarre reason that I can't explain, this reminds
              > >> me of Ed Barbara.
              > >>
              > >> Hi kids!
              > >>
              > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpvFTPC1is
              > >>
              > >> Bye kids!
              > >>
              > >> Ron

            • bill weber
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2011
                This could be a union caused issue....Can anyone post the broadcasters union by-laws?