Re: KTNC low power

  • CCraig
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hi Larry - Did they just start doing this? Wondering because I have trouble picking them up (past two years) in downtown San Francisco. Only have an indoor antenna, though. If they have been at 12kw for a long time, perhaps I can receive the signal once they increase to 40kw. Hope so! Thanks... Craig

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
        From what I understand, KTNC has been transmitting at their full power (40 kW) until just a few days ago.  Their signal is lower here now than it used to be, so I suspect that's the case.  I use a CM4228 on the roof and even with the lower power they still have a solid signal here.

        How well you receive them will depend on whether or not you have a direct shot at Mt. Diablo.  It's 30 miles from San Francisco and that's a rather long haul for an indoor antenna even with a clear view of the mountain.

        On Jul 1, 2011, at 7:52 AM, CCraig wrote:

        Hi Larry - Did they just start doing this? Wondering because I have trouble picking them up (past two years) in downtown San Francisco. Only have an indoor antenna, though. If they have been at 12kw for a long time, perhaps I can receive the signal once they increase to 40kw. Hope so! Thanks... Craig

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

        > According to sources on the AVS Forum, KTNC 42 (RF14) is only running 12 KW from atop Mt. Diablo right now because they are having interference problems with land mobile services who share the same tower. (Land mobile uses channels 15-18 in the Bay Area.) They hope to soon have the problem solved with a new filter so they can go up to authorized 40KW.
        >
        > Larry
        > SF

        .

      • le_deuce
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011

          As of last night, I'm still getting a decent signal from KTNC here in West San Jose using an indoor single UHF 'clip-on' bowtie (although I have to position it correctly; Its near a north-facing window).

          I'm 39.3 miles 'line-of-sight' (according to TV Fool).
          I'm using a CM-7000 box which is great at picking up lots of stations.

          I also have a homemade 4 bay UHF antenna in a south-facing room (and a 2nd CM-7000 tuner). It also gets decent reception for KTNC /'This' TV.

          ....Brian
          (I hope I can find a Digital TV with a tuner that is at least as selective as the Channel Master, CM-7000 is..)