Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Where to buy quality equipment?

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 8, 2011
      Are you looking to simply buy and install everything yourself? If so, you
      could do some research and find and buy this stuff on-line.

      But if not, perhaps you should not be looking at retail outlets like the
      brick & mortar big box stores of consumer equipment, but instead should
      find an independent local custom installer who has access to buying (and
      installing/configuring) high-end/professional A/V equipment.

      --

      Aaron
      sfaaron@...

      On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Bob Weissman wrote:

      > Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:46:19 -0700
      > From: Bob Weissman <bob_weissman@...>
      > To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Where to buy quality equipment?
      >
      > This is the summer I am going to dump my Pioneer Elite Pro-610HD
      > 58" CRT RPTV and replace it with a 65" 3D plasma.
      >
      > I used to get high-end gear at Magnolia A/V. After the final
      > absorption of Magnolia by Best Buy, I'm not sure where to go. The
      > Best Buy sales droids don't have a clue about high end gear. The
      > embedded Magnolia sections are in name only.
      >
      > My needs are simple.
      >
      > 1. A 65" flat panel 3D HTDV.
      > 2. A horizontal piece of quality A/V furniture to stand it on.
      > 3. A mount to hold the TV to the furniture (or stand it on the
      > floor with feet under the furniture), which will allow me to
      > tilt the screen away from room reflections in both x and y
      > directions.
      >
      > Price is not a concern. Ability to swivel and/or tilt the
      > reflective plasma screen away from room reflections is essential.
      >
      > Where do you go to get decent equipment, furniture, and expert
      > installation around the Sunnyvale vicinity? Anywhere within a 3
      > hour drive is OK as long as they're worth it.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > - Bob in Sunnyvale
      >
      > PS, kindly refrain from suggesting front projection or other
      > options. My room can't accommodate it.

    • Bob Weissman
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 12, 2011
        I tend to keep my gear for a long time, and I strongly prefer to
        see, touch, and hear it before buying it. But it's becoming very
        difficult with the high-end brick-and-mortar shops going out of
        business and the big-box stores lacking the knowledge of
        high-end.

        I do plenty of research. I get 3 A/V print magazines and stay
        current on several online forums. But buying online is a pain
        when you realize a big heavy piece of gear doesn't meet your
        expectations despite your research, and you have to send it back,
        possibly with a restocking fee. Been there, done that.

        In the past, I've always selected and installed everything
        myself. It's a hobby, and I enjoy it. But this time, I think the
        idea of hiring a pro is best. I'm going to want the new TV
        calibrated anyway. I hope I can find a pro willing to handle this
        relatively small job.

        Thanks for the responses.
        - Bob in Sunnyvale

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
          Fry's in Sunnyvale has an excellent Home Theater Department. You can also get quality advice from their sales personnel

          Are you looking to simply buy and install everything yourself? If so, you
          could do some research and find and buy this stuff on-line.

          But if not, perhaps you should not be looking at retail outlets like the
          brick & mortar big box stores of consumer equipment, but instead should
          find an independent local custom installer who has access to buying (and
          installing/configuring) high-end/professional A/V equipment.

          --

          Aaron
          sfaaron@...

          On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Bob Weissman wrote:

          > Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:46:19 -0700
          > From: Bob Weissman <bob_weissman@...>
          > To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Where to buy quality equipment?
          >
          > This is the summer I am going to dump my Pioneer Elite Pro-610HD
          > 58" CRT RPTV and replace it with a 65" 3D plasma.
          >
          > I used to get high-end gear at Magnolia A/V. After the final
          > absorption of Magnolia by Best Buy, I'm not sure where to go. The
          > Best Buy sales droids don't have a clue about high end gear. The
          > embedded Magnolia sections are in name only.
          >
          > My needs are simple.
          >
          > 1. A 65" flat panel 3D HTDV.
          > 2. A horizontal piece of quality A/V furniture to stand it on.
          > 3. A mount to hold the TV to the furniture (or stand it on the
          > floor with feet under the furniture), which will allow me to
          > tilt the screen away from room reflections in both x and y
          > directions.
          >
          > Price is not a concern. Ability to swivel and/or tilt the
          > reflective plasma screen away from room reflections is essential.
          >
          > Where do you go to get decent equipment, furniture, and expert
          > installation around the Sunnyvale vicinity? Anywhere within a 3
          > hour drive is OK as long as they're worth it.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > - Bob in Sunnyvale
          >
          > PS, kindly refrain from suggesting front projection or other
          > options. My room can't accommodate it.

        • Alex
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
            For High-end I recommend Century Stereo in San Jose. They're in El Paseo
            de Saratoga shopping center and have a pretty extensive showroom and
            various listening/viewing rooms. I purchased my B&W speakers there and
            have had a great experience even buying smaller items. Unlike other
            stores I never felt like I was getting an upsell.

            just my .02
            Alex

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
              Wow, I remember shopping there years ago. Looks like they've
              moved since the last time I shopped there. I'd forgotten they
              existed since they don't advertise.

              Thanks,
              - Bob in Sunnyvale

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
                A few years ago when HDTV was was still being shared with analog I bought my HDTV tuner there (LG 4200A) for my HDTV-ready set because they were the only ones selling the LG locally. The company has certainly gone thru some changes since I first visited them many,many years ago. Very high end stuff with knowledgeable people. You might want to take a walk thru.