Re: Can get KTVU, KRON, KPIX, KQED, but not KGO!

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2011
      I had a very similar problem here in San Jose. I did use a vhf-hi/uhf antenna in the attic, but had problems with KGO. I rescanned the channels and KGO popped up with good signal. KNTV at that time had a good signal from Mt. San Bruno, about in line with Sutro Tower. I then moved the antenna outside, and had a good signal from KGO but KNTV was very weak. I got tired of messing around outside on the ladder, so moved the antenna back inside the attic, to a spot higher up near the peak of the attic, not near its older location. Now I still get KGO strong and KNTV is much better. I figure the increased height helped--I am guessing that I have some multipath reflection that makes it hard to tweak things. Once I am convinced it is consistent, I plan to "cut the cable". I really like the picture on OTA much better than Uverse HD!

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "bobby6048" <bobcapl@...> wrote:

      > KGO and KNTV are both VHF stations. KGO is on channel 7 and KNTV is on channel 12. The rest of the stations you list are UHF stations. You will need a VHF antenna to successfully get the VHF stations. What kind of antenna are you using today?
      >
      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Griff D" <griffdb@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have an antenna pointed at Mount Sutro. I live in Mountain View.
      > >
      > > I can get a strong signal for KTVU, KRON, KPIX, and KQED. However, I cannot receive KGO successfully.
      > >
      > > Can anybody comment on why this would be the case?
      > >
      > > Thank you.
      > >
      > > --Griff

    • Otto
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 12:23 PM
        I have a UHF-VHF antenna on top of my roof at the apex (about 30'from the ground) and always get KGO and KNTV with no problems at all in Southeast San Jose.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Griff D" <griffdb@...> wrote:

        > I have an antenna pointed at Mount Sutro. I live in Mountain View.
        >
        > I can get a strong signal for KTVU, KRON, KPIX, and KQED. However, I cannot receive KGO successfully.
        >
        > Can anybody comment on why this would be the case?
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > --Griff

      • Griff D
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2 8:59 PM
          Thanks for the reply.

          I used to get KGO, but over the past month, it just seems to have attenuated to nothing.

          The antenna that I have is:

          ANTENNACRAFT® Model HDX1000 HDTV UHF/VHF Antenna

          It used to be that I got KGO, but not KPIX, and KRON.

          But now it's reversed.

          Thanks!

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.liss@...> wrote:

          > Probably because your antenna isn't designed to pickup VHF channels. KGO transmits on channel 7 which is VHF. All of the others don't transmit on their actual channel numbers but instead on the UHF band (they've mapped their channels down to their old analog channel numbers). Make sure your antenna can pick up UHF plus high band (7-13) VHF channels. Check out the antenna's specs.
          >

          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Griff D" <griffdb@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have an antenna pointed at Mount Sutro. I live in Mountain View.
          > >
          > > I can get a strong signal for KTVU, KRON, KPIX, and KQED. However, I cannot receive KGO successfully.
          > >
          > > Can anybody comment on why this would be the case?
          > >
          > > Thank you.
          > >
          > > --Griff

        • Griff D
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2 9:13 PM
            Imagine my horror / excitement when I learned that the antenna's power supply was not plugged in!

            Yikes!

            Thanks for all of the responses.

            --Griff

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Griff D" <griffdb@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the reply.
            >
            > I used to get KGO, but over the past month, it just seems to have attenuated to nothing.
            >
            > The antenna that I have is:
            >
            > ANTENNACRAFT® Model HDX1000 HDTV UHF/VHF Antenna
            >
            > It used to be that I got KGO, but not KPIX, and KRON.
            >
            > But now it's reversed.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.liss@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Probably because your antenna isn't designed to pickup VHF channels. KGO transmits on channel 7 which is VHF. All of the others don't transmit on their actual channel numbers but instead on the UHF band (they've mapped their channels down to their old analog channel numbers). Make sure your antenna can pick up UHF plus high band (7-13) VHF channels. Check out the antenna's specs.
            > >

            > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Griff D" <griffdb@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have an antenna pointed at Mount Sutro. I live in Mountain View.
            > > >
            > > > I can get a strong signal for KTVU, KRON, KPIX, and KQED. However, I cannot receive KGO successfully.
            > > >
            > > > Can anybody comment on why this would be the case?
            > > >
            > > > Thank you.
            > > >
            > > > --Griff

          • ko ban
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3 5:33 PM