Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Giants and Dodgers on KNTV

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 14, 2011
      Now now... let's not be too hard on NBC.

      After all, it was ABC who aired commercials during their network newscast a few months ago with absolutely no center channel of audio. And it was ABC who aired Wipeout and other primetime shows for hours of "bubbly" audio that made it sound like they were underwater and inhaling Helium.

      BD

      On Apr 14, 2011, at 10:18 PM, ctmooregottapee wrote:

      > because its on the networks available OTA, many could surely grab a few minutes and analyze it.....
      > eyeballs and televison broadcast equipment are not always very reliable.
      >

      > knowing how poorly nbc is at broadcasting, i wouldn't be surprised if the feed originated HD, was down converted at master control for automation and other junk, then upconverted back to 1080i for broadcast. possible they are use a bit starved connection, uplink between the park and master control to save a few bucks.
      >

      > fyi: there are a number of sites on the web that have video samples you can play or burn and view to see how your tv display fairs; you might be surprised how poorly it is setup/tuned or the components in it are.
      >

      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Otto" <scasse@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I only have OTA so CSN is not an option for me. As for the crowd scenes, every face behind home plate was sharp and clear. Even crowd shots were sharp. I could count the blades of grass. I don't know what your source is but my guess it's suspect or the way your big screen is displaying it.
      >>
      >> --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.liss@> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Let me phrase it this way-how would you say the quality of this telecast compares to what you see for a CSN Bay Area game? I look at the crowd scenes and the faces are very blurry while on a CSN Bay Area telecast they're very sharp. The same applies to the blades of grass on the infield in closeup shots.
      >>>
      >>> Again, if it's HD, why doesn't KNTV promote this fact during the telecast. Nearly all HD telecasts, including CSN Bay Area Giants games, still promote the HD quality.
      >>>
      >>> I've voiced this opinion of Giants telecasts over the last couple of years on this very board. I've followed up with an email to CSN Bay Area, which produces these games for KNTV, and in each case CSN Bay Area has confirmed that the KNTV telecast was broadcast in widescreen SD. Maybe someone else might want to shoot off an email to them to see what they have to say about tonight's game.

    • Swank, Richard (NBCUniversal, KNTV)
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 17, 2011
        If you dislike NBC so much use your remote.

        The KNTV Giants games are produced with the exact same truck that Comcast Sports uses and it was HD. The only difference is the 14 verses 19 megabit transmission.

        Richard Swank

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 17, 2011
          Now, now Richard ... keep your shirt on.

          At least you didn't repeatedly air commercials without audio on network news like ABC/KGO did.

          At least your NBC newscasts employ an audio limiter, so the sound is even, unlike KPIX where the levels are all over the place.

          And, in fact unlike KGO & KPIX, you probably even have a real human being watching and listening to your broadcast feed, when / if problems develop.

          The real fact of the matter is: Not all of the bugs have been worked out of DTV. That's totally not your fault.

          We're all sorta like guinea pigs, and if we all cooperate, who knows? Maybe DTV will be trouble-free by the time the Mayan calendar runs out?

          Your Pal,
          BD

          On Apr 17, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Swank, Richard (NBCUniversal, KNTV) wrote:

          If you dislike NBC so much use your remote.

          The KNTV Giants games are produced with the exact same truck that Comcast Sports uses and it was HD. The only difference is the 14 verses 19 megabit transmission.

          Richard Swank

          because its on the networks available OTA, many could surely grab a few minutes and analyze it.....
          eyeballs and televison broadcast equipment are not always very reliable.

          knowing how poorly nbc is at broadcasting, i wouldn't be surprised if the feed originated HD, was down converted at master control for automation and other junk, then upconverted back to 1080i for broadcast. possible they are use a bit starved connection, uplink between the park and master control to save a few bucks.

          fyi: there are a number of sites on the web that have video samples you can play or burn and view to see how your tv display fairs; you might be surprised how poorly it is setup/tuned or the components in it are.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Otto" <scasse@...> wrote:

          > I only have OTA so CSN is not an option for me. As for the crowd scenes, every face behind home plate was sharp and clear. Even crowd shots were sharp. I could count the blades of grass. I don't know what your source is but my guess it's suspect or the way your big screen is displaying it.
          >
          > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.liss@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Let me phrase it this way-how would you say the quality of this telecast compares to what you see for a CSN Bay Area game? I look at the crowd scenes and the faces are very blurry while on a CSN Bay Area telecast they're very sharp. The same applies to the blades of grass on the infield in closeup shots.
          > >
          > > Again, if it's HD, why doesn't KNTV promote this fact during the telecast. Nearly all HD telecasts, including CSN Bay Area Giants games, still promote the HD quality.
          > >
          > > I've voiced this opinion of Giants telecasts over the last couple of years on this very board. I've followed up with an email to CSN Bay Area, which produces these games for KNTV, and in each case CSN Bay Area has confirmed that the KNTV telecast was broadcast in widescreen SD. Maybe someone else might want to shoot off an email to them to see what they have to say about tonight's game.
          > >

          > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, James Keenan <mail@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > No, I'm not mistaken, it may not be the best PQ quality, but it's definitely
          > > > HD. Viewing via a 73" RPTV with 9" guns, so that shoots down "small screen"
          > > > theory.

        • ctmooregottapee
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 19, 2011
            actually better than the remote is the internet. i can bypass the sloppiness at the local level and get distributions direct from the production house, or possibly an overseas carrier that cares a bit more. in some cases the network feed is available but they tend to be too large to mess with.

            as far as audio levels on nbc, they use an artifical low dial norm, not an audio limiter. it lowers everything and you'll often lose audio details. a chief nbc engineer tried to push it through many a year ago but the production sources, especially the commercial providers, really don't adhere to it.

            the local nbc may have eyeballs on the screen, but they are not local. master control for the station is controlled in LA. hence why i commented that the distribution and potential cheaper links could be the reason for the quality issues.