Re: Giants - Padres Game on 11-1

  • Otto
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12, 2011
      I figured it was some sort of re-transmission mumbo jumbo because the station info said 1080i but the pq was anything but. I hope you're righ about the pre-season games being non-HD and the the rest being "real HD".

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 12, 2011
        On Mar 12, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Otto wrote:

        I figured it was some sort of re-transmission mumbo jumbo because the station info said 1080i but the pq was anything but. I hope you're righ about the pre-season games being non-HD and the the rest being "real HD".

        The station info indicates what the transmitter is set to send out, not what the actual content is.  You'll see 1080i shown even when they are sending out a 4:3 black and white movie.  It's the same as an FM stereo station showing that they're transmitting stereo when they could be playing a scratchy, mono 78 rpm record.

      • Otto
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2011
          Really? I always thought that what your tv displayed was the actual content that it was receiving, not what the station was capable of transmitting. Seems misleading.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

          > On Mar 12, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Otto wrote:
          > > I figured it was some sort of re-transmission mumbo jumbo because the station info said 1080i but the pq was anything but. I hope you're righ about the pre-season games being non-HD and the the rest being "real HD".
          > >

          > The station info indicates what the transmitter is set to send out, not what the actual content is. You'll see 1080i shown even when they are sending out a 4:3 black and white movie. It's the same as an FM stereo station showing that they're transmitting stereo when they could be playing a scratchy, mono 78 rpm record.
          >
          > Larry
          > SF

        • Bob
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 13, 2011
            I went back and checked Richard's spreadsheet. It indicates that all seventeen games (two preseason and fifteen regular season) are supposed to be in HD. This worries me as I now expect all of these games to be broadcast in widescrren SD.

            Richard has said in the past that KNTV games have been broadcast in HD when they weren't. He has insisted but personnel at CSNBA have confirmed that those games weren't in HD. I suppose many people equate widescreen with HD, especially if they have a smaller TV. I have a 64" set and it's very clear that these games haven't been in HD.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 13, 2011
              I received another explanation of what is probably happening and it was the same as the first one. This is station mumbo jumbo. Not real HD (even tho the tv says it's 1080i) only SD upconverted to the HD signal and sent on its way, crappy pq and all. So, to say KNTV is broadcasting the Giants games in HD is very misleading. To be more accurate, they should say the games are being broadcast on the HD signal but not in HD.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.liss@...> wrote:

              > I went back and checked Richard's spreadsheet. It indicates that all seventeen games (two preseason and fifteen regular season) are supposed to be in HD. This worries me as I now expect all of these games to be broadcast in widescrren SD.
              >
              > Richard has said in the past that KNTV games have been broadcast in HD when they weren't. He has insisted but personnel at CSNBA have confirmed that those games weren't in HD. I suppose many people equate widescreen with HD, especially if they have a smaller TV. I have a 64" set and it's very clear that these games haven't been in HD.
              >
              > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Otto" <scasse@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I figured it was some sort of re-transmission mumbo jumbo because the station info said 1080i but the pq was anything but. I hope you're righ about the pre-season games being non-HD and the the rest being "real HD".
              > >
              > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.liss@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > It simply wasn't HD. It was widescreen SD. KNTV hasn't done an HD game since early in the 2009 season (as far as I remember). They do widescreen SD and try to fool viewers into thinking it's HD. A comparison with games on CSNBA makes the drop in quality very clear. I've contacted CSNBA, who produce the games for KNTV, and they have confirmed the games are widescreen SD, at least in the recent past.
              > > >
              > > > Richard Swank posted a listing for fifteen regular season, and two preseasnon games, to be broadcast during 2011 indicating they would be in HD (maybe not the preseason games?). Thankfully, KNTV has fewer games this year. I was hoping they would lose all of their games since their picture quality is so terrible. Maybe the regular season games will actually be in HD? Here's hoping!

            • Swank, Richard (NBCUniversal, KNTV)
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 17, 2011
                Larry is correct and this is a DTV anomaly.  Stations do not change the X.1 format or for that matter the x.2 x.3 formats etc. from normal.  If we did then you would have to rescan to find the station.  Scanning makes it somewhat faster to change channels and your receivers memorize all the x.x station formats it finds when scanning.  Downside if X.1 had a different format from last scan the receiver would ignore that X.1 station.  So on KNTV everything on 11.1 channel will say it is 1080i because that is the way it is formatted for transmission.  This is regardless of how the program was originally formatted.  i.e. analog, 480i/p 16x9,  480i/p 4x3, or 720p/i 16x9, or 1080i/p 16x9.  You would not like it if the transmission format was always changing as the receiver would have to do a scan every time you changed the channel or a channel changed formats.

                Reformatting for transmission does not change the original picture quality as you have observed.  Production quality remains the same.

                FCC definition of HD is anything originated in a higher format than 480.  480 and below formats are basically analog quality except there isn't additional degradation as it is digital originally.  Analog did suffer some losses due to processing after the origination.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 17, 2011
                  Thanks for the explanation. That's why I like this group so much. Always an educational experience. So, once regular season starts, we should be ok?

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBCUniversal, KNTV)" <richard.swank@...> wrote:

                  > Larry is correct and this is a DTV anomaly. Stations do not change the
                  > X.1 format or for that matter the x.2 x.3 formats etc. from normal. If
                  > we did then you would have to rescan to find the station. Scanning
                  > makes it somewhat faster to change channels and your receivers memorize
                  > all the x.x station formats it finds when scanning. Downside if X.1 had
                  > a different format from last scan the receiver would ignore that X.1
                  > station. So on KNTV everything on 11.1 channel will say it is 1080i
                  > because that is the way it is formatted for transmission. This is
                  > regardless of how the program was originally formatted. i.e. analog,
                  > 480i/p 16x9, 480i/p 4x3, or 720p/i 16x9, or 1080i/p 16x9. You would
                  > not like it if the transmission format was always changing as the
                  > receiver would have to do a scan every time you changed the channel or a
                  > channel changed formats.
                  >
                  > Reformatting for transmission does not change the original picture
                  > quality as you have observed. Production quality remains the same.
                  >
                  > FCC definition of HD is anything originated in a higher format than 480.
                  > 480 and below formats are basically analog quality except there isn't
                  > additional degradation as it is digital originally. Analog did suffer
                  > some losses due to processing after the origination.
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Bob
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 17, 2011
                    No, nothing said indicates that something will change for the regular season. The first preseason game was not HD. The second one, plus the fifteen regular season games, may or may not be in HD. We will have to wait and see.

                    Richard's schedule of 2011 Giant's games lists all seventeen as being in HD. Richard has said games were in HD before when they weren't (verified by CSNBA personnel). I tend to doubt his announcements on this subject and will instead wait for the visual evidence. I'm hoping for real HD but not necessarily expecting it.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 17, 2011
                      You will have to wait for regular season I'm afraid. Hey I retired in 2006 so try to break my heart!

                      Richard Swank

                      No, nothing said indicates that something will change for the regular season. The first preseason game was not HD. The second one, plus the fifteen regular season games, may or may not be in HD. We will have to wait and see.

                      Richard's schedule of 2011 Giant's games lists all seventeen as being in HD. Richard has said games were in HD before when they weren't (verified by CSNBA personnel). I tend to doubt his announcements on this subject and will instead wait for the visual evidence. I'm hoping for real HD but not necessarily expecting it.

                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Otto" <scasse@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the explanation. That's why I like this group so much. Always an educational experience. So, once regular season starts, we should be ok?
                      >
                      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBCUniversal, KNTV)" <richard.swank@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Larry is correct and this is a DTV anomaly. Stations do not change the
                      > > X.1 format or for that matter the x.2 x.3 formats etc. from normal. If
                      > > we did then you would have to rescan to find the station. Scanning
                      > > makes it somewhat faster to change channels and your receivers memorize
                      > > all the x.x station formats it finds when scanning. Downside if X.1 had
                      > > a different format from last scan the receiver would ignore that X.1
                      > > station. So on KNTV everything on 11.1 channel will say it is 1080i
                      > > because that is the way it is formatted for transmission. This is
                      > > regardless of how the program was originally formatted. i.e. analog,
                      > > 480i/p 16x9, 480i/p 4x3, or 720p/i 16x9, or 1080i/p 16x9. You would
                      > > not like it if the transmission format was always changing as the
                      > > receiver would have to do a scan every time you changed the channel or a
                      > > channel changed formats.
                      > >
                      > > Reformatting for transmission does not change the original picture
                      > > quality as you have observed. Production quality remains the same.
                      > >
                      > > FCC definition of HD is anything originated in a higher format than 480.
                      > > 480 and below formats are basically analog quality except there isn't
                      > > additional degradation as it is digital originally. Analog did suffer
                      > > some losses due to processing after the origination.

                    • Bob
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 26, 2011
                        Preseason game two is on right now. Once again no HD, only widescreen SD. Will there be any HD for the fifteen regular season games?