Re: Oakland reception for FOX - KGO reception in Cupertino

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
      Both FOX KTVU and ABC KGO transmit from Sutro Tower in San Francisco. KTVU transmits in the UHF band on channel 44 (not channel 2); KGO transmits in the VHF band on channel 7. In both cases, you need to use the appropriate antenna to receive them. A UHF antenna doesn't work well for VHF and a VHF antenna does't work well for UHF.

      A rabbit ear antenna is for VHF. I don't know what band that RCA ANT1650 or the "boosted antenna" are for. Many antennas are built to cover both bands. Also note that UHF signals work better for indoor reception than VHF does, but VHF signals travel farther.

      Cupertino might be too far from Sutro Tower for reliable indoor reception. An rooftop antenna is always the best way to get good reception, getting it as high above trees and surrounding objects as possible. Make sure that the antenna is pointed in the correct direction and try moving it around to find the best location.

      Good luck in your endeavors.

    • gbullis@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2011
        I have two different antennas that are supposed to get both UHF and VHF. I've tried an outside and an inside antenna, but still cannot get Fox or CBS from Oakland (94610). Any other suggestions?

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

        > Both FOX KTVU and ABC KGO transmit from Sutro Tower in San Francisco. KTVU transmits in the UHF band on channel 44 (not channel 2); KGO transmits in the VHF band on channel 7. In both cases, you need to use the appropriate antenna to receive them. A UHF antenna doesn't work well for VHF and a VHF antenna does't work well for UHF.
        >
        > A rabbit ear antenna is for VHF. I don't know what band that RCA ANT1650 or the "boosted antenna" are for. Many antennas are built to cover both bands. Also note that UHF signals work better for indoor reception than VHF does, but VHF signals travel farther.
        >
        > Cupertino might be too far from Sutro Tower for reliable indoor reception. An rooftop antenna is always the best way to get good reception, getting it as high above trees and surrounding objects as possible. Make sure that the antenna is pointed in the correct direction and try moving it around to find the best location.
        >
        > Good luck in your endeavors.
        >
        > Larry
        > SF

      • Link Perry
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2011
          Fox and CBS are both UHF stations with megawatt transmitters. You're only 12 miles away, so it's surprising that you can't get them. Try entering your exact address at:

          When the station list comes up, click on the CBS or Fox entry. That will bring up a color shaded terrain profile. You may be behind a hill.

          Other possibilities are extreme multipath from nearby structures, bad cabling or connectors. You should also rerun the channel scan on your TV.

          Link

          On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM, gbullis@... <gbullis@...> wrote:
          I have two different antennas that are supposed to get both UHF and VHF. I've tried an outside and an inside antenna, but still cannot get Fox or CBS from Oakland (94610).  Any other suggestions?

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

          > Both FOX KTVU and ABC KGO transmit from Sutro Tower in San Francisco.  KTVU transmits in the UHF band on channel 44 (not channel 2); KGO transmits in the VHF band on channel 7.  In both cases, you need to use the appropriate antenna to receive them.  A UHF antenna doesn't work well for VHF and a VHF antenna does't work well for UHF.
          >
          > A rabbit ear antenna is for VHF.  I don't know what band that RCA ANT1650 or the "boosted antenna" are for.  Many antennas are built to cover both bands.  Also note that UHF signals work better for indoor reception than VHF does, but VHF signals travel farther.
          >
          > Cupertino might be too far from Sutro Tower for reliable indoor reception.  An rooftop antenna is always the best way to get good reception, getting it as high above trees and surrounding objects as possible.  Make sure that the antenna is pointed in the correct direction and try moving it around to find the best location.
          >
          > Good luck in your endeavors.
          >
          > Larry
          > SF

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             HDTV-in-SFbay-digest@yahoogroups.com
             HDTV-in-SFbay-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • George Bullis
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2011
            Tried the map and Fox and CBS come up in the same green list as ABC and NBC.  Aren't all these signal towers in the same area?

            “Education is not the filling of a bucket, but the lighting of a fire.”

                         -- William Butler Yeats, poet

            George Bullis * gcb1@... or gbullis@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2011
              Fox, CBS, ABC, and PBS broadcast from the tower complex on Mt Sutro in San Francisco. NBC broadcasts from towers on Mt San Bruno. From your location, they are about 20 degrees apart. You should try to aim midway between them. Although at such a close distance, with such strong stations, you shouldn't need to be super accurate. Can you see Mt Sutro from your location?