Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] VHF-Hi in Santa Clara Area

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2010
      Hi Austin...

      The DB2 is an antenna designed for UHF.  While it might work on VHF with strong signals, it has no gain on those frequencies.  Probably KGO's and KNTV's signals aren't strong enough in Santa Clara for that antenna to pull them in.  You really need an antenna designed for the high VHF (7-13) channels.

      Check the antenna section of my "Broadcasting" website and you'll find a lot of dealers and other antenna information:  http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

      Good luck!

      On Nov 17, 2010, at 9:26 PM, Austin wrote:

      I recently purchased an Antenna Direct DB2 Multi-Directional HDTV TV Antenna. I live in a second floor (of two floors) apartment, and have the antenna mounted in the top corner of our storage space by the patio (Similar to an attic installation). Some channels I get quite well, others I do not. We do face south, while the towers are typically ~300 degrees. I've tried using a Radio Shack inline amplifier 15-1170 as well to boost the signal over any loss of the coaxial cable.

      AntennaWeb.org and TVfool.com both say I should be able to get 20+ channels with an indoor settop antenna. I consider the DB2 much more than that, but I can't see, get ABC or NBC. Why would I be having such a hard time? I notice that ABC and NBC are both VHF-Hi channels, but was told that the DB2 could handle VHF-Hi signals. What can I do to improve this? Ideally I am looking to get all the major networks (ABC/NBC/CBS/CW/Fox).