Indoor antenna recommendation for HDTV in Fremont

  • Sailor
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2010

      Just bought Toshiba 37E200U and I don't want (or need) cable...

      What antenna would you recommend for my area.

      I prefer indoor.

      I know that there's no such thing as digital antenna, but if you think

      one type is better than the other, please suggest

      thanks

      p.s. pretty new to all this, my first HDTV...how many channels can I expect to receive using an indoor antenna anyway?
    • Herold
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2010
        Some months ago I bought the Winegard SS-3000 "indoor low-profile
        amplified antenna". It's an amplified antenna. Size wise, it takes up a
        space about 6" tall, 6" deep, and about 30" wide (a foot and a half).

        I live near the Downtown San Jose area -- surrounded by tall buildings,
        lots of multipath.

        With this antenna and an Insigna tuner, I get almost all the available
        channels fairly reliably (as opposed to roughly half with a rabbit-ears
        and loop antenna I had been using). It's only the VHF and Santa Rosa
        stations I have issues with, though I can get the VHF if I mess around
        enough.

        I can vouch for Wineguard's customer service as well. The box was
        missing the clips to attach the reflector. The antenna works OK without
        it, except the VHF stations which I could not get at all until I
        installed the reflector. I hate the hassle of returning things to the
        store, so I inquired with Wineguard how I could purchase replacement
        clips. Even after I explained that I had already shredded the receipt,
        they were kind enough to send replacements free of charge.

        It does need to be pointed out, though, that there is no such thing as
        a "good indoor antenna". To get the best signal, one really needs a
        big, directional antenna mounted high in the air. Also, each person's
        situation is different and what works for one person might not work for
        another. The Windguard SS-3000 works fairly well for me.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2010
          Thanks for your reply...I read some reviews about this one and it says that this antenna is very specialized for metro areas that are close to the source...I don't even know what my source here in Fremont is :-) ... Is it sutro tower in SF?

          Doesn't look bad and it's not that expensive either on Amazon...not sure if they sell them in the stores...

          Are they any other types you'd recommend?

          thanks

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Herold <herry@...> wrote:

          > Some months ago I bought the Winegard SS-3000 "indoor low-profile
          > amplified antenna". It's an amplified antenna. Size wise, it takes up a
          > space about 6" tall, 6" deep, and about 30" wide (a foot and a half).
          >
          > I live near the Downtown San Jose area -- surrounded by tall buildings,
          > lots of multipath.
          >
          > With this antenna and an Insigna tuner, I get almost all the available
          > channels fairly reliably (as opposed to roughly half with a rabbit-ears
          > and loop antenna I had been using). It's only the VHF and Santa Rosa
          > stations I have issues with, though I can get the VHF if I mess around
          > enough.
          >
          > I can vouch for Wineguard's customer service as well. The box was
          > missing the clips to attach the reflector. The antenna works OK without
          > it, except the VHF stations which I could not get at all until I
          > installed the reflector. I hate the hassle of returning things to the
          > store, so I inquired with Wineguard how I could purchase replacement
          > clips. Even after I explained that I had already shredded the receipt,
          > they were kind enough to send replacements free of charge.
          >
          > It does need to be pointed out, though, that there is no such thing as
          > a "good indoor antenna". To get the best signal, one really needs a
          > big, directional antenna mounted high in the air. Also, each person's
          > situation is different and what works for one person might not work for
          > another. The Windguard SS-3000 works fairly well for me.
          >

          > On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:16:14 -0000
          > "Sailor" <dcyp2@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Just bought Toshiba 37E200U and I don't want (or need) cable...
          > >
          > > What antenna would you recommend for my area.
          > >
          > > I prefer indoor.
          > >
          > > I know that there's no such thing as digital antenna, but if you
          > > think
          > >
          > > one type is better than the other, please suggest
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >
          > > p.s. pretty new to all this, my first HDTV...how many channels can I
          > > expect to receive using an indoor antenna anyway?

        • chengyun_chen
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2010
            I have very good experience with Turk HDTVa indoor antenna in South Bay.
            I recommended it to my friend in Fremont, and they also have very good experience with it.

            It is a very good directional antenna.
            You just need to point it to San Francisco (Sutro tower and San Bruno Mtn) for all major local channels.

            All channels from East bay hills also come in perfectly.

            I can pick up 40+ channels in South Bay (North San Jose), with about 10 of them HD.

            Cheng-yun