Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Channel Master 4228HD - Receive VHF?

  • Link Perry
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
      That's the same idea as the Winegard 7696 I've been using. It's a VHF-Hi/UHF antenna, part of their 769x series (as in chs 7-69). They range from the smallest 7694 to the largest 7697. They seem to have better gain specs than the ChannelMaster 2016. I've been using it mounted in my attic in San Jose at 38 miles from Sutro, and I can count the dropouts on one hand over a year. There probably wouldn't be any at all if it was outside on the roof, but I don't want to deal with steep roofs and grounding issues.

      link

      On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Don Hackler <donh@...> wrote:
       I recently received one of these antennas to try out.
      http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/2040007.html

      It's the Up-7 from Denny's Antenna service.
      It's a combination of the typical UHF Yagi and the High-VHF section of a
      typical all-band Yagi.

      I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

      = = =

      On the other hand, we put a 4228 style antenna up at the KCSM studio in
      San Mateo last week.  It's in a text book perfect situation,  about 60
      feet up on a tower, on a hill with direct line-of-site to both Sutro
      Tower and San Bruno Mountain.   It works fine for the UHF stations, and
      good enough for the VHF stations.  It picks up KRCB on Sonoma Mountain
      (about 60 miles).   It only gets fair reception of the south bay
      stations on Monument Peak (almost behind the antenna) and the Mt. Diablo
      stations (off to the side)

      On 9/20/2010 11:33 AM, nwsayer wrote:
      > I am able to get reasonably good reception from KSBW and KCBA in southern Santa Clara, which may be a similar circumstance to what you describe.
      >
      > In my experience, you can get VHF to bend around an obstruction a little bit, but UHF has absolutely no chance without a line of sight.
      >
      > If your reception is at all marginal, then the VHF capabilities of either the 4228 or 4228HD are not going to cut it. You're going to want to get a dedicated VHF-hi yagi.
      >
      > Also, the 4228HD, at least according to the accounts I have read, has a horrible, horrible balun. If you can get ahold of the older model somewhere, do so in favor of the HD, IMHO.
      >
      > The other nice thing about a dedicated VHF antenna is that you can aim it a different direction. For me, I've got my 4228 optimized for KRCB, but it still is able to pick up all the local stuff from Sutro, San Bruno and Monument Peak / Mt. Allison just fine. The Y5-7-13 I have is aimed almost exactly 180 degrees the other way to hit Fremont Peak, which means it must pick up KGO and KNTV off the back. The resulting reception is good enough, but the multipath is quite ugly - it would certainly be an unacceptable analog picture.
      >
      > Of course, for the VHF part of the 4228/4228HD, "aiming" is a moot point. The VHF antenna pattern is omnidirectional. In describing the 4228, I would actually replace the phrase "omnidirectional" with "equally poor in all directions.":)
      >

      > --- InHDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com,"onthewater@..."  <onthewater@...>  wrote:
      >> >
      >> >  We're frustrated here in Sausalito trying to receive a full complement of stations:  2, 5, 7, 9&  11.  Have tried several antennas, but none are as good as our old Mini-State 5MS750.  However, in our location it will not pick up Ch 11 (NBC) which is on VHF.
      >> >  I want to try the 4228HD, but will either have to buy it on eBay or travel to a Fry's store.  Is anyone having good luck receiving UHF and VHF channels here in the Bay Area where we have so many hills and obstructions?
      >> >  Thanks,
      >> >  Sue

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional