Re: "50 mbps"

  • bob_lopaka
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2010

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "ednixon" <ednixon@...> wrote:

      > Of course if ATSC-153 "MDTV" gets underway, the old HDTV is out the window. It's been tested here in S.F. but I'm pretty sure there is no MDTV on the air here now.

      KICU-TV is transmitting ATSC M/H (A/153), Mobile Handheld.  It doesn't replace the regular ATSC service but rather it is in addition to.

    • Steve Lee
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2010

        What is ATSC-153 "MDTV" exactly?  Any links to specs or overview material?

        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2010

          A/153 is the ATSC Mobile DTV Standard, not sure where the earlier poster got the MDTV part.  Following is an ATSC link:

          http://tinyurl.com/2fglkfn

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2010

            Here is the Wikipedia definition, reader beware:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC-M/H

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lee <stelee1969@...> wrote:

            > What is ATSC-153 "MDTV" exactly? Any links to specs or overview material?
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Neutrino78x
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2010
              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "ednixon" <ednixon@...> wrote:

              > Don is certainly right, NBC and CBS distribute HD to their >affiliates
              > using a 50mbps link.

              However, it is not correct that an HD stream cannot be transmitted at less than 50 Mbps without some catastrophic loss of quality.

              5 Mbps or lower bitrate for HD works just fine, if you are using a good codec. If you're using MPEG-2, then, no, you might not be able to transmit it at a low bitrate. It all depends.

              Of course, let us assume that 50 Mbps is required. That still does not rule out IPTV, because the National Broadband Plan is to get 100 Mbps (minimum if everyone in the subnet is using it, however you need to think of it) to most people in the country.

              But, it doesn't matter, because 50 Mbps is NOT required. Period.

              --Brian