Re: "50 mbps"

  • nwsayer
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2010
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "ednixon" <ednixon@...> wrote:

      > CBS, at their O&O stations devotes full bandwidth to HD in their ATSC, at the other extreme is Warren Trumbly's KAXT low power ATSC
      > down on the peninsula that has had as many as 20 SD streams. I think KAXT is doing about 12 now. Anyone know ?

      Last time I checked, it was 12 of video and 3 radio. And the video looks like YouTube. In fact, a couple of the streams I'm pretty sure *are* like YouTube - it looks like they're just broadcasting web videos inside of a box-frame. Weird.

      > Of course if ATSC-153 "MDTV" gets underway, the old HDTV is out the window.

      TANSTAAFL. If they increase the bandwidth, they will also increase either the required S/N for good reception or the bandwidth of the signal. I don't see how either of those is reasonably possible unless they're going to tell people that to receive it they need a dish and a *direct* LOS. And if they're going to do that, then they might as well do it over EHF where there's plenty of bandwidth.

      I still think that ATSC, as it is now, is the last standard we will see for the fixed terrestrial broadcast television service. The next step is IPTV, which makes the divorce of the content and its transport medium final.
    • bob_lopaka
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2010

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "ednixon" <ednixon@...> wrote:

        > Of course if ATSC-153 "MDTV" gets underway, the old HDTV is out the window. It's been tested here in S.F. but I'm pretty sure there is no MDTV on the air here now.

        KICU-TV is transmitting ATSC M/H (A/153), Mobile Handheld.  It doesn't replace the regular ATSC service but rather it is in addition to.

      • Steve Lee
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2010

          What is ATSC-153 "MDTV" exactly?  Any links to specs or overview material?

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2010

            A/153 is the ATSC Mobile DTV Standard, not sure where the earlier poster got the MDTV part.  Following is an ATSC link:

            http://tinyurl.com/2fglkfn

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2010

              Here is the Wikipedia definition, reader beware:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC-M/H

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lee <stelee1969@...> wrote:

              > What is ATSC-153 "MDTV" exactly? Any links to specs or overview material?
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Neutrino78x
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2010
                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "ednixon" <ednixon@...> wrote:

                > Don is certainly right, NBC and CBS distribute HD to their >affiliates
                > using a 50mbps link.

                However, it is not correct that an HD stream cannot be transmitted at less than 50 Mbps without some catastrophic loss of quality.

                5 Mbps or lower bitrate for HD works just fine, if you are using a good codec. If you're using MPEG-2, then, no, you might not be able to transmit it at a low bitrate. It all depends.

                Of course, let us assume that 50 Mbps is required. That still does not rule out IPTV, because the National Broadband Plan is to get 100 Mbps (minimum if everyone in the subnet is using it, however you need to think of it) to most people in the country.

                But, it doesn't matter, because 50 Mbps is NOT required. Period.

                --Brian