RE: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Dark?

  • Richard Swank
    Message 1 of 74 , Apr 5, 2010

      The problem with white spaces use is that it is very likely going to interfere with on-air broadcaster transmissions.  The reason there are empty channels even in San Francisco is that history has proven that when these would be used by other broadcasters  they would cause interference.  The FCC has a historic knowledge of this and disallows applications that might interfere with existing services.  White space use is extremely dangerous if the transmitter is in your neighborhood as for basically no reason you will be impacted and those not near you will not be.  White space use is proposed to be not under the control of the FCC and therefore helter skelter.  If I had a choice I'd rather lose some spectrum than allow white space use of the spectrum as it would mean less broadcasters on-air but at least they wouldn't be interfered with without recourse.  Over-all the public will lose over the air broadcaster entertainment options with the reduced spectrum but the ones they have wouldn't be interfered with.

      This whole problem is complicated and there are definite consequences messing with large markets where most available channels are on-air.  In small markets where not all available channels are being used a non-broadcast service use of an available channel might be OK as long as they are governed by the FCC and not allowed to interfere.

      Message 74 of 74 , Apr 8, 2010

        Well that can be taken the wrong way.....it is just that after a week+ regarding a topic that turns out to be a political issue verses any technical issue it is time to stop discussing it on a technical based users group.  By the way I meant either pro or con call your congressman.   I'm too old to make my life miserable either way but I am con the issue.