Half a picture?

  • Otto
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
      Last night everything was perfect. I just turned on the tv now (1pm) and I'm getting half a picture for everything from Sutro and San Bruno. The info from my external tuner (LG LST4200A) says the picture is 16:9, 720p. Even the commercials are half picture. The picture is not squeezed or distorted. I'm just missing the right half of the picture.
    • Phil Ross
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
        It has to be you. Do you have another receiver to try, since I suspect your LG is having a problem.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
          Thanks Phil. Yeah, it was me. I checked the tv in the garage and back bedroom (analog with funky STBs) and they were fine. I turned off the tv and turned it back on and all was fine. I'd hate to think the trusty ol' LG is going because I'm not sure what I could replace it with. The Sony has a single DVI input so whatever STB I need would have to be DVI out. Haven't looked in years so I don't know what's out there.

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Ross" <paross@...> wrote:

          > It has to be you. Do you have another receiver to try, since I suspect your LG is having a problem.

        • gwydion
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
            I've had that happen a couple times with my Samsung as well. Not sure
            what the cause is, but the on-off cycle seems to fix it and there aren't
            any other signs of trouble. Maybe a random computer glitch?

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
              If push came to shove, Otto, you could get a a STB with HDMI out and buy an HDMI to DVI cable. It would work just fine. let's just hope it was a temporary glitch and all is well from now on.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
                Thanks for the tip. I'd hate to give up the LG until I'm ready to upgrade the tv because it's given me trouble-free HDTV for years. Hopefully it was just an electronic burp and nothing serious.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
                  One thing to consider is heat. How long has it been since you opened up the box and blew out the dust. Last year, my Sony KDE42XBR950 started acting up, shutting itself down etc. Since it has been in service since 2004, I decided to open the control box (this TV has a separate box with the receiver and connections, etc) and it was packed with dust. I got out the old vacuum, put the hose on the blow end, and took the unit outside and made a giant dust cloud for my neighbors. Hooked everything back up and haven't had a problem since.

                  I do the same thing with my PCs every couple of years, so I plan on adding my Sony and LG LST3410A to the list of items requiring periodic de-dusting. Can't help thinking that removing the blanket of dust from the electronics will help keep things running cooler....and longer.

                  Phil

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
                    I'm embarassed to say that I didn't even think of that. I do that periodically for the two towers that we have in the computer room but it didn't dawn on me to do that with the LG. I have two, brand new cans of compressed air so I know what I'm going to be doing Saturday morning. Thanks!