Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: OTA Tuner w/HDMI out?

  • Don Hackler
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
      I've seen this problem with HD (IBOC) radio tuners... the chip sets and displays in the radio put out so much RF that the whip on the radio can't pick up anything except really strong local signals, but when you hook up an external antenna, they work fine. Even just putting 10 feet of coax between the radio and the little whip does wonders....

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 9, 2010
        It has a whip attached that's good enough to get Sutro and San Bruno stations, but nothing further away. It has an F-connector for an external antenna. With the 4228 attached it does better on the Mt. Allison - Monument Peak and Sacto-Stockton stations than my big Sony. I'd say it's close to my Insignia converter box for both sensitivity and rejection of multipath. I'm quite pleased with it.

        Only thing I don't like is the signal strength indicator... it simply says "Good", "Bad" on "No Signal". I haven't figured out yet where it changes from "Bad" to "Good". Channels 14 and 36 are "Good" while 1, 48 and 54, plus all of the Walnut Grove stations are "Bad". 22 from Sonoma is sometimes "Good", sometimes "Bad".

        It lasts about an hour 50 minutes on a fully charged battery. One problem... it won't charge with the cigarette lighter, only the wall wart, so it's not going to be very good for long periods of time without power.

        I haven't tried it mobile yet. I'll have to see if it works as well as my USB Dvico tuner in my laptop.

        On Jan 8, 2010, at 1:11 PM, nwsayer wrote:

        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I just received a portable 7-inch Axion TV for my birthday. It was purchased at Best Buy for $79.95 on sale. It has a better tuner than my Sony XBR5 TV! It seems like receivers are getting better and more sensitive all the time.
        >

        > Is this hooked up to your outdoor antenna, or on the internal whip?
        >
        > I've had a portable ATSC TV for a while now, and on a proper outdoor antenna, it works as well as any tuner in the house. But on the whip, it's deaf as a post - it can pull in the Mt. Alison / Monument Peak stations (which I can actually *see* with binoculars), but only just. Nothing at all from Sutro or San Bruno.

      • Neutrino78x
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 10, 2010
          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:
          > It lasts about an hour 50 minutes on a fully charged battery. One >problem... it won't charge with the cigarette lighter, only the wall >wart, so it's not going to be very good for long periods of time >without power.

          this device may solve that problem for you :)

          http://tinyurl.com/5bdu49

          It is an amazon.com page for a device that takes the cigarette lighter as input, and yields an output of 115 V at 140 watts.

          Just search ask.com for cigarette lighter ac adapter, and you will find several such devices. :)

          --Brian
        • bliffle
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 10, 2010
            I have an old LG 3410A which has HDMI and it has worked well for me for about 6 years. It has a DVR with a 250gb Quickview HDD. Many 3410A users claim it has the best video playback quality.

            I like it. The reception is good, and the playback is sharp and, seemingly, accurate.

            You can sometimes find them on eBay, or the AVS forum.

            At the AVS forum you will also discover two prominent problems:

            1-the TV Guide data is hard to acquire since TVG has been screwing around with their feed. This problem is exacerbated because the LG people chose to suppress the EPG data builtin to the digital signal feed (unlike the old Samsung SIR-T351 which DOES display EPG). Thus, I find it beneficial to keep a nearby computer open to TitanTV for program info, but that doesn't help automatic recording.

            2-there are some capacitors which age and fail. One of the AVS guys has instructions and parts for an electronics capable DIY guy to correct this.

            An additional problem is that it is very difficult to transcribe programs from the internal HDD to some other media, such as your own computer. The data format is some obscure proprietary spec chosen SPECIFICALLY to confound transcription to protect media owners DRM. It may be possible to copy the 1394 stream during playback using some trick software, but it's never worked for me. Anyhow, once copied to a PC how would a guy display the content satisfactorily, except, maybe, to output it again as HDMI/DVI? Maybe Blu-Ray?

            I have many hours of choice content on my old 3410A disks so I'll keep it for those replays, but for daily TV viewing I find myself using a PC USB tuner such as the Hauppage 950 or the Aver Volar.

            John

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 10, 2010
              Good idea, Brian. I hadn't thought about using an inverter, but that would do the trick.