"Easy" options for OTA in San Carlos area

  • pdawg171717
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      I'm in San Carlos (94070) and want to try OTA but do not want to go through a big setup if I can help it...I haven't tried an indoor/attic antenna on the second floor but wonder if it would work with the Belmont hills anyway...I have a two-story home and Directv...I do not have a chimney and do not have any usable vent pipes...

      What antenna would you recommend I try that I can buy locally (in case it doesn't work) and is there a type that can clamp to my Directv mast? I don't have the right kind of eaves to mount from that and the wife doesn't want anything drilled into the roof...do I have any options?
    • nwsayer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
        I recommend a tripod mount on the roof. They are strong enough for around here (wind wise) when used with a single mast section, which is probably good enough. Unless you want to take a try at DXing, a Channel Master CM2016 is an excellent choice. Point it at Sutro Tower and you'll probably get everything. Your wife needn't worry about drilling into the roof. The tripod mounts include pitch pads that you put under the feet. The pitch seals around the screws. If your wife's REAL objections are based in aesthetics, well, there's always cable. :)

        Although you'll be receiving the Mt. Alison / Monument Peak stations (KICU, KTEH, KDTV and KSTS) off the side, you're probably still close enough it'll work without a rotator. However, if you don't speak Spanish, your only real incentive to pick up those stations is if there's something on KICU that you want.

        I do not recommend mounting an OTA antenna in combination with your dish. Either the OTA antenna will be too small and inefficient to be of any use or it'll induce enough wind load to affect the aiming of your dish. Besides, OTA antennas should be as high as possible. Dish masts are typically barely taller than the dish.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "pdawg171717" <pdawg17@...> wrote:

        > I'm in San Carlos (94070) and want to try OTA but do not want to go through a big setup if I can help it...I haven't tried an indoor/attic antenna on the second floor but wonder if it would work with the Belmont hills anyway...I have a two-story home and Directv...I do not have a chimney and do not have any usable vent pipes...
        >
        > What antenna would you recommend I try that I can buy locally (in case it doesn't work) and is there a type that can clamp to my Directv mast? I don't have the right kind of eaves to mount from that and the wife doesn't want anything drilled into the roof...do I have any options?

      • Link Perry
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
          Your success will depend very much on whether you're down in a valley. Try entering your exact address at:
          http://www.tvfool.com

          Then click on KNTV-DT (Mt San Bruno), KTVU-DT and KGO-DT (Mt Sutro). This will show a color coded terrain profile. Your location will be at the far right of the plot, with the transmitter at the far left. If you're down in a valley, where the color code becomes blue or purple, then you may have trouble.

          Link Perry

          On 1/1/10, pdawg171717 <pdawg17@...> wrote:
          I'm in San Carlos (94070) and want to try OTA but do not want to go through a big setup if I can help it...I haven't tried an indoor/attic antenna on the second floor but wonder if it would work with the Belmont hills anyway...I have a two-story home and Directv...I do not have a chimney and do not have any usable vent pipes...

          What antenna would you recommend I try that I can buy locally (in case it doesn't work) and is there a type that can clamp to my Directv mast?  I don't have the right kind of eaves to mount from that and the wife doesn't want anything drilled into the roof...do I have any options?

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              HDTV-in-SFbay-digest@yahoogroups.com
              HDTV-in-SFbay-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • pdawg171717
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
            Which part of the color-coded terrain should I be looking at? For example, KGO shows light green on the right (with darker green behind some hills) and then like a rainbow becomes red at the far left...there is some yellow/green along the bottom behind some hills along the way...make sense?

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
              Do you know of a local store where I could pick up a CM2016?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                On 1/1/10, pdawg171717 <pdawg17@...> wrote:
                Which part of the color-coded terrain should I be looking at?  For example, KGO shows light green on the right (with darker green behind some hills) and then like a rainbow becomes red at the far left...there is some yellow/green along the bottom behind some hills along the way...make sense?

                Your location is at the far right of the terrain plot, at the top of the terrain at that point. If you can draw a straight line  from that point to the transmitter at the far left at the top of the spike, without intersecting any terrain points, then you're golden - you have a clear line of sight. If you're only slightly below the clear line of sight than you can still get signal since it diffracts somewhat around obstacles -that's where those rainbow fringes in the valleys come in. As I understand it (and I'm no expert), lower frequencies like the NBC and ABC stations on VHF will diffract more than higher frequency UHF stations, which are more line-of sight. This is offset somewhat by the much higher power used by the UHF stations.

                Link

              • pdawg171717
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                  Sorry to sound dense but you are saying to draw a line from the bottom right corner of the plot box at its highest point to the white section on the left? I think I'm fine except for KNTV it shows me behind some terrain to the right (probably the Belmont Hills) but within the "rainbow effect (green)" behind that terrain...

                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Link Perry <link.perry@...> wrote:

                  > On 1/1/10, pdawg171717 <pdawg17@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Which part of the color-coded terrain should I be looking at? For example,
                  > > KGO shows light green on the right (with darker green behind some hills) and
                  > > then like a rainbow becomes red at the far left...there is some yellow/green
                  > > along the bottom behind some hills along the way...make sense?
                  >

                  > Your location is at the far right of the terrain plot, at the top of the
                  > terrain at that point. If you can draw a straight line from that point to
                  > the transmitter at the far left at the top of the spike, without
                  > intersecting any terrain points, then you're golden - you have a clear line
                  > of sight. If you're only slightly below the clear line of sight than you can
                  > still get signal since it diffracts somewhat around obstacles -that's where
                  > those rainbow fringes in the valleys come in. As I understand it (and I'm no
                  > expert), lower frequencies like the NBC and ABC stations on VHF will
                  > diffract more than higher frequency UHF stations, which are more line-of
                  > sight. This is offset somewhat by the much higher power used by the UHF
                  > stations.
                  >
                  > Link

                • Link Perry
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
                    If the color at your location is is green you should be OK. BTW, Amazon has the CM2016 antenna for $33 with free shipping.

                    http://is.gd/5Jmrv

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Thanks for all the help guys...it looks like things should work...for a tripod on the roof it would be best to put it over the peak of the roof right (highest point)? Are there tripods that have leg adjustments so that it can be placed on a slope of a roof?

                      With the pitch pads you just place them under the legs of the tripod and screw the bolts in through it?

                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Link Perry <link.perry@...> wrote:

                      > If the color at your location is is green you should be OK. BTW, Amazon has
                      > the CM2016 antenna for $33 with free shipping.
                      >
                      > http://is.gd/5Jmrv
                      >
                      > On 1/1/10, pdawg171717 <pdawg17@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Sorry to sound dense but you are saying to draw a line from the bottom
                      > > right corner of the plot box at its highest point to the white section on
                      > > the left? I think I'm fine except for KNTV it shows me behind some terrain
                      > > to the right (probably the Belmont Hills) but within the "rainbow effect
                      > > (green)" behind that terrain...
                      > >

                      > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Link Perry <link.perry@> wrote:

                      > > example,
                      > > hills) and
                      > > yellow/green
                      > > >

                      > > > Your location is at the far right of the terrain plot, at the top of the
                      > > > terrain at that point. If you can draw a straight line from that point
                      > > > the transmitter at the far left at the top of the spike, without
                      > > > intersecting any terrain points, then you're golden - you have a clear
                      > > line
                      > > > of sight. If you're only slightly below the clear line of sight than you
                      > > can
                      > > > still get signal since it diffracts somewhat around obstacles -that's
                      > > where
                      > > > those rainbow fringes in the valleys come in. As I understand it (and I'm
                      > > no
                      > > > expert), lower frequencies like the NBC and ABC stations on VHF will
                      > > > diffract more than higher frequency UHF stations, which are more line-of
                      > > > sight. This is offset somewhat by the much higher power used by the UHF
                      > > > stations.
                      > > >
                      > > > Link

                    • Neutrino78x
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                        This post is a good example of why the broadcast companies need to provide more digital "translators", or boosters, for people who live in slightly outlying areas. Like, poor Morgan Hill and Gilroy are not that far from the major population center, San Jose, yet we are blocked by a hill from getting much signal indoors.

                        --Brian