Re: Antenna for HD Radio

  • nwsayer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "h_d_t_v" <hdtv@...> wrote:

      > I was thinking of adding some sort of omnidirectional antenna to the top of the CM 4228 mast. I don't want to have to run any more cables. I want to use the existing TV antenna cable. Do I actually need a joiner?

      Yes.

      > Which one?

      Any UHF/VHF splitter should do. FM radio is just above the end of TV channel 6.

      Note that this will screw up using the CM4228 as a VHF Hi antenna (for KNTV and KGO). Your omni should, therefore, be something that will work for both VHF Hi and VHF Lo. As a bonus, you'll have a better shot of receiving KTVJ when they go on the air from Mt. Tam (RF channel 4).

      > Does FM interfere with DTV?

      Not normally. Sometimes a large number of FM stations close by can overload a VHF amplifier. To get around that, often amps have FM traps that cut out the FM band. I have the FM trap in on my CM7777, though, but the spectrum analyzer shows that about the bottom third of the FM band makes it in before the filter starts rolling off.

      > This is the antenna I was considering: http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=108
      >
      > An indoor solution would be easier but I'm skeptical one could be found because of the TV interference issue.

      That, and indoor antennas generally are a crapshoot anyway. If you have an indoor antenna and it isn't working satisfactorily, the next step is to put up an outdoor antenna, period.