New Sutro Tower photo

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2009
      For the first time in many days, the fog cleared away from Sutro
      Tower today allowing me to get a shot of the tower out of my living
      room window. The old channel 4-5 batwing antenna was lowered to the
      ground early last week, so that mast is much shorter than we've ever
      seen it. Only the old channel 2 antenna remains.

      Here's a link to the photo taken today and one to my Sutro Tower site
      where I have several photos of the antenna project that were taken a
      week ago and before. More photos will be added as the fog permits.

      New photo: http://www.larrykenney.com/images/sutro803top.jpg

      Sutro Tower site: http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2009

        Larry, great picture.  Part of the KTVU Channel 2 antenna is on the ground.  Hopefully you will be able to get a good picture when the stack has been completely removed.

        LopakaBob

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

        > For the first time in many days, the fog cleared away from Sutro
        > Tower today allowing me to get a shot of the tower out of my living
        > room window. The old channel 4-5 batwing antenna was lowered to the
        > ground early last week, so that mast is much shorter than we've ever
        > seen it. Only the old channel 2 antenna remains.
        >
        > Here's a link to the photo taken today and one to my Sutro Tower site
        > where I have several photos of the antenna project that were taken a
        > week ago and before. More photos will be added as the fog permits.
        >
        > New photo: http://www.larrykenney.com/images/sutro803top.jpg
        >
        > Sutro Tower site: http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html
        >
        > Larry
        > SF

      • Swank, Richard (NBC Universal, KNTV)
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009
          I'm at Sutro today for KNTV. I noticed that they pulled another section of the old ch-2/4 antenna down this morning. I don't know if that is the last section or not but if it clears it might be a good picture.

          Richard Swank

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009
            There's still a short stub showing on Sutro as of 2 o'clock.

            I just updated my site with some new photos taken in the past couple of days... on the tower and on the ground.

            On Aug 5, 2009, at 9:14 AM, Swank, Richard (NBC Universal, KNTV) wrote:

            I'm at Sutro today for KNTV. I noticed that they pulled another section of the old ch-2/4 antenna down this morning. I don't know if that is the last section or not but if it clears it might be a good picture.

            Richard Swank

          • Nick Sayer
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009
              From that page:

              "If you look at the wide shot above showing the top of the tower,
              you'll see an FM antenna on the right side not shown in the tower
              diagram. I do not know which station this antenna is for."

              It's on the diagram now - it's KOIT's temporary antenna. Presumably they'll use it while the North stack is being dismantled.

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

              > There's still a short stub showing on Sutro as of 2 o'clock.
              >
              > I just updated my site with some new photos taken in the past couple
              > of days... on the tower and on the ground.
              >
              > http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html
              >
              > Larry
              > SF

            • Richard Swank
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009

                The stub is at least partially the Gin pole the riggers use as a crane.  But it does look like still some antenna mast there.  Seems like they are cutting it up in short sections and bringing it down that way?  I noticed they have a short tower section they’ll be putting up on top to set the new antennas on as well.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
                  I just added four new photos to my Sutro Tower page. Two are of the
                  new KOFY and KPIX/KRON/KTVU antennas on the ground being prepared for
                  installation, and near the bottom of the page are two of Bobby of
                  Sonoma County on Level 6 of the tower.

                  http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html

                • epicurusradium
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
                    --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

                    > I just added four new photos to my Sutro Tower page. Two are of the
                    > new KOFY and KPIX/KRON/KTVU antennas on the ground being prepared for
                    > installation, and near the bottom of the page are two of Bobby of
                    > Sonoma County on Level 6 of the tower.
                    >
                    > http://www.larrykenney.com/sutrotwr.html
                    >
                    > Larry
                    > SF

                    Can't quite make out the KGO antenna --
                    Looks like a helix, or is that my imagination? If a vertical helix, i'm assuming that it would be omni directional with circular polarization.(?)

                    Again, assuming that is the case would not that be quite a waste of transmitter power? Especially if limited to less than 50kw, why not use a system that has a radiation pattern comprising a half circle, null side toward the ocean?

                    (All just speculation here, but sometimes my imagination just likes to run wild......so, time for a reality check.)