RE: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Longely-rice predictions for KGO, main vs. aux antenna

  • Richard Swank
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 3, 2009

      So KGO has a higher ERP from the lower AUX antennas.  Interesting.

      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 6, 2009
        I would guess that the directionality is what generates the added ERP. That is, they wanted the higher ERP for their service area because they were lower down on the tower, so they use a carotid pattern to achieve increased ERP with the same transmitter PEP. That way they don't have to buy a bigger amp/transmitter for their auxiliary setup.

        I'm not an expert on high powered VHF transmitters, but I would still be surprised if it would make sense to design one that you would need to increase transmitter power significantly when you wanted to use the auxiliary antenna.