Re: Single antenna for Sutro (286 deg) and SB Mountain (165 de) from Noe Valley?

  • s.ydna
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3 3:41 PM
      A single antenna seems to work.

      I got a Winegard HD 7694P and I'm pointing it at San Bruno Mt (to get NBC). It picks up the Sutro Tower signals from the back / environment.

      The initial idea was to get 2 antennas, both with high directivity.
      - The signal from the Sutro Tower is LOS, 1.1 miles. So I had concerns about multi-path issues with such a strong signal and lots of houses and moving cars in the vicinity.
      - The signal from San Bruno Mt is non-LOS, 4.4 miles. I'm almost at the top of the hill, but just almost. So some of the hill and a few houses block LOS.

      If I point the antenna directly at Sutro, signal strength is about 10% stronger for Sutro channels than when pointing the antenna at San Bruno Mt. Just 10% and the two directions are 120 degrees apart. I'm surprised, but glad.
      I get NBC channels only when pointing the antenna at San Bruno Mt.

      Overall, signal strength is pretty good. I don't see any artifacts on any of the Sutro / SB Mt channels I get.

      As for the hardware, I went with a tripod as a mount, a 5 ft mast and said Winegard HD 7694P. I reused our existing coax cabling that we already had from our previous satellite Dish setup. Used a new 20 ft outdoor 75 Ohm coax cable to connect the closest coax adapter to the antenna.

      Overall, it was a really easy setup.

      Choosing the right antenna...
      Initially, I'd have gone with a CM 2018, but that model isn't available yet. I preferred it over the CM 2016 because I wanted higher directivity. In hindsight, an antenna with less directivity would probably have been better for my setup. I didn't think a single antenna would work. I don't think I really need that much gain for the NBC channels and the better omni-directional characteristics would probably boost signal strength for the Sutro tower channels.

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Kenney" <Larry@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, April 17, 2009 9:30 pm, s.ydna wrote:
      > > Thanks Larry,
      > <snip>
      > > I don't see any downside to the 2018 (other than its slightly higher
      > > price), so I'll go with that one. It's directional enough to fight
      > > multi-path with Sutro and to experiment with San Bruno Mt.
      > >
      > > I guess I'll order from some online store. But that's just the start.
      > >

      > > Do you know one or good stores in the neighborhood (or otherwise in SF)
      > > for cables, mounts, antennas, joins, etc?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > - Andy
      >
      > Let us know how the 2016 or 2018... whichever you get... works for you, so
      > we'll know for future reference.
      >
      > Locally I get connectors and cables at Radio Shack on 24th Street. Their
      > gold standard connectors seem to be fine and I'm using RG-6 from there.
      > For antennas, mounts, joiners, etc. you can try Frys Electronics, but
      > their stock varies from week to week. You never know what they'll have,
      > and the stock varies from store to store. I've given up and gone with
      > companies on the web. You'll find several listed under the antenna
      > section of my Broadcast links - http://www.choisser.com/broadcst.html -
      > check around for availability and price.
      >
      > Larry
      > SF

    • s.ydna
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3 4:01 PM
        I shouldn't declare victory too early. :)

        I don't receive the Fox channels (2, 2.1) when pointing the antenna at SB Mt instead of at the Sutro Tower.

        While I'm not sure whether that's really a bad thing, I might want to do something about that. We'll see.