Amplifier Recommendations?

  • bhucker2
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
      Do you have suggestions on a mast-mounted amplifier for me? I live in south Pleasanton and bought a ClearStream C4 antenna for the digital transition.

      From Mount Sutro, I can get only KGO reliably. From Monument Peak, KICU and KQED are solid, but of course I want to get the main San Francisco stations -- KRON, KPIX, KNTV and KTVU. Occasionally I can get intermittent, unwatchable signals for KPIX and KNTV. I'm wondering why KGO is fine but not the others on the same tower. Surprisingly, the situation is about the same with the antenna outside above the roofline or in the attic, where it looks through siding when pointed at Sutro.

      I tried a PCT amplifier (http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional-Amplifier-Splitter-Booster-Passive/dp/B001BMKNZI/ref=pd_cp_e_2?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000F28DP2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TFK4G23DDHRW2VEF7PP), but it made things worse, so I returned it. I suppose my only option is to try another amp. What do you think of the Channel Master 7777 or the ClearStream PA-18 or CPA-19 models?

      By the way, last summer I tried a CM 4228 antenna and returned it. The C4 is much better.
    • Phil Ross
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
        I just installed a Channel Master 7777 and couldn't be happier. I've had OTA HDTV since 2004, and lately have had reception problems with channels 9 and 5 to the point that they rarely could receive them at all. I had one of those inline radio shack amps, but the signal to noise ratio on those wasn't very good, and I'm thinking that after 4 years in the elements that it just got progressively weaker to the point of dropping the signal level of UHF channels 29 and 30 below what my receivers could detect. The CM7777 has gotten me back in business.

        Of course, no amplifier is going to make much of a difference if your signal is non existent or there are lots of reflections. Pleasanton is notorious for bad OTA reception because you are on the wrong side of the East Bay hills, and unless you line up perfectly along the 580 corridor with a straight shot to Sutro, you probably going to have major problems with reception regardless of what antenna or amplifier you use. A high tower, a very directional antenna with lots of gain on a rotor, and a good amplifer with low noise numbers are probably your best shot, but you are probably still going to be a victim of geography.

        For the record, I'm in the South Bay, west side, in the Cambrian Park area of San Jose (near highway 85 and Union Ave.), so I do have to deal with problems with reception due to my proximity to the mountains and the resulting reflections, but nothing like where you are located. I'm using a Terk38 VHF/UHF combo (BIG bertha) and also a CM 4228 UHF which I select between via an A-B switch for which one renders the best reception. The CM7777 amp is inline on the Terk38, and now the signal for both VHF and UHF stations is better with the Terk antenna than when using the 4228, with the exception of those stations that are east of where the Terk is pointed (channels 20, 36, etc.). The 4228 is pointed a little to the "left" (east) of the Terk, so if I need solid reception on 20 or 36, I can select the 4228. Not an issue though with 2 of my 4 DTV receivers, which happen to be the newer ones. At any rate, on my last scan on my 4 year old Sony plasma using the Terk antenna and 7777 amp, it found 19 DTV channels.

        Phil

        Do you have suggestions on a mast-mounted amplifier for me? I live in south Pleasanton and bought a ClearStream C4 antenna for the digital transition.

        From Mount Sutro, I can get only KGO reliably. From Monument Peak, KICU and KQED are solid, but of course I want to get the main San Francisco stations -- KRON, KPIX, KNTV and KTVU. Occasionally I can get intermittent, unwatchable signals for KPIX and KNTV. I'm wondering why KGO is fine but not the others on the same tower. Surprisingly, the situation is about the same with the antenna outside above the roofline or in the attic, where it looks through siding when pointed at Sutro.

        I tried a PCT amplifier (http://www.amazon. com/Bi-Direction al-Amplifier- Splitter- Booster-Passive/ dp/B001BMKNZI/ ref=pd_cp_ e_2?pf_rd_ p=413863501& pf_rd_s=center- 41&pf_rd_ t=201&pf_ rd_i=B000F28DP2& pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIK X0DER&pf_ rd_r=1TFK4G23DDH RW2VEF7PP), but it made things worse, so I returned it. I suppose my only option is to try another amp. What do you think of the Channel Master 7777 or the ClearStream PA-18 or CPA-19 models?

        By the way, last summer I tried a CM 4228 antenna and returned it. The C4 is much better.

      • red2grass
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2009
          Pleasanton is not equal to no OTA. On the contrary, I can get KGO and KPIX with an indoor antenna in Pleasanton. With a CM4228 on the roof, the only time I have reception issues is when the transmitter is down.
          I am on the south east side hills, the height and the distance to the west side hills may help a lot.
          But if you can get KGO reliably, you have hope to get all of the sutro. Try the new channel master 4228HD. I did not know much about ClearStream C4 antenna, but googled it. They advertise it small and powerful. Anytime I see something like "small" or "compact", it is a red flag for poor performance. The notorious Terk has these claims. Try CM 4228HD. I have ordered it from amazon.com for $90 with free shipping. The best about amazon is that if the antenna does not work out, you can return it for FREE.