Re: OTA on a cell phone?

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009

      Channel 55 would not be allowed in the SF market until Channel 56 shuts down as there would be an impermissable level of adjacent channel interference to channel 56.

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Francis L. Martin" <ednixon@...> wrote:

      > Media-Flo is broadcast to phones like the AT&T LG "Vu" on UHF Channel 55.
      > Qualcomm owns and operates Ch. 55 transmitters in 58 cities.
      > I believe the San Francisco MediaFLO transmitter is still under construction.
      >

      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Ron Economos w6rz@ wrote:
      > >
      > > It's a MediaFlo capable phone. I don't believe there is any MediaFlo service
      > > in the Bay Area.
      > >
      > > Ron

    • Francis L. Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
        It looks as if Qualcomm is making plans to move KTVU-DT away from channel 56 so as not to interfere with their nationwide manifest destiny to own channel 55 in every market.
        From "Broadcasting and Cable" magazine;
        "MediaFlo will be able to turn on service in markets where Channel 55 has previously been occupied or where broadcasting on that channel would have interfered with stations currently operating on adjacent channels, such as top-20 markets Boston, Houston, San Francisco and Miami."
        http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/159946-MediaFlo_Primes_for_Growth.php

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Francis L. Martin" <ednixon@...> wrote:

        > Media-Flo is broadcast to phones like the AT&T LG "Vu" on UHF Channel 55.
        > Qualcomm owns and operates Ch. 55 transmitters in 58 cities.
        > In Los Angeles this is a Rohde & Schwarz 10KW transmitter in the <a href="http://ednixon.com/pix/2005/harvard805/img_3201.jpg">Mt. Harvard building downstairs, </a>1.4 miles from Mt. Wilson.
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaFLO
        > I believe the San Francisco MediaFLO transmitter is still under construction.
        >

        > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Ron Economos <w6rz@> wrote:
        > >
        > > It's a MediaFlo capable phone. I don't believe there is any MediaFlo service
        > > in the Bay Area.
        > >
        > > Ron
        > >
        > > dragontaiwai wrote:
        > >
        > > > I just noticed on my LG VX9400 that there is an antenna with a tv
        > > > symbol. The manual says that I need to pay to get tv service from
        > > > verizon to it but there is a label on the phone saying it is OTA
        > > > capable. It'd be cool if I could get it to tune to specific channels
        > > > and get free OTA programming.
        > > >
        > > > Is it possible to get mobile DTV reception? I don't think I've seen
        > > > any mini tv's that are DTV capable (the ones that people bring to
        > > >
        > > > bbq's or games).

      • Richard Swank
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009

          I guess we know who one of the purchasers of the spectrum broadcasters had to give up is.  I wonder how they feel about the June 12th move.

          It looks as if Qualcomm is making plans to move KTVU-DT away from channel 56 so as not to interfere with their nationwide manifest destiny to own channel 55 in every market.
          From "Broadcasting and Cable" magazine;

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
            Qualcomm paid a TV station in San Diego to move off of channel 55 early so that they could test their service, they'll just have to wait in lots of the major markets because the stations on channels 54, 55, and 56 have no place to move until June 12.

            Here is San Francisco, KTVU will be moving from channel 56 to channel 44, but they can't move until KBCW analog goes off the air on June 12th.  After June 12th, channel 55 will be available for Qualcomm to use. Part of the bill delaying the transition from February to June also put the ones who bought the use of the frequencies above channel 51 on hold until June 12.

            On Mar 6, 2009, at 3:13 AM, Francis L. Martin wrote:

            It looks as if Qualcomm is making plans to move KTVU-DT away from channel 56 so as not to interfere with their nationwide manifest destiny to own channel 55 in every market.
            From "Broadcasting and Cable" magazine;