  • Joe R.
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hi All.

      I'm new to this list, and to HDTV in general.

      I have the following components:

      A. Mitsubishi (HD) WS-55857 Projection TV
      B. Mitsubishi SR-HD5 HDTV receiver
      C. Sony DVD player
      D. JVC VCR
      E. Bose Lifestyle 30 Home Theatre system.
      F. Digital Cable (and the darn box that comes with it)
      G. VHF/UHF Aerial antenna.

      Ok, so I've got all of this "stuff" now, but I really
      don't know the best way to hook it all up. One thing
      I plan to do is to get rid of the cable and get
      DTV...please tell me if this is not a good decision.

      Anyway, As it is right now, I have the aerial antenna
      going in to the HDTV receiver, the VCR going into a
      A/V jack on the TV. The DVD connecting to the tv
      through a S-Video cable. The HDTV receiver connected
      through the component input....and I haven't even
      figured out the best way to hook up the Bose system
      yet!

      Any suggestions? Tips? Help?

      Thanks,
      -Joe

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Ted Matsumura
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
        Joe,
        I'm not familiar with any of your gear except for G., but I'll make some
        starting suggestions based on stuff that I know works:

        Consider getting Dish network and a Dish 6000 receiver with OTA module.
        Consider getting a full AV receiver and 6 seperate speakers. Take a look at
        Energy, NHT, or Paradigm.

        Check with your cable company if they offer any HD programming compatible
        with your SR-HD5.

        Check on the avsforum.com or hometheaterspot.com for specific vendor forums
        for your gear.

        Good luck!

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
          Welcome Joe!

          I concur with Ted, and he's pretty experienced at all of this!
          I too would suggest going with the Dish6000 setup at this time....
          they offer more HD than DirecTV, and their OTA module works well
          with our local digital channels. None of the local cable companies
          are currently offering any HD programming. The Dish system has
          been very stable for me since I installed it in December.

          You definitely want a good HT A/V receiver -- at least capable of
          DD5.1. I also have a DD6.1 phantom channel and DTS capability
          (which is also output from my progressive DVD player). I have a
          Energy sub-woofer and center channel speaker, and I'm happy
          with them. I would suggest upgrading your DVD hookup from S-VHS
          to component or optical cable. My HDTV set is one model up from yours....
          the Mits 65857. It was definitely worth having it professionally calibrated,
          and I'm very happy with it. We'll just have to see how Mits is gonna
          honor their "upgrade promise" to include firewire next year.

          As Ted mentioned, the Internet forums are invaluable for further info!

          Good luck!

          -Mark in Morgan Hill

          At 09:02 PM 8/2/01, Ted Matsumura wrote:
          >Joe,
          > I'm not familiar with any of your gear except for G., but I'll make some
          >starting suggestions based on stuff that I know works:
          >
          >Consider getting Dish network and a Dish 6000 receiver with OTA module.
          >Consider getting a full AV receiver and 6 seperate speakers. Take a look at
          >Energy, NHT, or Paradigm.
          >
          >Check with your cable company if they offer any HD programming compatible
          >with your SR-HD5.
          >
          >Check on the avsforum.com or hometheaterspot.com for specific vendor forums
          >for your gear.
          >
          >Good luck!

        • Joe R.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
            Hi Mark and Ted.

            I appreciate the advice. I will definitely look into
            the Dish6000.

            As far as the AV system goes, my item "E" covers that
            I believe. It's the Bose AV receiver with 6
            jewel-cube speaker system.

            As far as the DVD player upgrade from S-Vid,
            unfortunately, my TV only has one component input, and
            that is where the HD receiver is connected. Not too
            sure about the optical input...I'll check that out.

            Thanks again.

            -Joe in Woodland
            (working in San Jose)

            =====

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • Ted Matsumura
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
              Hi Joe,
              I looked at the bose web pages for the input/outputs for the model 30, and
              can't tell if it has multiple inputs or does video switching. It does sound
              like it has at least one Dolby Digital input, though it doesn't say if it is
              coax or optical.

              Your SR-HD5 Directv/OTA HD unit appears to have only optical DD audio out,
              so your Bose will need an optical (toslink) input for DD decoding. These
              optical toslink cables are available for ~ $15 at frys, best buy, good guys,
              or circuit city. If the bose only has coax digital audio in, you may need a
              converter.

              Then for DVDs, it sounds like you are using your S-video connections for the
              TV. This will be OK, but not as good as component ins if you have a
              progressive scan DVD player. A component video switch would be very
              expensive, and you still might want to consider upgrading to a more flexible
              AV receiver in the future.

              At this point, you should be able to watch and hear DVDs and possibly get HD
              channels over the air, but if you're in San Jose, you'll likely need a large
              rooftop antenna and a pre-amp to lock in HD stations from SF. You'll want
              to carefully read the OTA portion of the SR-HD5 manual, and will need to
              experiment with antenna positioning. You'll need to have Directv install a
              dish for you if you want to get directv HD programming, not sure what it
              costs or what the HD programming consists of, but there should be 1 or 2
              channels of HD available there.

              For surround audio on the DVDs, if you have a 2nd digital input on the bose,
              put it there. If not, use the L/R analog outs of the DVD to the bose, or
              you could again look at switching devices, but again the more flexible A/V
              receivers even in the ~ $350-$500 range, could potentially eliminate the
              need for some of the switching you'll likely be wanting, and possibly sound
              better as well.

              If you decide to go DISH instead of DirecTV, you'd have to get a DISH
              receiver, but you wouldn't need the DISH OTA module, you could theoretically
              use your Mits. for OTA only, but you'd have more audio and video inputs to
              contend with than if you went DISH w/ OTA module.

              You may want to visit dish and directv forums and see what programming you
              like, then re-visit your HW selection. Keep the credit card handy...with
              this hobby, it's not unlikely to need to swap out new gear every month or
              two ;) Hopefully your main TV set will be good for a little longer... ;)

              --- Mark Del Secco <mds54@...> wrote:
              > Welcome Joe!
              >
              > I concur with Ted, and he's pretty experienced at
              > all of this!
              > I too would suggest going with the Dish6000 setup at
              > this time....
              > they offer more HD than DirecTV, and their OTA
              > module works well
              > with our local digital channels. None of the local
              > cable companies
              > are currently offering any HD programming. The Dish
              > system has
              > been very stable for me since I installed it in
              > December.
              >
              > You definitely want a good HT A/V receiver -- at
              > least capable of
              > DD5.1. I also have a DD6.1 phantom channel and DTS
              > capability
              > (which is also output from my progressive DVD
              > player). I have a
              > Energy sub-woofer and center channel speaker, and
              > I'm happy
              > with them. I would suggest upgrading your DVD hookup
              > from S-VHS
              > to component or optical cable. My HDTV set is one
              > model up from yours....
              > the Mits 65857. It was definitely worth having it
              > professionally calibrated,
              > and I'm very happy with it. We'll just have to see
              > how Mits is gonna
              > honor their "upgrade promise" to include firewire
              > next year.
              >
              > As Ted mentioned, the Internet forums are invaluable
              > for further info!
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > -Mark in Morgan Hill
              >

              > At 09:02 PM 8/2/01, Ted Matsumura wrote:
              > >Joe,
              > > I'm not familiar with any of your gear except
              > for G., but I'll make some
              > >starting suggestions based on stuff that I know
              > works:
              > >
              > >Consider getting Dish network and a Dish 6000
              > receiver with OTA module.
              > >Consider getting a full AV receiver and 6 seperate
              > speakers. Take a look at
              > >Energy, NHT, or Paradigm.
              > >
              > >Check with your cable company if they offer any HD
              > programming compatible
              > >with your SR-HD5.
              > >
              > >Check on the avsforum.com or hometheaterspot.com
              > for specific vendor forums
              > >for your gear.
              > >
              > >Good luck!

              =====

            • Art Courville
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2001
                The Bose receiver has a single coax digital audio input. You will
                probably want something like the Audio Authority 1177, which will
                automatically switch among up to 4 digital inputs, either coax or
                optical. It costs about $120 and works great. There is another model
                which will also switch s-video, but I don't think there is an equivalent
                for component switching (at least in that price range).