Re: Advice Wanted: Digital TV Antenna & Antenna

  • Jonathan Lau
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2008
    • Don Hackler
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 31, 2008
        You probably don't need to go to a bunch of effort to pick up 7 and 12 in Oakland, but here's the type of antenna I would recommend for a bay area installation.   (I'm not suggesting this particular model or this particular dealer, it's just representative of the style..)

        The key to this antenna is that it is a high VHF and UHF combo that doesn't bother with low VHF.
        I think the medium gain yagi is better than the very high gain bowtie & bedspring antennas.

        It's not hugely directional, so aiming would not be as critical for the Sutro and San Bruno stations as the 4228 or 8800 models.  It may or may not work for receiving the Monument/Allison stations in Oakland with (or without) a rotator.  That really depends on the exact terrain issues at your location.

        On Dec 31, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:

        Looks like that antenna is discontinued.  Replaced with
        http://www.copperbox.com/Winegard-HD-8800-8-Bay-UHF-Prostar-1000-Antenna-p/hd-8800.htm ???

        How is that going to work on Channel 7.  I think people were saying that the ground needed to be larger for channel 7 and on this new one it is not a ground plane reflector but individual elements.

        Allen

        On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

        You shouldn't have any problems receiving the digital signals from Oakland, but I do recommend that you put the new antenna up on your roof to get the best results.  The antenna that seems to have received the most comments on how well it works is the Channel Master 4228.  I have two of them, and they work great for me.  You can find them at Frye's Electronics or at lots of stores on the internet.  The antenna should work for all the stations on Sutro Tower and Mt. San Bruno with it in one direction, but you probably won't get any of the other stations from the South Bay, Mt. Diablo or up north.  For those you'd need another antenna or you'll need a rotor.

        Splitting the signal will give you less at each TV, but there should be plenty of signal, so this should not be a problem.  For your set with the the ATSC tuner, you just need to connect the antenna and scan and you should be ready to go.  For the analog TVs you need to buy digital to analog converter boxes or you'll get nothing over the air after February 17th.

        On Dec 28, 2008, at 11:22 AM, JPizzle fo Shizzle wrote:

        Live in Oakland, 7 blocks east from Lake Merritt in the flat part.  3 unit house, 2 story.  2 story apt on the west side 30 feet away (between my roof and twin peaks).  My antenna type would be 'yellow uhf' according to antennaweb.org.

        1. What are the top 3 brands of antennas to receive DTV/HDTV?I
        2. If splitting the signal from antenna to 3 units, would there be a decrease in output?  If so, is there anything I can do to increase output?
        3. I have an HDTV w/ built in ATSC and QAM tuners other units only have analog TVs, are there special requirements I should have to get HDTV?  (I know other units need to get converters for their STV)

      • fanemec
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2009
          Also check out tvfool.com for your location. I'm very partial to the
          ChannelMaster 4228HD, especially if you need to put it inside an
          attic. It does have more gain than you likely need, but it has
          respectable gain on VHF-high. See the gain charts at:
          http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

          It's not the number of units but the number of loads. Some units are
          likely to have more than one TV or recorder. Allow for a distribution
          amplifier near the antenna, with a separate cable from each output to
          each unit, or even to each load. That's another reason to go with the
          CM 4228HD. You can use the antenna gain as a substitute for an
          amplifier and it'll probably work fine. The rooftop location is best
          for a clear location with less problem with multipath.

          If you can't find a compromise orientation that works adequately for
          all the channels you want, point one to Sutro and another toward the
          other stations and feed them into a combiner. If the two antennas are
          on the same mast, use identical feedlines from antennas to combiner.

          You didn't mention what you are using for TV now. If you get clear
          analog signals now, you might not need to change anything. How does
          your ATSC TV do now?

          A TV with an ATSC tuner is enough to receive live TV OTA (over the
          air), but as you said, any analog-only TV or recorder will need a DTV
          converter box, or replacement with a digital-ready TV.

          This is an opportune time for some to look into a TiVo HD instead of a
          converter, if you'd want a recorder anyway.
        • Jonathan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 11, 2009
            Hey Frank,

            Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. The house I share w/ 2 other
            units does not have an antenna at all, so I don't know what the
            reception is like; I was just on the roof yesterday and it appears the
            tip of a pine tree about 30-40 feet away is between us and sutro tower.
            I currently have an HDTV w/ built in ATSC. Other units have analog TVs,
            I'll let them know about the TiVO recorder in case they upgrade to HDTV.

            If you have an iPhone, do you know if there is an existing app that will
            point me to a location (sutro tower) from where I'm at so I can use it
            on the roof to point the antenna in the exact direction?

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "fanemec" <hdtv@...> wrote:

            > Also check out tvfool.com for your location. I'm very partial to the
            > ChannelMaster 4228HD, especially if you need to put it inside an
            > attic. It does have more gain than you likely need, but it has
            > respectable gain on VHF-high. See the gain charts at:
            > http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
            >
            > It's not the number of units but the number of loads. Some units are
            > likely to have more than one TV or recorder. Allow for a distribution
            > amplifier near the antenna, with a separate cable from each output to
            > each unit, or even to each load. That's another reason to go with the
            > CM 4228HD. You can use the antenna gain as a substitute for an
            > amplifier and it'll probably work fine. The rooftop location is best
            > for a clear location with less problem with multipath.
            >
            > If you can't find a compromise orientation that works adequately for
            > all the channels you want, point one to Sutro and another toward the
            > other stations and feed them into a combiner. If the two antennas are
            > on the same mast, use identical feedlines from antennas to combiner.
            >
            > You didn't mention what you are using for TV now. If you get clear
            > analog signals now, you might not need to change anything. How does
            > your ATSC TV do now?
            >
            > A TV with an ATSC tuner is enough to receive live TV OTA (over the
            > air), but as you said, any analog-only TV or recorder will need a DTV
            > converter box, or replacement with a digital-ready TV.
            >
            > This is an opportune time for some to look into a TiVo HD instead of a
            > converter, if you'd want a recorder anyway.

          • Link Perry
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 11, 2009
              TVfool give you the bearing in both magnetic (compass) and true. All you need is a compass. I'm not sure how an iPhone would work if you're stationary. Does it have built-in GPS, or does it triangulate from nearby cell phone tower locations?

              Link

              On 1/11/09, Jonathan <jdpadilla@...> wrote:
              Hey Frank,

              Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.  The house I share w/ 2 other
              units does not have an antenna at all, so I don't know what the
              reception is like; I was just on the roof yesterday and it appears the
              tip of a pine tree about 30-40 feet away is  between us and sutro tower.
              I currently have an HDTV w/ built in ATSC.  Other units have analog TVs,
              I'll let them know about the TiVO recorder in case they upgrade to HDTV.

              If you have an iPhone, do you know if there is an existing app that will
              point me to a location (sutro tower) from where I'm at so I can use it
              on the roof to point the antenna in the exact direction?

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "fanemec" <hdtv@...> wrote:

              > Also check out tvfool.com for your location.  I'm very partial to the
              > ChannelMaster 4228HD, especially if you need to put it inside an
              > attic.  It does have more gain than you likely need, but it has
              > respectable gain on VHF-high.  See the gain charts at:
              > http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
              >
              > It's not the number of units but the number of loads.  Some units are
              > likely to have more than one TV or recorder.  Allow for a distribution
              > amplifier near the antenna, with a separate cable from each output to
              > each unit, or even to each load.  That's another reason to go with the
              > CM 4228HD.  You can use the antenna gain as a substitute for an
              > amplifier and it'll probably work fine.  The rooftop location is best
              > for a clear location with less problem with multipath.
              >
              > If you can't find a compromise orientation that works adequately for
              > all the channels you want, point one to Sutro and another toward the
              > other stations and feed them into a combiner.  If the two antennas are
              > on the same mast, use identical feedlines from antennas to combiner.
              >
              > You didn't mention what you are using for TV now.  If you get clear
              > analog signals now, you might not need to change anything.  How does
              > your ATSC TV do now?
              >
              > A TV with an ATSC tuner is enough to receive live TV OTA (over the
              > air), but as you said, any analog-only TV or recorder will need a DTV
              > converter box, or replacement with a digital-ready TV.
              >
              > This is an opportune time for some to look into a TiVo HD instead of a
              > converter, if you'd want a recorder anyway.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:HDTV-in-SFbay-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:HDTV-in-SFbay-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Jonathan
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 11, 2009
                TV Fool  is awesome!  I know where I need to point the antenna based on the data provided and google maps on my iPhone (triangulation).  I'm going to double check w/ my neighbor who works for coast guard, he should have a compass.  Ya I should probably get one too.

                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Link Perry" <link.perry@...> wrote:

                > TVfool give you the bearing in both magnetic (compass) and true. All you
                > need is a compass. I'm not sure how an iPhone would work if you're
                > stationary. Does it have built-in GPS, or does it triangulate from nearby
                > cell phone tower locations?
                >
                > Link
                >
                > On 1/11/09, Jonathan jdpadilla@... wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey Frank,
                > >
                > > Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. The house I share w/ 2 other
                > > units does not have an antenna at all, so I don't know what the
                > > reception is like; I was just on the roof yesterday and it appears the
                > > tip of a pine tree about 30-40 feet away is between us and sutro tower.
                > > I currently have an HDTV w/ built in ATSC. Other units have analog TVs,
                > > I'll let them know about the TiVO recorder in case they upgrade to HDTV.
                > >
                > > If you have an iPhone, do you know if there is an existing app that will
                > > point me to a location (sutro tower) from where I'm at so I can use it
                > > on the roof to point the antenna in the exact direction?
                > >

                > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "fanemec" hdtv@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Also check out tvfool.com for your location. I'm very partial to the
                > > > ChannelMaster 4228HD, especially if you need to put it inside an
                > > > attic. It does have more gain than you likely need, but it has
                > > > respectable gain on VHF-high. See the gain charts at:
                > > > http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html
                > > >
                > > > It's not the number of units but the number of loads. Some units are
                > > > likely to have more than one TV or recorder. Allow for a distribution
                > > > amplifier near the antenna, with a separate cable from each output to
                > > > each unit, or even to each load. That's another reason to go with the
                > > > CM 4228HD. You can use the antenna gain as a substitute for an
                > > > amplifier and it'll probably work fine. The rooftop location is best
                > > > for a clear location with less problem with multipath.
                > > >
                > > > If you can't find a compromise orientation that works adequately for
                > > > all the channels you want, point one to Sutro and another toward the
                > > > other stations and feed them into a combiner. If the two antennas are
                > > > on the same mast, use identical feedlines from antennas to combiner.
                > > >
                > > > You didn't mention what you are using for TV now. If you get clear
                > > > analog signals now, you might not need to change anything. How does
                > > > your ATSC TV do now?
                > > >
                > > > A TV with an ATSC tuner is enough to receive live TV OTA (over the
                > > > air), but as you said, any analog-only TV or recorder will need a DTV
                > > > converter box, or replacement with a digital-ready TV.
                > > >
                > > > This is an opportune time for some to look into a TiVo HD instead of a
                > > > converter, if you'd want a recorder anyway.

              • Frank Nemec W6NJR
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 12, 2009
                  > I'll let them know about the TiVO recorder in case they upgrade to HDTV.
                  As long as their TV has an input for S-video, composite, component, or
                  HDMI, you can use the HD TiVo with that TV and get an excellent SD
                  quality presentation from a program transmitted and recorded in SD or HD.

                  The compass is a good bet. Or use Google Earth to plot a line from you
                  to Sutro Tower and look for landmarks that you can see from your roof
                  and aim that way. Also look at your neighboring antennas. Also have
                  someone watching a TV while you aim the antenna for best results on a
                  few channels. You might find a compromise position that works
                  satisfactorily for them and also for the few not on Sutro.

                  If the house doesn't have an antenna, what have y'all been using to
                  watch TV? Or are you planning to stop using satellite or cable?
                • Link Perry
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2009

                    The compass is a good bet.  Or use Google Earth to plot a line from you
                    to Sutro Tower and look for landmarks that you can see from your roof
                    and aim that way.  Also look at your neighboring antennas.  Also have
                    someone watching a TV while you aim the antenna for best results on a
                    few channels.  You might find a compromise position that works
                    satisfactorily for them and also for the few not on Sutro.

                    I wouldn't pay too much attention to the pointing directions of your neighbors' antennas. If it's anything like my neighborhood (West San Jose), there will be antennas pointing all over the place. Many are just leftovers from people who now have cable or satellite, and some may have been pointed at Loma Prieta instead of Sutro.