Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Antenna Choice and Location for Mid Peninsula

  • Allen Edwards
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 30, 2008
      I am in Palo Alto and offer some observations. I have an 8' piece of
      rigid conduit mounted on a router that is not used other than as a
      mount. A chimney mount would be much more secure. It has been there
      for over 20 years with 4 antennas on it. Two are very large VHF/UHF
      antennas, one is a UHF and one a omni FM.

      The UHF antenna is pointed south east but I don't use it as 9.2 is a
      re-broadcast of the only station I want over there.

      The second VHF/UHF antenna is left over from when channel 12 was in
      San Jose. I don't use that either.

      While I have a rotor, I don't use it either. It is a pain. Think of
      channel surfing with a rotor. Get a second antenna. A rotor is good
      for ham radio when you might want to transmit in any random direction.
      In your case, you just want two fixed locations so get two antennas.

      Trees matter so avoid them if you can. They matter more in the rain.
      If you have to look through a tree, it should still work.

      If you have trouble, get a preamp.

      Allen

    • Richard Swank
      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 13, 2008

        The broadcast antennas are physically vertical looking but they transmit in the horizontal plane.  All television stations are licensed to operate at their power in the horizontal plane if there is a vertical element that doesn’t count in operational power.  KNTV will replace the old top mount ch-11 antenna with a new ch-12 top mount antenna sometime in 2009 I believe (we will then have a main and standby antenna capable of 100% power operation) and when completed we will have the ability to have a 100% power in the vertical plane as well as the horizontal plane.  It is planned to operate that way as there are many indoor antenna users in the bay area (especially in SF) and to this point no one builds a good indoor VHF antenna.  By the way we currently operate at 25% vertical.