RE: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: FS: Channel Master 4228

  • Ted Matsumura
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 27, 2001
      Nah, we don't have any good installers around here. Andersons charged me
      $400 and screwed up. Radio Shack contractor came and also did a half assed
      job.

      I've actually got a new CM for free, it's just not big enough for fringes.
      I have Radio Shack's 2nd to largest on the roof now, but will go with a CM
      if it's bigger, and someone knows how to install it.

      Ted

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 27, 2001
        Ted Matsumura wrote:

        > Nah, we don't have any good installers around here. Andersons charged me
        > $400 and screwed up. Radio Shack contractor came and also did a half assed
        > job.
        >
        > I've actually got a new CM for free, it's just not big enough for fringes.
        > I have Radio Shack's 2nd to largest on the roof now, but will go with a CM
        > if it's bigger, and someone knows how to install it.

        Do you have a chimney?? Nothing could be easier than the radio shack
        chimney mount. I used it for the CM 4251, but also needed to use guy
        wires to keep it from getting blown over in the wind. The 4248 or 4228
        however, could likely be mounted with the chimney mount and no
        guywires. This is a very easy job.

        Chris
      • Ted Matsumura
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 27, 2001
          Interesting question, the Andersons guys (yes 2 people) who put up my first
          Channel Master (forget the #, but it wasn't a big one, and is available for
          free to anyone who wants to pick up, still in box) installed the medium size
          unit by anchoring to chimney AND with guy wires.

          It wasn't big enough, so I ordered the Radio Shack super 160" 2nd to largest
          monster unit, and paid the store ~ $100 to mount. Their guy mounted it to
          the chimney with a solid silver band, and when the guy was done, I asked if
          he was going to use guy wires, as it was a windy day, and the tips/ends of
          the antenna were moving. He said the guy wires weren't necessary, and were
          not a part of the basic install.

          So I guess they weren't needed for safety, but it would add peace of mind
          knowing the sucker is anchored should some big winds come.

          I can install it myself, and probably should, it's just a major pain, last
          time I had FRS radios with my wife, but the response time of the DISH 6000
          OTA module was a few seconds off, and would freeze every 10 minutes. Maybe
          since we're a few releases down the road it is time to try again, or take
          the receiver and a 13" tv up with me on the roof.

          > Nah, we don't have any good installers around here. Andersons charged me
          > $400 and screwed up. Radio Shack contractor came and also did a half
          assed
          > job.
          >
          > I've actually got a new CM for free, it's just not big enough for fringes.
          > I have Radio Shack's 2nd to largest on the roof now, but will go with a CM
          > if it's bigger, and someone knows how to install it.

          Do you have a chimney?? Nothing could be easier than the radio shack
          chimney mount. I used it for the CM 4251, but also needed to use guy
          wires to keep it from getting blown over in the wind. The 4248 or 4228
          however, could likely be mounted with the chimney mount and no
          guywires. This is a very easy job.

          Chris

        • R8der
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 28, 2001
            Ted Matsumura wrote:

            > I can install it myself, and probably should, it's just a major pain, last
            > time I had FRS radios with my wife, but the response time of the DISH 6000
            > OTA module was a few seconds off, and would freeze every 10 minutes. Maybe
            > since we're a few releases down the road it is time to try again, or take
            > the receiver and a 13" tv up with me on the roof.

            Are you implying you don't have a rotor?? If not, you NEED a rotor!

            Chris
          • Ted Matsumura
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 28, 2001
              Chris,
              I don't have a rotor. What brand and model is good? Whatever it is, it
              would need to have super fine accuracy, since I can blow on the position and
              be on or off signal. Thanks.

              Ted

              > I can install it myself, and probably should, it's just a major pain, last
              > time I had FRS radios with my wife, but the response time of the DISH 6000
              > OTA module was a few seconds off, and would freeze every 10 minutes.
              Maybe
              > since we're a few releases down the road it is time to try again, or take
              > the receiver and a 13" tv up with me on the roof.

              Are you implying you don't have a rotor?? If not, you NEED a rotor!

              Chris

            • Mark Del Secco
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 28, 2001
                At 09:41 AM 7/28/01, Ted Matsumura wrote:
                > I don't have a rotor. What brand and model is good? Whatever it is, it
                >would need to have super fine accuracy, since I can blow on the position and
                >be on or off signal. Thanks.

                Geeze Ted, how have you been able to get by without a rotor? :-)
                I've got the CM 9510.....works great and seems to be very accurate.

                -Mark in Morgan Hill
              • Ted Matsumura
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 28, 2001
                  Hi Mark,
                  Well I'm not that interested in KICU which I barely get, so I thought my
                  main source of signal for OTA HD was Sutro here in Sunnyvale/Cupt. So I
                  thought I could aim once and bolt it down tight, but I guess I need to get a
                  rotor.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 28, 2001
                    At 01:33 PM 7/28/01, Ted Matsumura wrote:
                    >Hi Mark,
                    > Well I'm not that interested in KICU which I barely get, so I thought my
                    >main source of signal for OTA HD was Sutro here in Sunnyvale/Cupt. So I
                    >thought I could aim once and bolt it down tight, but I guess I need to get a
                    >rotor.

                    Currently, I rarely have to rotate my antenna since
                    most of my stations originate from Sutro too. But when
                    KNTV (San Jose) acquires the NBC feed in January, I imagine
                    I'll need to rotate away from Sutro.

                    -Mark in Morgan Hill