Re: OTA Networks, Eastern feed on -2 -3 etc. ????

  • red2grass
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008
      Few people build their own DVRs, but much larger portion of the
      population are using TIVOs, DVRs from comcast or directv. More than
      half of the my coworkers are using DVRs. I work for a high tech
      company though.

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jim Peters <jim-peters@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm ... I wonder how many people have built their own PC-based HD
      DVR ... 0.001% of the nation's population? Maybe?

      > :)
      >
      > +J
      >
      > On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM, red2grass <red2grass@...> wrote:

      > You are too optimistic for the transition to internet
      TV. Broadcast TV

      > probably won't go away in 10 years. I won't be surprised it lasts
      >
      > another 50 years given the speed of this country adopts technology.
      >
      > Even if the broadcast TV goes away sooner, it won't be killed by
      >
      > Internet TV but more likely be killed by DVRs. Ever since I built my
      >
      > PC based HD DVR, I don't know what TV commercials are going on
      >
      > anymore. If enough people are like me, how do broadcast TV stations
      >
      > make money?
      >

      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Sayer" <nsayer@> wrote:
      >

      > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBC
      >
      > Universal, KNTV)"
      >
      > > <Richard.Swank@> wrote:
      >

      > > > I do not know of anyone doing this. Revenue and viewer base is my
      >
      > guess
      >
      > > > why its not and why there is a delay in the first place. Live
      >
      > sporting
      >
      > > > events (NFL, PGA and some others) are primarily the only events not
      >
      > > > delayed from EST to PST. Actually the DNC and RNC are not being
      >
      > delayed
      >
      > > > either as far as I can tell.
      >

      > > I remember visiting TechTV's studios a while ago for a taping of The
      >
      > Screen Savers. They
      >
      > > mentioned that pretty much all the clocks that weren't visible on
      >
      > camera were set to
      >
      > > Eastern time. This is because it's the sort of de-facto time zone
      >
      > for the industry.
      >
      > > Harkening back to my time a long time ago at KUOP-FM, it was
      >
      > certainly true where the
      >
      > > satellites were concerned. And, of course, growing up, every
      >
      > non-sporting event that was
      >
      > > "live" was always tape delayed for the west coast (awards shows,
      >
      > more recently reality
      >
      > > show finale episodes, American Idol, etc, etc).
      >

      > > I actually see DVRs, the digital TV changeover and moore's law's
      >
      > Internet bandwidth corollary as harbingers of a rapidly approaching
      >
      > transition to Internet TV delivery. I think
      >
      > > DTV will only be with us for about 10 years before it's obsolete. By
      >
      > then, the idea of a 20
      >
      > > megabit Internet connection to the home won't be unusual (today such
      >
      > connections not
      >
      > > only exist, but in some countries, they're the norm), and that's
      >
      > about as much bandwidth
      >
      > > as an ATSC channel carries. The 300 MHz of remaining TV bandwidth
      >
      > will likely wind up
      >
      > > being turned into more mobile device internet bandwidth and we'll
      >
      > download our favorite
      >
      > > TV shows. In that universe, "schedule" will merely refer to the
      >
      > first availability of a show,
      >
      > > not an appointment for viewing.
      >

      > > Of course, this will be tremendously democratizing for media, just
      >
      > as YouTube has shown.
      >
      > > Lewis Black's joke about showing pilots to rooms filled with monkeys
      >
      > won't fly anymore.
      >
      > > Got a pilot? Throw it on the net. The world is your test audience.

    • bill weber
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
        Everybody is right. I just downloaded all the 'Middleman' series off the internet and watched the latest episode on an ABC family virtual staion. And that is how the change over goes. But OTA will never go away. I say that as tv is a pacifier for the working man that just wants to go to work and come home. Our economy is based on these ppls not creating a rebellion. I feel pacified.

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

          The Networks do not allow this because of the residuals involved.  A station is generally only allowed one play of a Network program, not two plays.

          By residuals I mean the payments to members of the Writer's Guild, the Screen Actors Guild, etc.

          There would also be an issue with some of the commercials being run twice which would kick in a double billing for sponsors in some cases, and the fact that some of the commercials are different on the East and West coast.

          LopakaBob

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
            Yep, can you just see some housewife on the west coast looking for
            Hellman's Mayonnaise! It's Best Foods on this side of the continent.