Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: OTA Networks, Eastern feed on -2 -3 etc. ????

  • Jim Peters
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008

      Hmmm ... I wonder how many people have built their own PC-based HD DVR ... 0.001% of the nation's population? Maybe?

      :)

      +J

      On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM, red2grass <red2grass@...> wrote:
      You are too optimistic for the transition to internet TV. Broadcast TV
      probably won't go away in 10 years. I won't be surprised it lasts
      another 50 years given the speed of this country adopts technology.
      Even if the broadcast TV goes away sooner, it won't be killed by
      Internet TV but more likely be killed by DVRs. Ever since I built my
      PC based HD DVR, I don't know what TV commercials are going on
      anymore. If enough people are like me, how do broadcast TV stations
      make money?

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Sayer" <nsayer@...> wrote:

      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Swank, Richard (NBC
      Universal, KNTV)"
      > <Richard.Swank@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I do not know of anyone doing this. Revenue and viewer base is my
      guess
      > > why its not and why there is a delay in the first place. Live
      sporting
      > > events (NFL, PGA and some others) are primarily the only events not
      > > delayed from EST to PST. Actually the DNC and RNC are not being
      delayed
      > > either as far as I can tell.
      > >

      > I remember visiting TechTV's studios a while ago for a taping of The
      Screen Savers. They
      > mentioned that pretty much all the clocks that weren't visible on
      camera were set to
      > Eastern time. This is because it's the sort of de-facto time zone
      for the industry.
      > Harkening back to my time a long time ago at KUOP-FM, it was
      certainly true where the
      > satellites were concerned. And, of course, growing up, every
      non-sporting event that was
      > "live" was always tape delayed for the west coast (awards shows,
      more recently reality
      > show finale episodes, American Idol, etc, etc).
      >
      > I actually see DVRs, the digital TV changeover and moore's law's
      Internet bandwidth corollary as harbingers of a rapidly approaching
      transition to Internet TV delivery. I think
      > DTV will only be with us for about 10 years before it's obsolete. By
      then, the idea of a 20
      > megabit Internet connection to the home won't be unusual (today such
      connections not
      > only exist, but in some countries, they're the norm), and that's
      about as much bandwidth
      > as an ATSC channel carries. The 300 MHz of remaining TV bandwidth
      will likely wind up
      > being turned into more mobile device internet bandwidth and we'll
      download our favorite
      > TV shows. In that universe, "schedule" will merely refer to the
      first availability of a show,
      > not an appointment for viewing.
      >
      > Of course, this will be tremendously democratizing for media, just
      as YouTube has shown.
      > Lewis Black's joke about showing pilots to rooms filled with monkeys
      won't fly anymore.
      > Got a pilot? Throw it on the net. The world is your test audience.

    • red2grass
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008
        Few people build their own DVRs, but much larger portion of the
        population are using TIVOs, DVRs from comcast or directv. More than
        half of the my coworkers are using DVRs. I work for a high tech
        company though.

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Jim Peters <jim-peters@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > then, the idea of a 20
        >
        > > megabit Internet connection to the home won't be unusual (today such
        >
        > connections not
        >
        > > only exist, but in some countries, they're the norm), and that's
        >
        > about as much bandwidth
        >
        > > as an ATSC channel carries. The 300 MHz of remaining TV bandwidth
        >
        > will likely wind up
        >
        > > being turned into more mobile device internet bandwidth and we'll
        >
        > download our favorite
        >
        > > TV shows. In that universe, "schedule" will merely refer to the
        >
        > first availability of a show,
        >
        > > not an appointment for viewing.
        >

        > > Of course, this will be tremendously democratizing for media, just
        >
        > as YouTube has shown.
        >
        > > Lewis Black's joke about showing pilots to rooms filled with monkeys
        >
        > won't fly anymore.
        >
        > > Got a pilot? Throw it on the net. The world is your test audience.

      • bill weber
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
          Everybody is right. I just downloaded all the 'Middleman' series off the internet and watched the latest episode on an ABC family virtual staion. And that is how the change over goes. But OTA will never go away. I say that as tv is a pacifier for the working man that just wants to go to work and come home. Our economy is based on these ppls not creating a rebellion. I feel pacified.

        • Bob
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

            The Networks do not allow this because of the residuals involved.  A station is generally only allowed one play of a Network program, not two plays.

            By residuals I mean the payments to members of the Writer's Guild, the Screen Actors Guild, etc.

            There would also be an issue with some of the commercials being run twice which would kick in a double billing for sponsors in some cases, and the fact that some of the commercials are different on the East and West coast.

            LopakaBob

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
              Yep, can you just see some housewife on the west coast looking for
              Hellman's Mayonnaise! It's Best Foods on this side of the continent.