Great site for TV channel lists - tvfool.com

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
      tvfool.com - When you see that address mentioned, images of some TV
      fanatic might come to mind. That might be so, as the owner spends a
      lot of his time on TV signal evaluation, and keeps his database very
      current and up to date. The site offers an abundance of information
      for you, the TV viewer, who watches OTA TV. If you haven't checked
      out the site, you might want to do so.

      It offers a very complete and up to date listing of stations
      available at your specific location... much better than
      antennaweb.org. Not only does it list all of the stations you should
      receive (both analog and digital), but also stations that you might
      get, ones that are further away from you. It gives the station call
      sign, real and virtual channel, network, transmitter power, the
      strength of signal you should receive from each station, how many
      hills or mountains (edges) the signal will encounter, and the
      distance of each transmitter, and the direction of the transmitter
      from your location.

      A complete explanation of each item is given under "TV Signal
      Analysis Results".

      You can get lists for both pre-transition and post-transition
      (February 17, 2009) situations, too.

      He also offers TV Coverage Maps, using Google Earth, and the location
      of all the transmitters.

      You might also find an article written by the owner of TV Fool to be
      of interest. It's titled "The Analog Shutdown, for Better or for
      Worse". There's a link to it under "Latest Articles" in the upper
      right of the main page.

      http://www.tvfool.com - check it out for lots of great, useful
      information. I've found the results given for my home to be very
      reliable and quite accurate.

    • Link Perry
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
        Great post.

        I just ran into an interesting site that could help with picking an antenna for receiving TV in your area. Its produced by Winegard, so it's slanted toward their antennas, but I found it helpful nonetheless. You enter your address and it produces a list of stations viewable from there, along with a Google map and a list of required antenna gain for each station. It also recommends an antenna for each group of stations in the area (a Winegard model of course), sorted by distance.

        For my area (West San Jose near Cupertino) it recommended a Winegard GS-2200

             http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=ANWGS2200

        which seemed a bit marginal to me, but who knows. Personally, I'd tend to be a bit more pessimistic and go for a more powerful model.

        The site is at:

            http://ota.winegarddirect.com/

        (For some reason, the map wasn't showing up for Bay Area addresses, but it worked OK for other areas).

        I have no involvement with Winegard, just thought it was another useful tool.

        Link

        On 6/3/08, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

        tvfool.com - When you see that address mentioned, images of some TV
        fanatic might come to mind. That might be so, as the owner spends a
        lot of his time on TV signal evaluation, and keeps his database very
        current and up to date. The site offers an abundance of information
        for you, the TV viewer, who watches OTA TV. If you haven't checked
        out the site, you might want to do so.

        <snip>
      • scottc6666
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Link Perry" <link.perry@...>
          wrote:

          <snip>

          Thanks for link. I've been using a Winegard antenna for almost 25 years
          here in Evergreen and I've never had any reception difficulties for OTA
          HDTV and I get everything that Sutro and San Bruno have to offer.

          Scott