sutro down?

  • Bill Bliss
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1 11:23 AM
      Is the sutro digital transmission off the air again? I'm only
      getting 36, 54 and 65.
      Bill
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1 11:47 AM

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bliss <bbliss@...> wrote:

        > Is the sutro digital transmission off the air again? I'm only getting 36, 54 and 65.
        > Bill

        Yes, the Digital TV transmitters were turned off at 9am for Tower maintanance.  They are coming back on as I write this at 11:45am

        LopakaBob

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1 12:02 PM
          With all of the upcoming antenna and transmitter work ahead in preparation for the end of analog broadcasting on 2-17-09, the digital transmitters will most likely be off the air frequently during the coming months.  With so many viewers now watching digital, a lot of people will be losing service and wondering what's going on, just like Bill did today.

          It would be nice, and a great service to the public, if Sutro Tower management put up a web site showing the status of transmissions from the tower along with advanced postings of projections of off times.  Also a posting to this group would also be a nice idea.  Are there any TV station personnel reading this who are in a position to propose this to Sutro management?

          On Feb 1, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Bill Bliss wrote:

          Is the sutro digital transmission off the air again? I'm only
          getting 36, 54 and 65.
          Bill

        • captgrail
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1 11:34 PM
            Hey, I lost at least 2, 5, 7 and 9 this morning around 9 am. I
            checked the site and didn't see any messages. I even called channel 2
            and 5 - no info (actually channel 2 didn't even answer the main
            number they list under the web link "contact us"!) With all the rain
            I thought it might be my antenna. I took it down to check it out,
            two hours later I gave up messing around with it. Back home tonight
            I see your posts but I'll have to wait until morning to put it back
            up again. Only 11 comes in tonight.

            Is there a place where one can get reliable information about status
            for the transmitters? You'd think the stations could inform people
            before hand especially since this is planned or st provide a site to
            get real-time status. Your message, much appreciated, was posted
            almost three hours after the fact, a little too late for me
            unfortunately ;-(
            Thanks for any info.

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@...> wrote:

            > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bliss <bbliss@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is the sutro digital transmission off the air again? I'm only
            getting
            > 36, 54 and 65.
            > > Bill
            > >
            > Yes, the Digital TV transmitters were turned off at 9am for Tower
            > maintanance. They are coming back on as I write this at 11:45am
            >
            > LopakaBob

          • Don Hackler
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2 12:05 AM
              The stations often don't get a lot of warning. Sometimes we get a
              notice the day before,
              but plans often change if weather does or doesn't permit the planned
              tower work.

              In an emergency, the stations can be shut down automatically, without
              any notice.

              This mailing list usually has the most up to date information publicly
              available.

              - Don

              captgrail wrote:
              > Hey, I lost at least 2, 5, 7 and 9 this morning around 9 am. I
              > checked the site and didn't see any messages. I even called channel 2
              > and 5 - no info (actually channel 2 didn't even answer the main
              > number they list under the web link "contact us"!) With all the rain
              > I thought it might be my antenna. I took it down to check it out,
              > two hours later I gave up messing around with it. Back home tonight
              > I see your posts but I'll have to wait until morning to put it back
              > up again. Only 11 comes in tonight.
              >
              > Is there a place where one can get reliable information about status
              > for the transmitters? You'd think the stations could inform people
              > before hand especially since this is planned or st provide a site to
              > get real-time status. Your message, much appreciated, was posted
              > almost three hours after the fact, a little too late for me
              > unfortunately ;-(
              > Thanks for any info.
              >

              > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <Lopakabob@...> wrote:
              >

              >> --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Bill Bliss <bbliss@> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Is the sutro digital transmission off the air again? I'm only
              >>>
              > getting
              >
              >> 36, 54 and 65.
              >>
              >>> Bill
              >>>

              >> Yes, the Digital TV transmitters were turned off at 9am for Tower
              >> maintanance. They are coming back on as I write this at 11:45am
              >>
              >> LopakaBob

            • captgrail
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3 1:16 AM
                Thanks for your reply Don,

                Looks like an opportunity exists for figuring this out before
                everyone is depending on the signal in '09. This could be an
                annoyance or potentialy a public security issue.

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3 7:04 AM
                  --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "captgrail" <captgrail@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for your reply Don,
                  >
                  > Looks like an opportunity exists for figuring this out before
                  > everyone is depending on the signal in '09. This could be an
                  > annoyance or potentialy a public security issue.

                  In 2009, after the transition, there will be back up transmitters for
                  the digital signals. We don't have that today because there is no
                  room for the duplication. Once analog goes away, there will be room.
                  No security problem at all....
                • Leo G. Divinagracia III
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4 10:27 AM
                    isnt sutro is owned by cbs, right? not a public entity....

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 4 12:14 PM
                      Sutro Tower, Inc. is owned by Cox, Young, CBS/Viacom and ABC/Disney.  Whoever owns channels 2, 4, 5, and 7 own Sutro.   The original owners of the four stations formed the corporation when the tower was built back in the '70's.  They hire a manager to run the site, and Gene Zastro has been the manager for many years.