Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: Help in 95129 - west san jose

  • Dave Brown
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2008
      If interested in the CM4228, it is on sale at Fry's today for $50.

      Dave

    • dragontaiwai
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008
        Thanks for all the info guys.

        Right now the outdoor antenna I'm using is a really old one that came
        with the house so it's probably 30+ years old. It doesn't even use a
        coax cable but those old school ones with the two prongs (I've
        forgotten what they are called). I had to get a adapter for it.
        Anyways, the channels I've been able to get are:
        7 - really clear
        3 - depends on the conditions but at best is snowy with slight ghosting
        2 - can hear the sound most of the time but the picture is no good
        4 - depends on the conditions but at best is snowy with slight ghosting
        9 - very slight ghosting and snow but watchable
        11 - moderate ghosting and snow

        It seems that this old antenna can only get vhf signals so I'm trying
        for a new antenna that can get more channels, like the CW, with better
        picture quality.

        On a side note, we used to have cable (we've canceled cable for about
        5 years now) so there are coax cables already installed into the walls
        of the house by the cable company. Do you think it's possible to
        disconnect the cable company's coax coming in and hook up the coax
        from the antenna? This way you could hook up a tv to the coax coming
        out of the wall and it would get the signal from the antenna instead
        of completely rewiring everything for the antenna.

        Again, thanks for all the info.
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2008

          On Feb 1, 2008, at 12:18 PM, dragontaiwai wrote:

          Right now the outdoor antenna I'm using is a really old one that came
          with the house so it's probably 30+ years old.

          ...snowy with slight ghosting, picture is no good, at best is snowy with slight ghosting, very slight ghosting and snow but watchable, moderate ghosting and snow

          It seems that this old antenna can only get vhf signals

          Without a doubt, you need a new antenna!  Most of the digital stations are on UHF and snowy and ghosty analog signals usually means no picture for digital.  I'd go along with Redgrass's recommendation of the Channel Master 4228 and Winegard YA-1713 with a Channel Master 7777 preamp to connect them together for the ultimate arrangement, but just the 4228 might be good enough for you.  I know a lot of people who just use the 4228 and have had good success.  Go grab one quick while they're on sale at Fryes!

          The coax in your walls should be okay for handling the signal from your antenna.  Sure will make your connections a lot easier.

        • gp4rts
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2008
            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "dragontaiwai"
            <dragontaiwai@...> wrote:

            > On a side note, we used to have cable (we've canceled cable for about
            > 5 years now) so there are coax cables already installed into the walls
            > of the house by the cable company. Do you think it's possible to
            > disconnect the cable company's coax coming in and hook up the coax
            > from the antenna? This way you could hook up a tv to the coax coming
            > out of the wall and it would get the signal from the antenna instead
            > of completely rewiring everything for the antenna.
            >
            > Again, thanks for all the info.

            I did exactly that when I installed my antenna several years ago.
            Cable TV used to have two cables A and B. When the switched to a
            single cable I used the "B" cable for my antenna connection. Works
            fine. If you have a long run from antenna to your set (more than
            100') you might want to consider an antenna-mounted amplifier.
          • jwpottberg
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2008
              FYI, tried on Friday to buy that antenna, the sale ended Thursday.
              (Sale price was $50, regular price $70). Will wait for next sale :)

              Jim

              --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:

              >.... Go grab one [4228]
              > quick while they're on sale at Frys!

            • dragontaiwai
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 8, 2008
                --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:
                Without a doubt, you need a new antenna! Most of the digital
                > stations are on UHF and snowy and ghosty analog signals usually means
                > no picture for digital. I'd go along with Redgrass's recommendation
                > of the Channel Master 4228 and Winegard YA-1713 with a Channel Master
                > 7777 preamp to connect them together for the ultimate arrangement,
                > Larry
                > SF

                Thanks for all the help. I'm definitely going to get some new
                equipment this weekend. This may be a stupid question but I need to
                ask anyways. Where in this area can I buy a Channel Master 7777? I ask
                because I've searched the Fry's in Sunnyvale and the one on Brokaw but
                both have little to no selection for preamp's. The same is said for a
                couple Radioshacks in Saratoga and San Jose.

                I'd really like to get everything set up this weekend so I'm trying to
                avoid the online route (so I don't have to wait for shipping).
              • dragontaiwai
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
                  It's been a while but I thought I should give an update on my antenna
                  status for anyone who cares.

                  I finally got the channel master 4228, 7777, and channel master 3018.
                  I got the 3018 because I stupidly ignored advice and sure enough it
                  didn't work. Well, I got channels 2 to 11 (remember, my tv's are all
                  analog right now) ok but nothing else with it using the 7777 preamp.

                  I ended up getting the 4228 and setting it on my pole as such: 4228 on
                  top, 3018 next, and the 7777 at the bottom. It took about all day.
                  Imagine my disappointment when I still can't get more channels and
                  channels 2-11 are worse. I think it is because the 3018's height has
                  been lowered (in order to make room for the 4228).

                  I'm kind of surprised that the 4228 isn't working for me (and yes I
                  did remember to set the switch in the 7777 for separate inputs). I
                  have two theories for why this is so and I'd like to bounce it off of
                  you if you're interested.

                  One theory is that the antennas are too close together on the pole
                  height wise and are somehow interfering with each other. I don't know
                  much about how antennas work but I feel like this might be far fetched
                  but I want to see what others think.

                  The other more plausible theory is that the height level of the
                  antennas are too short and I need to add more height in order to get a
                  better reception, or any reception. Right now I'm using a channel
                  master 1620 that I got from the Fry's on Brokaw. It's supposed to be
                  20ft but when I measured it today, it was 10. I think I was supposed
                  to get two poles and put them together. I'll have to go back to Fry's
                  sometime to figure it out. I think this might be the major problem for
                  me because there was a noticeable difference in reception when I
                  lowered the 3018 by about 2 feet. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

                  Sincerely,
                  95129 guy in trouble
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4, 2008
                    Hey 93129 guy...

                    Sorry to say, you've got double trouble.

                    Your first problem is the height of the antennas.  You've got to get them up above the trees and the surrounding buildings to get decent reception.  The best place for your antenna is on top of your roof.  Second best is in your attic.  You'll be amazed what the height will do for you.  The old saying goes... "put it as high as you can".  The higher the antennas are, the better your signals will be.

                    Your second problem, as you thought, is your antennas are probably too close together and are detuning each other.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need at least three feet between antennas so that they don't affect each other... and that's not from where they're mounted but from the bottom of one to the top of the other.

                    Good luck.  Let us know what you do to solve your problem.

                    On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:17 PM, dragontaiwai wrote:

[...]

                  • bill weber
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 4, 2008
                      loved the fact channel 7 lost the online electronic programming guide this last week. I feel for phone takers at the stations....i kept my mouth closed. I'm seeing in the early gov $40 coupon boxes are very forgiving.

                      To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com