Re: 2009's Switch To Digital

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2007
      The FCC has ruled that cable systems must provide an analog signal for three years after the OTA analog shut down on February 17, 2009.  As Richard said, the two satellite systems are already using digital feeds and converting them in the receivers.

      All of the cable systems and satellite systems will have to change the source for the local channels as the present ones will be going away.  According to a recent Charley Chat on Dish Network, they will have all local channels converted over to the digital channel signals long before the analog shut down.  Customers don't have to worry about a thing, he said.

      Many of the cable services are already providing HD feeds.  They don't have to turn off the analog, but I suspect that they will somewhere down the line.

      My only question is what will the local digital stations look like on analog TVs?  Take KPIX for example.  There will only be one choice, KPIX-DT on channel 29.  When they transmit a program in HD, will the sides be missing or will the cable and satellite companies switch to a letterboxed format for analog?  Time will tell on that.  Will cable and satellite systems be carrying sub-channels, like 7.2, 7.3, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4, 9.5, 11.2, etc?   All of those are being carried by Comcast now.

      About a year from now, TV viewing is going to get quite interesting as the cable and satellite systems make changes, as stations prepare to go all digital, as stations move to new channels, etc.  As they say, "stay tuned".

      I wonder when KPIX and KNTV are going to go HD with their local newscasts?

      On Dec 31, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Richard Tidd wrote:

      I think they will be keeping analog OTA TV for a while via down
      converting the DTV feeds for those customers that do not have a
      digital package.

      Dish & Direct TV do not have to do anything.

      Richard

    • rswank@peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        KNTV is probably going to do studio HD before 2008 is over. NBC is sometime slow to move but usually does a good job when they do.