Do we still need a VHF antenna after Feb 17 2009?

  • luenlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
      Do we still need a VHF (as well as UHF) antenna after Feb 17 2009 to
      receive OTA channels?

      According to this site:

      http://www.choisser.com/channels.html

      After that date, KNTV is assigned to channel 12:

      12 KNTV San Jose Mt. San Bruno 103 1237

      If I understand correctly, channel 12 is a VHF channel (205.25–209.75
      MHz: TV channel 12 from wiki). Is the answer then a yes to my question?

      Regards,
      Luen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
        On Dec 4, 2007, at 3:25 PM, luenlin wrote:

        Do we still need a VHF (as well as UHF) antenna after Feb 17 2009 to
        receive OTA channels?

        According to this site:

        http://www.choisser .com/channels. html

        After that date, KNTV is assigned to channel 12:

        12 KNTV San Jose Mt. San Bruno 103 1237

        If I understand correctly, channel 12 is a VHF channel (205.25–209.75
        MHz: TV channel 12 from wiki). Is the answer then a yes to my question?

        Regards,
        Luen

        Yes, you will still need a VHF antenna, or a UHF antenna, like the Channel Master 4228, that will receive the higher VHF channels.  After the analog shut down, KGO-DT will move from channel 24 to channel 7, a new San Francisco low powered station will be on channel 8, and, as you said, KNTV will be on channel 12.  In the Sacramento-Merced area there will be stations on channels 9, 10 and 11, and in the Monterey-Salinas market there will be stations on channels 8 and 13.

        There's no need to worry about the low VHF channels, 2 to 6.  There will only be ONE station in this band in the entire state of California, channel 3 in Eureka, after the analog shutdown.

      • Don Hackler
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
          After the transition, there will be channels 7 and 12; both are VHF.