Re: need assistance moving and calibrating

  • h_d_t_v
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
      I highly recommend Dave Saxby at Ultimate HD (www.ultimatehd.com).

      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "mhensley_sj" <mhensley25@...>
      wrote:

      > Greets everyone,
      > I haven't been on this board in a while, but I need some assistance
      and
      > I thought this would be a place to find it.
      >
      > I have a 65" Mitsubishi RPTV that I need to *carefully* move from a
      > house across the street and then get it calibrated. I thought
      > Anderson's might do it, but the guy I talked to not only said they
      > don't do that kind of thing, I felt he was actually a little rude
      about
      > it.
      >
      > Anyone have any leads on someone that could be hired for this? I
      can
      > do a pretty good calibration on my own, but seeing as how it's an
      > across-the-street move, I'm thinking it could potentially need some
      > serious tweaking after it gets here.
      >
      > Please email me if you know of any leads.
      >
      > Thanks

    • Jan Mountjoy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
        This topic inspires me to ask: why do RPTV's need to be calibrated?  Is this true of current model Sony RP TVs, for example.?  Why do I ask?  Because we are thinking of purchasing the KDS 50A3000, a 50" rear projection model, and I was considering making an out of state purchase to avoid the California Sales Tax (!).  Would hate to have to lose those savings by paying someone for calibrating the TV.

        Jan

        wrote:

        > Greets everyone,
        > I haven't been on this board in a while, but I need some assistance
        and
        > I thought this would be a place to find it.
        >
        > I have a 65" Mitsubishi RPTV that I need to *carefully* move from a
        > house across the street and then get it calibrated. I thought
        > Anderson's might do it, but the guy I talked to not only said they
        > don't do that kind of thing, I felt he was actually a little rude
        about
        > it.
        >
        > Anyone have any leads on someone that could be hired for this? I
        can
        > do a pretty good calibration on my own, but seeing as how it's an
        > across-the-street move, I'm thinking it could potentially need some
        > serious tweaking after it gets here.
        >
        > Please email me if you know of any leads.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Kevin Isacks
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007

          Jan

          Only the old CRT RPTV’s have to be calibrated when you move them because the earth’s magnetic field interfered with them. The convergence and focus will drift when you move them.

          Modern digital LCOS, LCD and DLP RPTV’s don’t need to calibrated when you move them. Calibration is a good idea to get the color and grayscale accurate on LCS, LCOS and DLP’s but no need to worry about focus and convergence changes.

          Kevin

          wrote:

          > Greets everyone,
          > I haven't been on this board in a while, but I need some assistance
          and
          > I thought this would be a place to find it.
          >
          > I have a 65" Mitsubishi RPTV that I need to *carefully* move from a
          > house across the street and then get it calibrated. I thought
          > Anderson's might do it, but the guy I talked to not only said they
          > don't do that kind of thing, I felt he was actually a little rude
          about
          > it.
          >
          > Anyone have any leads on someone that could be hired for this? I
          can
          > do a pretty good calibration on my own, but seeing as how it's an
          > across-the-street move, I'm thinking it could potentially need some
          > serious tweaking after it gets here.
          >
          > Please email me if you know of any leads.
          >
          > Thanks

        • Bob Weissman
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007

            CRT-based RPTVs need to be re-converged and re-focused after moving because the three internal CRT projectors get physically knocked out of alignment. Your proposed LCoS RPTV doesn’t have the CRT guns, so that particular issue is irrelevant. But let’s face it: any big TV is going to get bumped around in transit to your house.

            Your question therefore boils down to “(why) do all TVs need to be calibrated?” The simplified answer is (yes) because, from the factory, they are all set to scream “buy me off the shelf” as opposed to “watch me in your home.” In general, brightness, contrast, and sharpness are way too high and color temperature is way too blue.

            No matter where you pay tax on your next HDTV, you will want to calibrate it. Or at least get a high-def DVD with test patterns such as “Digital Video Essentials” and adjust it as best you can yourself.

            - Bob in Sunnyvale