Re: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: TBS-HD on Comcast

  • Jason Gilbert
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 6, 2007
      We're not "pretty much maxed"--we're way beyond maxed. We're missing a
      ton of channels, but we pay the same amount of money, and the amount of
      channels we're missing keeps increasing (they're even taking away analog
      channels now without replacing them with anything new). It completely
      sucks.

      Chris Kast wrote:
      > With all of the channels being broadcast, along with Internet
      > service and OnDemand, the 550 areas are pretty much maxed. Newer and/or
      > upgraded areas have anything from 750MHz to 1GHz.
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 7, 2007

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Kast" <chriskast@...> wrote:

        <snip>

        << To put this in perspective, a single HD channel takes  up approximately 6MHz, an analog SD channel approximately 10MHz, and a digital SD channel about 2MHz (this is assuming the digital transmissions are using MPEG-2 compression which Comcast currently uses). >>

        Comcast combines two HD channels in 6MHz of bandwidth using 256QAM.  I'm surprised to hear it would take 10MHz for one analog SD channel which is only 6MHz OTA, I will check this out.

        LopakaBob

      • unwombat
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 8, 2007
          Thanks for the explanation. Should I assume that if I am not
          receiving any other HD premium stations (I do receive local HD
          broadcasts, ESPN HD, Discovery HD, something called "Mojo", but
          that's about all), I will not receive TBS-HD. I live in Castro
          Valley (94552), and I get a "not authorized" message on 735. Paul
          Bouchard

          wrote:

          > A "550 area" is an area where the max bandwidth the local Comcast
          headend
          > can handle is 550MHz. To put this in perspective, a single HD
          channel takes
          > up approximately 6MHz, an analog SD channel approximately 10MHz,
          and a
          > digital SD channel about 2MHz (this is assuming the digital
          transmissions
          > are using MPEG-2 compression which Comcast currently uses). With
          all of the
          > channels being broadcast, along with Internet service and
          OnDemand, the 550
          > areas are pretty much maxed. Newer and/or upgraded areas have
          anything from
          > 750MHz to 1GHz.
          >
          > On 10/6/07, Terry Esslinger <dtslinger@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com <HDTV-in-SFbay%
          40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "bobby6048" <bobcapl@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > For those of you who are unaware, Comcast added TBS-HD to it's
          system
          > > > on channel 735. It is available to everyone except those in 550
          > > areas.
          > > >

          > > Excuse my ignorance - What is a 550 area?
          > >

          > --
          > Chris

        • Richard Swank
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 8, 2007

            Yes you need the new dish and the “S” band filters to get the new HD channels…..but surprise there are many programs on the new HD channels that are not real 1080i signals but up-converted ones just like the locals…..if it isn’t produced in HD it just isn’t HD no mater if it on the HD version or not.  Goes for all the HD added channels by the way.  At least with the availability of the HD channels if it’s produced in HD we’ll get to see it in HD…..Blows me away that “Survivor man and LA Ink” are in HD.  The Smithsonian stuff is pretty good too!

            Richard Swank

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 9, 2007
              Anyone else having issues with the new HD channels on DirecTV?

              Since the day the first batch were launched a couple of weeks ago,
              I've had almost constant picture freezes and break-ups, pixellation
              and sound drop-outs on around two thirds of the new channels, (e.g.
              Ch 265, Chs 517 through 521).

              I called D* tech support and she said it sounded like one of the
              transponders on my dish was acting up (I'd not noticed any problems
              with my dish until the launch of these new channels) and arranged a
              callout to look it over.

              The tech guy looked at my system and said the system tests seemed OK,
              that a lot of other people were having the same issues, that it would
              be a waste of time for him to go onto the roof and check the dish,
              and that I should wait a few days because "they haven't got these new
              channels working right yet."

              Well, more than a few days have passed, I've still got the same
              problems with not only those channels but also the second batch of
              new HD channels that came on line a few days ago. Also, I've not
              heard of anyone else locally reporting the same problems?

              So, anyone experiencing the same or does it sound like a hardware
              issue unique to me?

              Thanks in advance,

              LL
            • Robert Halton
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 9, 2007
                Mine are working perfectly. Not a single issue.

                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 9, 2007
                  Same here.  No issues at all.  Could be a HW problem on your dish, transponders, multi-switch, or receiver.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 9, 2007
                    I only know about using the HR20 receiver, but presumably they've
                    all got a similar mechanism. There should be a screen where you see the
                    transponder signal strengths. What do you see for the 99 and 103
                    satellites? Some numbers should be zero, but the others should all be
                    strong.

                    Common mistakes include having a splitter/diplexor on the coax.
                    Diplexors for roof antennas used to be OK, but now with the new setup.
                    The diplexor hardware must be physically removed both in the house and
                    on the roof. This could definitely explain flaky results. Most of the
                    other common problems would only explain no service.
                    -- Ethan

                    Lyndon Lloyd wrote:
                    > Anyone else having issues with the new HD channels on DirecTV?
                    >
                    > Since the day the first batch were launched a couple of weeks ago,
                    > I've had almost constant picture freezes and break-ups, pixellation
                    > and sound drop-outs on around two thirds of the new channels, (e.g.
                    > Ch 265, Chs 517 through 521).
                    >
                    > I called D* tech support and she said it sounded like one of the
                    > transponders on my dish was acting up (I'd not noticed any problems
                    > with my dish until the launch of these new channels) and arranged a
                    > callout to look it over.
                    >
                    > The tech guy looked at my system and said the system tests seemed OK,
                    > that a lot of other people were having the same issues, that it would
                    > be a waste of time for him to go onto the roof and check the dish,
                    > and that I should wait a few days because "they haven't got these new
                    > channels working right yet."
                    >
                    > Well, more than a few days have passed, I've still got the same
                    > problems with not only those channels but also the second batch of
                    > new HD channels that came on line a few days ago. Also, I've not
                    > heard of anyone else locally reporting the same problems?
                    >
                    > So, anyone experiencing the same or does it sound like a hardware
                    > issue unique to me?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance,
                    >
                    > LL
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • bigfox90210
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 9, 2007
                      --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Lyndon Lloyd <life@...> wrote:
                      This is a responce to your post with the issues with the drop outs
                      with some of your channels. The problem is not with your equipment as
                      you where led to believe from one of the staff from DirecTV. For I
                      have found the problem as to way they are delivering their signal,
                      Vie throug a repeator system, using some kind of an backhaul system
                      and different receivers,meaning a different C-band receiver for each
                      channel. What I mean is that HBO is found a C-band systen on digital
                      chnannel transponder 103, and that Directv takes this channel
                      converts it down to earth station equipment, this altering the
                      original characteristic of the HBO original feed (Galaxy 1R, 133
                      Degrees TR 103) thus also allowing way to much compression with this
                      channel. This the reason for the problems that you are having, for
                      I'm encountering the same issues with most of the channels, with the
                      many channels having low volume to which is happening with MSNBC
                      channel 356 and over modulation with the sound on 312, the Hall Mark
                      channel, along with the channels that you have mention.
                      As far trying to receive any kind of help, I feel that you are
                      wasting your time, for I have found most of the folks who work with
                      DirecTV, don't have the knowledge know how as to how their system
                      works and they don't even support their OTA, commonly know as their
                      over the air tuner within their DVR-HD or their Regular HD receiver,
                      for I feel which they should. When having the used with my C-band
                      equipment, I have never in my lifetime encounter such a problem, as
                      I'm encountering with these small little dishes. I'm currently using
                      an over the air rooftop antenna for my locals, receiveing more
                      locals, then coming from DirecTV, and given the fact, that the signal
                      is in more line of site, and not riding on a horse, as with the case
                      with most of DirecTV's equipment. Also mentioning here that the sound
                      levels with "Ovwr-The-Air" and C-band, the levels are well balance on
                      both channels, along with 5.1 digital stereo as well.

                      > Anyone else having issues with the new HD channels on DirecTV?
                      >
                      > Since the day the first batch were launched a couple of weeks ago,
                      > I've had almost constant picture freezes and break-ups,
                      pixellation
                      > and sound drop-outs on around two thirds of the new channels,
                      (e.g.
                      > Ch 265, Chs 517 through 521).
                      >
                      > I called D* tech support and she said it sounded like one of the
                      > transponders on my dish was acting up (I'd not noticed any
                      problems
                      > with my dish until the launch of these new channels) and arranged
                      > callout to look it over.
                      >
                      > The tech guy looked at my system and said the system tests seemed
                      OK,
                      > that a lot of other people were having the same issues, that it
                      would
                      > be a waste of time for him to go onto the roof and check the dish,
                      > and that I should wait a few days because "they haven't got these
                      new
                      > channels working right yet."
                      >
                      > Well, more than a few days have passed, I've still got the same
                      > problems with not only those channels but also the second batch of
                      > new HD channels that came on line a few days ago. Also, I've not
                      > heard of anyone else locally reporting the same problems?
                      >
                      > So, anyone experiencing the same or does it sound like a hardware
                      > issue unique to me?
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance,
                      >
                      > LL

                    • Richard Swank
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 10, 2007

                        Mine are working perfectly as well….could be as simple as an antenna alignment.  Go through the setup and make sure all the satellites are hitting around 70.  The New S band units will either be OK or bad.  No need to guess the satellite alignment check will tell if it’s an alignment or LNA problem.

                        Richard Swank

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 11, 2007
                          Same here. No problems.