RE: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KNTV news at 11 via comcast... audio low????

  • bill weber
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2007

      Unfortunately, the system NBC is using causes me to set both my tv and DTV box to max volume to hear. Its almost like they expect one to use an amplifier. Richard has used the same GL 4200a DTV box I use...I'm surprised he keeps touting the NBC solution. KCBS allows me to set my volume levels to midrange, switch from computer source to DTV box without scareing the dog.

      > To: HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com
      > From: keenan@...
      > Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 23:50:43 +0000
      > Subject: [HDTV-in-SFbay] Re: KNTV news at 11 via comcast... audio low????
      >
      > Richard Swank has mentioned a few times here that KNTV is actually
      > within the exact specs for Dolby Digital broadcast audio levels, and
      > that it's the other local stations that are running out of spec(louder).
      >
      > This is admirable, but, the question is, is it practical given how the
      > other stations run their audio, and I think the answer is no, it's not
      > practical, in fact, it's an annoyance.
      >
      > Unless the engineering departments of these local stations can come to
      > an agreement over audio settings, something I personally doubt will
      > ever happen given that "louder" has always been an easy way of getting
      > attention, then KNTV may as well just go with the flow and run their
      > audio levels like everyone else in the market.
      >
      > 5-6dbs is almost twice the perceived loudness difference, and when
      > changing from KNTV to another station to get blown out of your seat by
      > the difference in levels is very annoying. Likewise, to have to crank
      > up the volume just to hear the dialog when switching to KNTV is just
      > as annoying.
      >
      > Lets be honest, no body watches KNTV 24/7, we all watch other channels
      > at different times, KNTV should "comform" to the market, even if it's
      > not technically correct.
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, Larry Kenney <Larry@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > It's not a Comcast problem. The audio on KNTV-11 is low OTA too.
      > > KPIX-DT is higher than the others.
      > >
      > > Larry
      > > SF
      > >
      > > - - -
      > >
      > > Leo G. Divinagracia III wrote:
      > > >

      > > > i have noticed that when i watch the 11pm news, when bouncing around
      > > > from kgo, to kron then to kntv, the audio is lower by like 5-7db (my
      > > > volume knob measurement). kpix is about the same as the other 2...
      > > >
      > > > this is via my comcast dvr box...
      > > >
      > > > anyone get this via OTA? or dish/d*?

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > mailto:HDTV-in-SFbay-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > mailto:HDTV-in-SFbay-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Make your little one a shining star! Shine on!
    • Robert (Bob) P. Andris
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2007
        Watched the game OTA, and got the same SD. Yuck!

        Bob

        > 4. KNTV-DT in dazzling SD
        > Posted by: "mischeviousrat" kevdig@... mischeviousrat
        > Date: Fri Sep 7, 2007 1:10 am ((PDT))
        >
        > Did the last part of the NFL game switch to SD for anyone else?
        >
        > I caught part of "The Tonight Show". It seemed to also be in SD?
        >
        > kevin

      • Bob_Liss
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8, 2007
          It's time these problems stopped! I've been watching HD programming
          for seven years now and enough with the resolution dropping back to
          SD, enough with mixing up Dolby Digital 5.1 sound with Dolby Pro
          Logic sound resulting in reduced quality (no surround at all) or only
          surround effects, enough!

          The audience for the digital channels , while still relatively small,
          is much larger than it used to be. The majority of people obiously
          still watch the analog channels, however, those watching the digital
          channels shouldn't have to put up with these problems. While they've
          diminished in number they still happen with some regularity. Will
          they continue into February 2009 after the analog channels have been
          shut down? Maybe when everyone is watching the digital channels
          station operators/network owners will care more about getting it
          right. I personally don't accept the response that it was "human
          error". The transition has been on for more than the seven years I've
          been watching. Get your act together and quit making excuses!

          --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "Robert (Bob) P. Andris"
          <bob@...> wrote:

          > Watched the game OTA, and got the same SD. Yuck!
          >
          > Bob
          >

          > > 4. KNTV-DT in dazzling SD
          > > Posted by: "mischeviousrat" kevdig@... mischeviousrat
          > > Date: Fri Sep 7, 2007 1:10 am ((PDT))
          > >
          > > Did the last part of the NFL game switch to SD for anyone else?
          > >
          > > I caught part of "The Tonight Show". It seemed to also be in SD?
          > >
          > > kevin

        • cHANCE
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 10, 2007
            the following link is an article on dialnorm
            "http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0082/t.8268.html"

            the key factor is that an NBC engineer is the cheif guy on the audio
            committee pushing dialnorm, so they are going to ride the ship sink or
            swim, so we are stuck with this for now

            maybe it is just me, but i really don't notice much of a volume
            difference problem on any of the main networks between programs and
            commercials. often it is just an issue with local vs national or
            sometimes a live program.

            the issue now is not as much dialnorm'ing the programming on the
            single network as it is getting all networks to do the same thing.
            having one network do something that all the others are not is
            basically making it worse.

            --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, bill weber <bweber2k@...> wrote:

            > Unfortunately, the system NBC is using causes me to set both my tv
            and DTV box to max volume to hear. Its almost like they expect one to
            use an amplifier. Richard has used the same GL 4200a DTV box I
            use...I'm surprised he keeps touting the NBC solution. KCBS allows me
            to set my volume levels to midrange, switch from computer source to
            DTV box without scareing the dog.

            > http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us

          • wilfsdad1965
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 10, 2007
              i don't think this issue is as much to do with programss v commercials
              (that's always been the case). it's just that if you flip between
              channels like i was on sat watching sport you have to pump up the vol
              on nbc for the golf, and then you are deafened when you go back to abc
              cbs etc. i'm not blaming anyone i just hope they can come to some
              consensus on a standard normal volume.
              btw - the 10pm news on fox ktvu news is quiet on the volume stakes too.

              -- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "cHANCE" <ctspam@...> wrote:

              > the following link is an article on dialnorm
              > "http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0082/t.8268.html"
              >
              > the key factor is that an NBC engineer is the cheif guy on the audio
              > committee pushing dialnorm, so they are going to ride the ship sink or
              > swim, so we are stuck with this for now
              >

              > maybe it is just me, but i really don't notice much of a volume
              > difference problem on any of the main networks between programs and
              > commercials. often it is just an issue with local vs national or
              > sometimes a live program.
              >
              > the issue now is not as much dialnorm'ing the programming on the
              > single network as it is getting all networks to do the same thing.
              > having one network do something that all the others are not is
              > basically making it worse.
              >

              > --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, bill weber <bweber2k@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Unfortunately, the system NBC is using causes me to set both my tv
              > and DTV box to max volume to hear. Its almost like they expect one to
              > use an amplifier. Richard has used the same GL 4200a DTV box I
              > use...I'm surprised he keeps touting the NBC solution. KCBS allows me
              > to set my volume levels to midrange, switch from computer source to
              > DTV box without scareing the dog.
              > >
              > > http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us

            • keenan424
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                I guess KNTV/NBC is never going to fix this audio problem, and it is a
                problem, make no mistake about that. I don't care that they claim they
                are doing it right and everyone is doing it wrong, when I have to
                crank up the gain by more than 15dbs above what the other channels are
                at just to hear Journeyman tonight, it's a problem.