Please advise on OTA antenna

  • kpslo_ross
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2007
      I picked up an outdoor antenna at home depot this week, a GE branded
      thing manufactured by Jasco and labeled "Futura." The antenna is very
      small and light, encased in a plastic casing and is almost exactly
      the same as this model, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
      productId=2253765. It probably is, except for the branding. IT's
      Vhf/Uhf omnidirectional and I ran it to my receiver (htpc vista media
      center) using r6 wire.

      I live in Alameda, and am able to get all the channels I want with
      it, except 2, which are KTEH and KICU. I get KNTV with at least 70%
      all the time, the rest are coming in fully. I understand I'm lucky to
      get such a good reception, but I would still love to get these other
      2 sations.

      So I picked up a CM4228 at Fry's since they were on sale for less
      than what I paid for the GE thing. I wonder if it's worth it to try
      the CM? It's not the price, it's the hassle of getting on top of my 2
      story duplex to install the sucker. I hear many different stories
      about this antenna and it's directional feature. Some say it receives
      fairly well through the back if you're close enough to the
      transmitter.

      So, if I were to point it south, would it be fair to hope that I'd
      still retain my access to all my Sutro stations as well as KTEH and
      KICU? Do many folks this far from Monument Peak get 54? Would it be
      better to stay with the GE since it works so well and with the coming
      change in 2009 of KGO going VHF, would it be better to stick with
      what I've got, which receives both? Should I mess with what's working
      great just for the sake of 2 channels?

      Also, does anyone know if any of the KTEH digital stations are the
      same as the analog 54? If it's not, I'll just leave it.

      I've been lurking for months reading a lot of your postings, and am
      grateful for you sharing your knowledge. Thanks!

      Ross
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
        You got your answers on the AVS Forum while you waited to get approved
        here. Good luck....

        --- In HDTV-in-SFbay@yahoogroups.com, "kpslo_ross" <rossdtaylor@...>
        wrote:

        > I picked up an outdoor antenna at home depot this week, a GE branded
        > thing manufactured by Jasco and labeled "Futura." The antenna is very
        > small and light, encased in a plastic casing and is almost exactly
        > the same as this model, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
        > productId=2253765. It probably is, except for the branding. IT's
        > Vhf/Uhf omnidirectional and I ran it to my receiver (htpc vista media
        > center) using r6 wire.
        >
        > I live in Alameda, and am able to get all the channels I want with
        > it, except 2, which are KTEH and KICU. I get KNTV with at least 70%
        > all the time, the rest are coming in fully. I understand I'm lucky to
        > get such a good reception, but I would still love to get these other
        > 2 sations.
        >
        > So I picked up a CM4228 at Fry's since they were on sale for less
        > than what I paid for the GE thing. I wonder if it's worth it to try
        > the CM? It's not the price, it's the hassle of getting on top of my 2
        > story duplex to install the sucker. I hear many different stories
        > about this antenna and it's directional feature. Some say it receives
        > fairly well through the back if you're close enough to the
        > transmitter.
        >
        > So, if I were to point it south, would it be fair to hope that I'd
        > still retain my access to all my Sutro stations as well as KTEH and
        > KICU? Do many folks this far from Monument Peak get 54? Would it be
        > better to stay with the GE since it works so well and with the coming
        > change in 2009 of KGO going VHF, would it be better to stick with
        > what I've got, which receives both? Should I mess with what's working
        > great just for the sake of 2 channels?
        >
        > Also, does anyone know if any of the KTEH digital stations are the
        > same as the analog 54? If it's not, I'll just leave it.
        >
        > I've been lurking for months reading a lot of your postings, and am
        > grateful for you sharing your knowledge. Thanks!
        >
        > Ross

      • les94111
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
          As someone from the AVS suggested, since your antenna is directional,
          you need another antenna for signals not from Sutro Tower. I am also
          live in Alameda and I needed 2 silver sensors + a rabbit ear antenna
          to receive all stations.

          wrote:

          > I picked up an outdoor antenna at home depot this week, a GE branded
          > thing manufactured by Jasco and labeled "Futura." The antenna is very
          > small and light, encased in a plastic casing and is almost exactly
          > the same as this model, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?
          > productId=2253765. It probably is, except for the branding. IT's
          > Vhf/Uhf omnidirectional and I ran it to my receiver (htpc vista media
          > center) using r6 wire.
          >
          > I live in Alameda, and am able to get all the channels I want with
          > it, except 2, which are KTEH and KICU. I get KNTV with at least 70%
          > all the time, the rest are coming in fully. I understand I'm lucky to
          > get such a good reception, but I would still love to get these other
          > 2 sations.
          >
          > So I picked up a CM4228 at Fry's since they were on sale for less
          > than what I paid for the GE thing. I wonder if it's worth it to try
          > the CM? It's not the price, it's the hassle of getting on top of my 2
          > story duplex to install the sucker. I hear many different stories
          > about this antenna and it's directional feature. Some say it receives
          > fairly well through the back if you're close enough to the
          > transmitter.
          >
          > So, if I were to point it south, would it be fair to hope that I'd
          > still retain my access to all my Sutro stations as well as KTEH and
          > KICU? Do many folks this far from Monument Peak get 54? Would it be
          > better to stay with the GE since it works so well and with the coming
          > change in 2009 of KGO going VHF, would it be better to stick with
          > what I've got, which receives both? Should I mess with what's working
          > great just for the sake of 2 channels?
          >
          > Also, does anyone know if any of the KTEH digital stations are the
          > same as the analog 54? If it's not, I'll just leave it.
          >
          > I've been lurking for months reading a lot of your postings, and am
          > grateful for you sharing your knowledge. Thanks!
          >
          > Ross

        • Ross Taylor
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007

            Thanks for your help!